android
Old 11-13-2006, 06:30 AM

Default Rockbox won't play

Last night I copied some more music over to my X5 and moved some of the files (all .flac) into some other directories.

As I had also recently had some trouble creating some config files (it would sure be nice if, when changing a setting and then wanting to save it, that it would save it into the one that is currently loaded!) I went in and deleted several *.cfg files that I created by mistake.

After that I gave it a nice charging.

This morning it won't play.

I can see the music directory and files, but when I browse to one and attempt to play, the window shows: unknown artist, etc... files not found and nothing happens.

I can still access the music via USB. Before I go to the extreme of uninstalling Rockbox, I was hoping someone might have an idea? Maybe just try reinstalling Rockbox on top of the current installation?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-13-2006, 06:42 AM

Not sure how I fixed it, but this is what I did.

I browsed into the .rockbox directory which basically soft rebooted it. Now it works fine.

I'm beginning to think Rockbox is more trouble than it is worth. Setting up FM presets is a total pain. Saving settings files (.cfg files) is also a pain.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:11 AM

Changed the thread title from "X5" to "Rockbox"...

BTW, I never had any troubles with Rockbox - although you're absolutely right, the onscreen keyboard for saving .cfg's is a real pain.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:46 AM

I've noticed some odd Rockbox stability issues here & there, but I'm not sure I could go back to the OE firmware now. Just "fade on pause" is enough to keep me with Rockbox, let alone WPS files & better SQ.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:54 AM

Heh, the original firmware can also fade on pause... and the SQ is the same, but you surely mean the parametric EQ, which is much better on Rockbox.

Old 11-13-2006, 01:47 PM

Hmm, I never noticed that the Cowon firmware could fade on pause - ah well!

I don't agree about the SQ though, on flat settings I feel that the OE firmware sounds processed & splashy, although both OE & Rockbox are light on bass with my earphones. Once the EQ is used, Rockbox sounds much better than the OE.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:04 PM

Being able to save various profiles with various settings to me is the best reason to use Rockbox. I like having different profiles for different output devices, i.e. one for one set of earphones, one for another, one when connecting into a stereo, etc.

It just takes some getting used to.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:43 PM

Yes, I do it a similar way... Original FW + BBE for my Ultimate Ears, Rockbox for line-out and other headphones.