android
Old 03-04-2009, 02:39 PM

Default ZVM 60 Firmware issues - Help!

Hi. I've got a ZVM 60 (over 2 years old) which started having charging problems. I tried using my son's X-fi usb/mains charger which had no effect and then read about using a PSP charger. This did the trick and fully charged the player.

I then wanted to sync on some new music but neither of my computers picked up the player when connected. I tried two dongles and my docking station to no effect. Reading around, I saw suggestions that similar problems could be firmware related so I connected up the player with it started in recovery mode and tried to reload firmware. Nothing! I then tried formatting (everything is backed up) and doing it again. Still nothing.

From reading more (dangerous I know!), this suggested that it could be a motherboard problem so I bought a defective player from ebay (dead battery) and took it apart. The motherboard wasn't the same! Luckily my wife's ZVM 30 had the same motherboard so I repaired the "new" ZVM 30 with her old battery and put her music on that. I connected mine up to the new motherboard and then up to my computer. This picked up the ZVM enough for the Creative MP3 recovery tool to pick up the right drivers.

However, once downloaded, it does not pick up the player! Also, the player itself just goes to "docked" status and you can't move through the recovery menu! The version showing is v0.0.22.

Please help somebody! Obviously I can put the spare 30gb HDD into the player but would rather not as I had over 30gb on the player before!

Thanks in anticipation

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello. It sounds like you were on the right track until you bought another ZVM. After reading your post, it sounds to me like you issue is more with the computer (software/drivers) than with the ZVM. Ay chance you have another computer that you could try to connect the ZVM to and reload the firmware?

Zen FAQ

Old 03-04-2009, 04:55 PM

Thanks Bobby.

I have tried on two different computers but will use another one this weekend and update afterwards. I've had a slight development since I posted -

If I put the 30GB hard drive in, switch on and off and then swap drives again quickly, the 60GB boots up into the menu screen but and will navigate through this, going to a syncing status when connected up. However, Device Manager picks it up as a MTP Device not a ZVM. I tried reinstalling the ZVM drivers but nothing happened. My wife's ZVM is, however, recognised as being a Zen!

Does any of this shed any light on things?

Old 03-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceeducation View Post
Thanks Bobby.
No problem.

Quote:
If I put the 30GB hard drive in, switch on and off and then swap drives again quickly, the 60GB boots up into the menu screen but and will navigate through this, going to a syncing status when connected up.
You mean show the Docked screen?

Quote:
However, Device Manager picks it up as a MTP Device not a ZVM.
As long as it show as MTP Device, the software won't detect it being connected properly. It should be showing as the Zen Vision M. Have you tried updating the driver (instead of reinstalling) since it does seem to be loading and working ok?

Zen FAQ

Old 03-16-2009, 06:21 PM

Hi Bobby,

Thanks again for your advice.

I've tried the ZVM with other computers and checked that the drivers are up to date. Still nothing. In certain applications the computers recognised the player as a ZVM but when it gets to the crucial stages, like updating the firmware it stops being recognised.

To clarify, when I swap over the hard drives quickly, the ZVM 60 boots up as if nothing wrong and carries over the ZVM 30's menu screens. Then when connected to the computer it appears to be syncing (but isn't).

I'm at a total loss as to what to do here!

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Nic

Old 03-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
To clarify, when I swap over the hard drives quickly, the ZVM 60 boots up as if nothing wrong and carries over the ZVM 30's menu screens. Then when connected to the computer it appears to be syncing (but isn't).
This sounds like an area I would suspect problems with. Swapping the drives also means swapping the firmware operating on the ZVM. The firmware resides on the hard drive. In order for the ZVM to function correctly, the firmware needs to be consistent with the type of ZVM (mainboard) used in the ZVM regardless of the hard drive or its size.

Zen FAQ

Old 03-21-2009, 11:15 AM

Great! Thanks Bobby.

Is there anyway to put the appropriate firmware on the other drive? I checked the old motherboard with both HDDs but there was no response so I think I'm right in thinking that the connection on the old motherboard was dead.

A couple of other things, when I use Creative's MP3 recovery tool, it picks up the player as a ZVM and downloads the up to date firmware. However, it then can't find the player to install it on. Also, when using the 30gb's firmware, it picks up the player as a ZVM but only shows it as 50gb storage media but you can't do anything with it.

Is there anyway of checking compatibility of motherboards? Where are the serial numbers located? Or do you think I'm just going to have to give up and use the 30GB HDD?

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks

Nic

Old 03-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Great! Thanks Bobby.
No problem.

Quote:
Is there anyway to put the appropriate firmware on the other drive?
Only when the drive is installed in the ZVM can this be done.

Quote:
Also, when using the 30gb's firmware, it picks up the player as a ZVM but only shows it as 50gb storage media but you can't do anything with it.
The 50MB partition you are seeing is the partition set aside for the firmware. When no firmware is install, this is all you will see and with no access to the data partition until the firmware is installed.

Quote:
Is there anyway of checking compatibility of motherboards?
30GB ZVM = 30GB ZVM Firmware Version regardless of hard drive installed.

60GB ZVM = 60GB ZVM Firmware Version regardless of hard drive installed.

Zen FAQ

Old 03-31-2009, 03:43 PM

Is the best thing to buy a bigger hard drive? I've seen threads where people have been installing new larger hard drives into their ZVMs. If so, how do you get the firmware onto the new drive?

Thanks

Nic