android
Old 05-11-2009, 06:32 PM

how does the ipod touch screen compare to the p3's as in durability, scratch resistance?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-12-2009, 02:04 PM

iPod Touch screen is definitely more likely to get injured...not sure if it's as impervious to scratches, it's good though. You are more likely to injure the screen by sitting on it somehow with the wrong thing between your body and the iPod.

The back of the P3 will show some scratches when sharing space with keys, lighters, etc. fairly easy however, unlike what you might read around the web. Definitely way less than the bling-bling iPod Touch of course.

My 2 year old has a thing now where he tries to get a moment of opportunity to grab the P3 or Q2 and go use it as a hammer on his desk in the playroom. Neither one has any visible scars from it...nothing loose, everything is perfect like they came in the box. I have a lot of respect for the build quality that Samsung is putting into their designs.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:17 PM

just got my p3 today and ive owned and iphone and P2 so i have experience with both. If you want better sound quality and just a solid music player and nothing else then go with the P3. if you want tons of games and apps (that you play for a few days then never touch again), wifi and excellent touch fluidity then go with the itouch. the only tradeoff is with the itouch sound quality sucks as with all apple products and theyre way overpriced. you can probably pick up a 32gig P3 for the same price as a 16gig itouch. another thing is that itouches get extremely hot after extended app use and as with all apple products again battery life probably sucks (had to charge my iphone everynight but idk about the itouch)

decisions up to you. you should try out both and see what you like. im not trying to be bias believe me i wanted to love my iphone but i just couldnt. the build quality just didnt meet my expectations and i sold it to buy a P3 and nokia e71x. all the features that were supposed to make the phone awesome never really performed that well in real life situations because they would either always crash or i had no reception. it was as if apple tried to build the tallest building in the world but they never had a solid foundation to build off of in the first place. (sorry for that lame analogy lol)

Old 05-13-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl1030 View Post
just got my p3 today and ive owned and iphone and P2 so i have experience with both. If you want better sound quality and just a solid music player and nothing else then go with the P3. if you want tons of games and apps (that you play for a few days then never touch again), wifi and excellent touch fluidity then go with the itouch. the only tradeoff is with the itouch sound quality sucks as with all apple products and theyre way overpriced. you can probably pick up a 32gig P3 for the same price as a 16gig itouch. another thing is that itouches get extremely hot after extended app use and as with all apple products again battery life probably sucks (had to charge my iphone everynight but idk about the itouch)

decisions up to you. you should try out both and see what you like. im not trying to be bias believe me i wanted to love my iphone but i just couldnt. the build quality just didnt meet my expectations and i sold it to buy a P3 and nokia e71x. all the features that were supposed to make the phone awesome never really performed that well in real life situations because they would either always crash or i had no reception. it was as if apple tried to build the tallest building in the world but they never had a solid foundation to build off of in the first place. (sorry for that lame analogy lol)
How would you compare the video quality between the two...I'm glad you posted because I'm wanting to hear from someone who has exp. in both.

For me sound and video are #1. I know sound is way better on P3 but I don't know about the video..other than the touch's screen is a bit larger.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:22 PM

i never really watched videos from my P3 but as for quality on the itouch it was pretty good. if i were to pick i would definitely choose the itouch as a video player over the P3 just because of the huge screen.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:05 AM

I use the P3 for videos on the run. The 3 inch screen is 0.5 inches smaller than the ipod touch diagonally but the touch does not :
1) Play divx/xvid and cos of its content/cost structure probably never will
2) Have a kind of a digest mode akin to dvd track selection
which is why I bought a P3. More for point 1 than 2.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:31 PM

There is indeed a massive difference in price. I got my 8GB shipped after tax from B&H for the same price as my sister's 8GB iPod nano from Amazon. Hardly any contest there.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:45 PM

If you're interested in music . P3 FTW. But if you don't care about quality about music and you want features and entertainment go for the Touch. I have the touch but I odn't need games or applicaitons and stuff. But I lvoe the P3 more because I love listneing to music and that's the reason why I go after high quality players. Touches SOUND quality is NOTHING comparing to the P3. With a great headphone you can hear quality 10x better than you would in an iTouch and the volume may not even be at max to experience deep bass, my touch when its at max it doesn't even have great of a bass comparing to the P3.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:41 AM

Like others have said, it just depends on what you want from your player. If you want good quality music, and video, with a simple UI, get the P3. Has the most amazing sound quality I have heard from an MP3 player thus far, and supports far more formats than the iPod.

But if you want something for fun, organization, etc. go with the Touch.

Quote:
I never was a fan of apple's user interfaces. Pc under linux or widows, i get it to do what i want. Put me in front of a mac, it does everything but what i want.
I borrowed an Ipod once, took me some time to figure out. Just like a felt quickly more at ease with the P3 than the S9
Somehow, me and appele's designer seams to be on two different wavelenght.
Same here, Apples stuff is too automated for me, I like to be able to set things the way I would like them to be set, not what the people at Apple think they should be. (such as the lack of EQ on the iPods....)

Old 06-30-2009, 11:47 AM

I'd have to agree with the P3 supporters on this one. Like everyone else has reiterated, it's all about the features and what you really want. Because I'm a university student and have access to computers/laptops/cell phones with internet capabilities readily, I don't fell Wi-Fi is that big of a feature for me. Of course I am in classes often and a discrete way to pass the time (flash games) during boring lectures and the ability to take calls while I listen to music (my cell is usually in my backpack) are definite benefits. I also enjoy the alarm clock and calendar apps for planning papers/meetings/ect. Plus an added bonus is the shock and gleeful surprise people get when they find out you have a kickiní MP3 that ISN'T Ipod. Also, like people have said, if Samsung is developing a comparable widget based (and probably flash based) applications/games store, that could close the gap slightly. Plus, I wouldn't be a good student if I didn't care about costs. I'm not made of money and an audiophile at heart, So I have to go with a better audio sound and Samsung is definitely more competitively priced. Plus I really enjoy how sturdy the P3 feels (I've given it a couple of pretty good drops, dropped my back-pack on it once, and it kept on truckiní like a champ)

But once again, all the members, especially Olley (oh great ABI god!) have great points, just consider the functions you want most and what your going to use it for, then consider the specs, that'll lead you to your best option, you can't go wrong. Good luck!
"How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortunes of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it..." - Adam Smith

Old 06-30-2009, 12:08 PM

well, another thing to add... but it seems to me that the P3 has a better screen. the colors look clearer and brighter on the P3... but that is just me, you may think otherwise...

Old 07-01-2009, 10:38 AM

It is clearer, I noticed that too.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
With what Apple just announced, the Touch is getting more interesting. I preferred the P2 because of Bluetooth, but in June/July the 2nd gen Touch will get it's bluetooth chip activated for stereo headphones A2DP and more. It also will become even more of a PDA with cut & paste, search, and so on.
My bro has 2nd gen. touch and it does not have bluetooth!!

Old 07-05-2009, 05:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chltmdwp View Post
I just sold my Touch 2G, and it does have blue tooth for headphones. He needs to go into the settings to enable and pair the device w/a set of BT headphones.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chltmdwp View Post
It requires the 3.0 firmware update. I'll warn you that although it gets stereo bluetooth, that implementation is the crappiest I've seen on any player. No track control from the headset. No volume control from the player.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ggRoller View Post
how does the ipod touch screen compare to the p3's as in durability, scratch resistance?
P3 screen is pretty much impervious, I did the same kind of tests that were in that video, and not a scratch. You would pretty much need a pocket of diamonds to scratch it, but I don't think many of us do that anyway...

Old 07-05-2009, 04:08 PM

The ipod touch screen is not scratch resistant. My friend has a pretty good scratch on hers by it just being in her purse. A case and a screen protector is a must.

On the other hand the P3s screen is pretty much 'Superman-like'. Super scratch resistance. Look at this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84GA3...layer_embedded

Old 07-05-2009, 05:45 PM

Sadly, that's not completely true, somehow I picked up a couple of scratches on my screen already and I only cary it in a hip pouch and in my custom speaker box (made out of cardboard) at work with plastic cased speakers.

I'm guessing my wedding band has platinum mixed with the white gold and maybe it scratched the tempered glass? Either way, it's not even 90 days old and I have a deep tiny gouge in my screen and FutureShop doesn't have the player anymore so "returning" it for a new one is futile.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:32 AM

Itouched once, they said it was ok at the time but later claimed it wasn't consentual...I now have a restraining order against me. That tipped me to the P3. (Btw, I'm kidding! I just really like the P3 )
"How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortunes of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it..." - Adam Smith

Old 07-07-2009, 03:09 AM

Since we're on the topic of scratches, I ordered a silicone skin for my P3, not because I thought it wouldnt resist the more normal scratches but I am travelling back from the UK to India and airport security have this thing where they dont treat mp3 players or phones right. Especially if you travel through the middle east or India, they like to toss the basket thingy with your keys and stuff through and am sure the screen would probably get scratched. Better safe than sorry!