android
Old 03-05-2009, 07:44 PM

Default Charge Time for Sansa clip?

What's the average full power charge time for my clip? I charged it for like 3 hours and the clip died on me after a couple of hours of playtime....

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-05-2009, 07:57 PM

Should take around 3.3 hours to charge, although some low-power USB ports may not be able to provide enough charge power.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-05-2009, 08:01 PM

Thanks, I'm upto 4 hours this time and it shows a full charge, will have to try again....

Old 03-05-2009, 08:04 PM

4 is good, per the manual it should give you 15 hours of play time without tinkering, but most report 12 to 13 hours, unless you just let it play.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-06-2009, 07:10 AM

3 to 4 hours...and i get around 11 to 12 hours of play time on VBR V2 , so yes its normal..
Amp: FiiO E5(Nationite EDITION)

Old 03-06-2009, 02:17 PM

4 hours gives you full power. I usually leave it charging over night so its ready to go in the morning.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I usually don't run mine below 60-70%, and I only charge with an AC wall charger, which is faster than a USB port. So how long for a full charge? I'm not sure

Old 03-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Pretty much any contemporary lithium polymer battery device can charge no faster then 3 hours from fully depleted to fully charged. If you only deplete them to a fraction of that they charge much faster. For devices like the clip where the battery is much less then 1000mah, USB and AC chargers should charge at more or less the same speed (if they don't then theres probably a bug in the firmware and either the battery is being charged faster or slower then optimal).

Old 03-06-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Pretty much any contemporary lithium polymer battery device can charge no faster then 3 hours from fully depleted to fully charged. If you only deplete them to a fraction of that they charge much faster. For devices like the clip where the battery is much less then 1000mah, USB and AC chargers should charge at more or less the same speed (if they don't then theres probably a bug in the firmware and either the battery is being charged faster or slower then optimal).
I have a sony MZ-M200 minidisc player, uses one of the lithium polymer batteries about the size of a stick of chewing gum, and it charges in 60min, even counts down the minutes on the display as it charges.

It definately doesn't get the runtime of the clip though, it gets about 4hours of recording per charge. I mainly use it for recording and convert recordings on the PC for use on the clip, etc.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougak View Post
I have a sony MZ-M200 minidisc player, uses one of the lithium polymer batteries about the size of a stick of chewing gum, and it charges in 60min, even counts down the minutes on the display as it charges.
Its funny you mention that. You can very quickly charge a device from discharged to ~80% charged. Takes about an hour, sometimes less. I'd guess your device is simply configured to discharge from 0-80-90% charged.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:10 PM

my Clip take about 3.5 hours to full battery and about 13 hours playing.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I suspect the Clip charges faster from the AC charger because the screen goes to sleep within seconds, as opposed to staying on continuously for an hour when you connect to the USB port. It's not a huge time difference, however.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Its funny you mention that. You can very quickly charge a device from discharged to ~80% charged. Takes about an hour, sometimes less. I'd guess your device is simply configured to discharge from 0-80-90% charged.
Yeah I have heard that about Li-Ion batteries before. I am not sure if the minidisc player is only discharging it to 20% so it can be charged faster, or if that countdown is only really to 80% charge, and the remaining 20% trickles in if you leave it on the charger. After the minidisc player gets to 00 minutes remaining for the charging, it just shuts off.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I suspect the Clip charges faster from the AC charger because the screen goes to sleep within seconds, as opposed to staying on continuously for an hour when you connect to the USB port. It's not a huge time difference, however.
Unless I misunderstand, when on AC, the screen goes blank per your setting for the screen going off; when recharging via USB, SanDisk has set the firmware to turn off the screen at an hour.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Unless I misunderstand, when on AC, the screen goes blank per your setting for the screen going off; when recharging via USB, SanDisk has set the firmware to turn off the screen at an hour.
That's what I was saying ......as an explanation for why I believe the wall charger accomplishes the task faster than the USB port. Guess I was a little vague with my intent, sorry

Old 04-22-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougak View Post
Congrats on the the Sony MZ-RH1 /Mz-m200. It is such a great little unit. I have one to. Shame that Minidisc is no longer being manufactured or at least that is what i last heard. The Sound quality is Superb. One can truly hear the difference especially with a good pair of headphones.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:58 AM

Yea the slow charge time is about the only thing i dont like about the clip. The Fuze on the other hand completely charges for me in about a hour. Its all good though i love them both!