android
Old 11-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default where to get x5 parts?

My headphone jack is damaged and it looks like it would require some fine soldering. I was hoping I could just buy a new board if they are cheap enough. Dont know the part number but here are some images...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-18-2010, 09:27 AM

Might be impossible, best bet is to buy a used/broken player off ebay and salvage parts.

Edit: Post your interest in the classifieds here, iaudiophile and headfi

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

there are none listed on ebay

I will post up in the classifieds. Probably wont find anything cheap enough though. this is more of a fun/nostalgia project as I have plenty of players.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:06 PM

There not always there but keep checking as they pop up once in a while.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-12-2011, 12:11 AM

It's a common problem. Happened to me too. Because the jack's on the side of the unit, when it's in your pocket the plug comes out at a weird angle and puts pressure on the jack and eventually breaks the solder points.

It is totally fixable. In fact, I just fixed it a few weeks ago (after a year of it sitting in a drawer), and in playing around with it ended up at this site where your post was at the top of the X5 forum. Funny old world.

Absolutely worth it. Best mp3 player I ever had, it's great to have it back. If you do go the DIY route, some advice:

* Don't be scared of it. With where the connectors are, you've got more margin for error than you might think. I'm not very good at this, and I did it. (Took a couple tries though.)

* Be gentle putting the board back in. It's a tight fit putting it back in, and I actually had to redo the solder job (for like the fourth time) because I pulled the side of the jack right back up off the board trying to shove it in there. I actually ended up pulling out the bottom black spacer that's under that board and then it fit in there just fine and I didn't have to push on it.

* Get a set of headphones with a 90 degree plug, or get an adaptor if you're really attached to your headphones. That way you minimize the chances of it happening again because you're not putting pressure on it. Although as sloppy and cheap as the original solder job on the jack was, I'm pretty sure my patch up job's gonna hold a good long time.

It was definitely worth it to me, other than the headphone jack problem (which first started for me about two years after I purchased it, but got worse fast) I love this machine. Best mp3 player I ever had, and it's impossible to find hard drive based mp3 players at all anymore. Heck, if you don't fix it I'd buy it off you for parts

Old 01-17-2011, 05:43 PM

Default Spare parts?

Cool to see a recent reply about the good old X5.
I still love mine too, but today I noticed that the plastic screen in front of the display is cracked.

Does anyone know if such parts are available somewhere? I did an extensive search but can't find anything. I wouldn't expect writing to Cowon would help much.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:10 AM

Hi there. My i7 screen just broke. Any ideas on how to get a spare part (besides de obvious ebay old/used/bloken search :-) ) Thanks a lot.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:41 PM

Default x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
My headphone jack is damaged and it looks like it would require some fine soldering. I was hoping I could just buy a new board if they are cheap enough. Dont know the part number but here are some images...

is it for sale

Old 03-27-2012, 09:41 PM

please let me know if it's for sale

Old 10-11-2012, 03:40 AM

Default Missing adapter

Hi guys,

I still love my good old X5V. Unfortunately, I lost the adapter you need to charge the player and to put new music on it. Does anybody have a spare? I would be very gratefull, because the player itself is in fine condition and it would be a waste to have to trash it just because the adapter-thingy is gone.

If you can help me, please send an email to sytsewilman (at) yahoo (dot) com

Old 10-12-2012, 04:24 AM

You'll be lucky to find one of them, but you can get dedicated cables on amazon that will fit the connection and connect to a PC or power outlet.

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Straig...ords=iaudio+x5