android
Old 03-04-2009, 09:17 PM

Default Fuze shipped to Canada - Charged Import Fees?

Any other Canadians out there that can relate to ordering from the US. My Fuze hasn't been delivered yet, but I already see this in the UPS tracking:

PACKAGE DATA PROCESSED BY BROKERAGE. WAITING FOR CLEARANCE

For what possible reason could there be to slap on an import fee on a goddamned mp3 player? I ordered from B&H Photo, has anyone else gone through this stupidity?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-04-2009, 10:54 PM

If they ship from the US to you, then the Canadian government is going to charge you extra for importing electronics. Stupid or not, that's how they work.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayne View Post
Any other Canadians out there that can relate to ordering from the US. My Fuze hasn't been delivered yet, but I already see this in the UPS tracking:

PACKAGE DATA PROCESSED BY BROKERAGE. WAITING FOR CLEARANCE

For what possible reason could there be to slap on an import fee on a goddamned mp3 player? I ordered from B&H Photo, has anyone else gone through this stupidity?
Zayne:

I thought you understood from your previous thread that you were going to get dinged. Shipping to Canada thru UPS is stupidity. You will probably pay a brokerage fee, GST, PST (if applicable), HST (if applicable), and possibly duty.

The same would happen if shipped USPS/Canada Post except more packages slip through uncharged, and the brokerage fee is less.

Personally I refuse to deal with companies using UPS.

Ah, the cost of NEEDING a black 8GB one.

Steve

Old 03-05-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Zayne:

I thought you understood from your previous thread that you were going to get dinged. Shipping to Canada thru UPS is stupidity. You will probably pay a brokerage fee, GST, PST (if applicable), HST (if applicable), and possibly duty.

The same would happen if shipped USPS/Canada Post except more packages slip through uncharged, and the brokerage fee is less.

Personally I refuse to deal with companies using UPS.

Ah, the cost of NEEDING a black 8GB one.

Steve
I agree, I asked and they refused to ship it USPS. I don't mind not having tracking and waiting a bit longer if I don't get slammed with ridiculous fees for no reason. It's going to end up being like $50 just for that. I always ask for USPS, but we'll see how large the fee is. Jugding by that, it'll determine if I order from the US again or not.

The Government always finds a way to gouge more money out of you, lol.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayne View Post
I agree, I asked and they refused to ship it USPS.
Of course they did. USPS charges a lot more to track and insure a packages than UPS does, so such a contract with USPS would cost them a fortune.

How can you live in Canada, order things online, and not know these things? It's not like it's a brand new policy that was implemented yesterday, this is how international shipping works and always has worked.

By the way, they are unlikely to refund you any shipping charges if you send it back, so you would still be out some money.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Of course they did. USPS charges a lot more to track and insure a packages than UPS does, so such a contract with USPS would cost them a fortune.
They could use USPS for Canadian orders, and they might get more customers that way. They can just up the shipping fees to cover their extra costs, and we'll probably complain less.

Steve

Old 03-05-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
They could use USPS for Canadian orders, and they might get more customers that way. They can just up the shipping fees to cover their extra costs, and we'll probably complain less.
Probably.... or you can request FedEx

The company I work for won't use USPS except to military addresses because if the package is lost it can't be traced and the cost of insuring it to get reimbursed when that happens is too high. Meaning if you want the order to ship to your FPO then you will be charged extra for shipping.

Though my point was mainly that UPS has done this for as long as they have been shipping internationally... it really should not come as a surprise to anyone anymore.