android
Old 03-19-2009, 02:07 PM

I'll get the pics of the V2 hardware up tonight. My pics show the stickers on the chips though.. it'll be some time before I can get more pics of the V2 though..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-20-2009, 05:24 AM

Quote:
You won't know until you get it and check the Settings menu's info screen. Are you asking because you want Rockbox, or are you worried about things mentioned in the first post in this thread? I have to ask because my Rev. 1 Fuze has none of the issues the OP has with his....mine works fine, and gets used several hours a day. Also, contrary to what the OP thinks, you can still buy a blue Fuze, in the 4GB capacity....just like always
Yes, I was asking, because I want to use Rockbox. For now I got a Sansa E100 with Rockbox, but I want to have a replacement if it brakes and the Fuze V1 seems to be a very good replacement (especially for my wallet).

Old 04-01-2009, 01:36 PM

Default Pics of internals:)

My apologies for the delay..things have been crazy around here lately..

Here are the pictures of the internals. The Version 2 is always on the left of the photos.

Description of the units shown:

Ver 1.3- 4GB model- The one with the clipping issues
Ver 2.6- 4GB model- No issues
Ver 1.41- 8Gb model- No issues, but sound quality is same as the Ver 1.3

As you can see, there are major changes to the V2. I am not an electronics expert per se, so electronics experts can chime in to explain the differences in more detail. The obvious one is the absence of the 3rd IC on the board in the V2, not to mention the remaining chip being positioned on the opposite side of the board.

To follow up on earlier suggestions in this thread, I have tried every possible combination of usage with the Ver 1.3 and it still clips at med-high volumes. This is true of BOTH Ver 1.3 units I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F2V1 1.jpg (144.1 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg F2V1 2.jpg (150.5 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg F2V1 8gb 1.jpg (144.3 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg F2V1 8gb 2.jpg (144.9 KB, 224 views)

Old 04-01-2009, 02:36 PM

The chip on the left in all the pics is a Sandisk flash memory chip where I assume the music/video files are stored. The ESMT chip appears to be 8MB of DRAM:

http://www.esmt.com.tw/DB/manager/upload/M12L64164A.pdf

The third chip on the V1's appears to be the system chip also by Sandisk. It looks like the V2's must have the DRAM on the system chip. They may have wanted to get away from using another manufacturer's chips, or they may have just integrated DRAM into the system chip to simplify the design. It may be that memory access is faster with integrated DRAM. Certainly this explains the need for different firmware.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:53 PM

Wow, thanks for the pictures.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:16 PM

I've used both my v1 fuze and my friends v2 fuze with the same track and there is no noticable difference.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkj1962 View Post
The chip on the left in all the pics is a Sandisk flash memory chip where I assume the music/video files are stored. The ESMT chip appears to be 8MB of DRAM:

http://www.esmt.com.tw/DB/manager/upload/M12L64164A.pdf
Makes sense. The ClipV2 has 8MB of DRAM built into its CPU, and since the FuzeV2 is probably using the same CPU, theres no need for an external 8MB chip anymore.

Quote:
The third chip on the V1's appears to be the system chip also by Sandisk.
Correct, though its actually made by AMS.

Quote:
. It may be that memory access is faster with integrated DRAM. Certainly this explains the need for different firmware.
Cost savings probably. Plus now they can use the same chip on the Fuze and Clip (clip is too small for external memory). Previously they used DRAM and no-DRAM versions for the Clip and Fuze respectively.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_headshot View Post
I've used both my v1 fuze and my friends v2 fuze with the same track and there is no noticable difference.
I did a direct comparison, using the same set of headphones(JVC Marshmallow), same MP3, repeating different parts of the song on all three players. The V2 had more pronounced Bass, and slightly clearer sound to the singers voice.. without equalization. With the EQ adjusted for more Bass, less Midrange, and a slight Treble boost, the difference was beyond obvious. Again, this is with both players set at the same EQ values. This was the Rev. 2.6 Versus the Rev. 1.3. The Rev. 1.41 has the same sound as the Rev. 1.3, but without the clipping issues. Even with the volume cranked to 75% on the Rev. 1.41, the V2 has more pronounced Bass.

I will say that the Marsmallow headphones, especially for a "Cheap" set, have exeptional Bass Response. I bought them because of this, having read the specs on the package versus othe brands/models in the same pricerange. Without the added response they provide, the difference would not be as obvious. I am not sure what heaphones you are using of course, but you could try hooking the two players up to a normal home stereo system to see if you notice the difference.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:56 AM

nice! thanks for the pics.

I have a v1 8GB fuze, and now I'm at serious unrest, knowing that there is a better sounding fuze 8GB version. should I sell this one and go for the better sounding v2?

Old 04-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xan K View Post
nice! thanks for the pics.

I have a v1 8GB fuze, and now I'm at serious unrest, knowing that there is a better sounding fuze 8GB version. should I sell this one and go for the better sounding v2?
I wouldn't worry about it. Mp3NuTcAsE is the only person that I am aware of that has heard any significant difference between the 2 versions....and that's not a diss on him, either.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:43 AM

No offense taken.

The only reason I push the issue so much is that I have done extensive comparisons between the V1's and V2's that I have. This does not mean the V1 has bad audio quality, just that it needs EQ to match the un-EQ'ed sound of the V2.

My 8gb V1 performs flawlessly, and is the only one I listen to on a regular basis.. my family has the other ones lol. I am quite happy with my V1 8gb. The only thing I do with my V1 is turn down the mid and mid-hig range sliders, and both Bass sliders up a bit.

EDIT: Finding a V2 specifically isn't easy, since the only way to tell is to open the package, turn the unit on, and check the version...

Old 04-04-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp3NuTcAsE View Post
Finding a V2 specifically isn't easy, since the only way to tell is to open the package, turn the unit on, and check the version...
that's right, but give it enough time and and all v1 models in stores will sell out and all you'll get is the v2. that's only if V1 production has been halted altogether.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xan K View Post
that's right, but give it enough time and and all v1 models in stores will sell out and all you'll get is the v2. that's only if V1 production has been halted altogether.
It has been reported on the Sansa Community that all Clips being manufactured now are V2, so I'm sure it's safe to assume all Fuzes are, too. There's no reason to keep making the V1's, and several reasons not to.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Rockbox Developer

(bump) I wonder if you have pictures of the Fuzev2 battery, I'm looking for the mAh capacity of the battery (Fuzev1 was 550mAh) to add battery life estimation in rockbox.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:39 AM

I'm sure this is answered somewheres, but how do I tell if sansa fuze is V1 or V2 when buying?

where on these websites can I tell which version they have? Is it listed on packaging materials?

example 1
example 2

Or do I have to find out after I've purchased it by looking at firmware?

I assume V1 is better for better rockbox support, even though V2 rockbox seems almost mature (stable release).

Old 06-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewabc View Post
Or do I have to find out after I've purchased it by looking at firmware?
YES. But I would assume that any new product is V2.

Steve

Old 06-22-2010, 07:34 AM

Hi,
to know the version of the reader (V1 or V2), look at this link:
http://sansa-fuze-english.jimdo.com/...-installation/

Old 04-26-2011, 05:06 PM

hey even i am using my sansa fuze
i am really happy with the sound, but i really hoped for better sound
for everyday use i use the shenn mx 270

and there is a snap of my fuze
i have no clue if it is one or two
can u tell me if i should rockbox it or not ?

Old 04-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Administrator

There's no way for someone to look at a snapshot of your player and tell what version it is or whether you should Rockbox it.

How to find out if you have v1 or v2 Fuze.

The decision to Rockbox a player or not is something you need to research and decide. The link in my signature has a good deal of information to aid in your research.

I'm not sure but I believe the "shenn mx 270" you mention are the Sennheiser MX 270. If that's true you need to do a serious upgrade before you can hear enough of what the Fuze puts out to make a judgment on the sound quality.

Do yourself a favor in the future and note the date of the posts you use for research and then bump. Just giving the last few posts a quick read I can see most of the information is outdated. The Fuze Rockbox sub-forum is here. You would be best served by doing your research there and posting any future questions in that sub-forum.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:58 AM

@skip 252

any recommendations as to what to take that complements the fuze ?? i mean the headphones
and yea its the Sennheiser MX 270

and thanks for the direct