android
Old 03-25-2009, 11:13 AM

Default I dropped my Fuze!

...and now it works better!

I used to be a little annoyed that my Fuze creaked when I pressed on the front, and the right-side seam flexed a little bit. Then, yesterday on my way back in from the break room, I bump in to a couple of coworkers and we start talking. Naturally, I do the polite thing and take out my ear buds and start putting the Fuze away. One of them notices my Fuze and asks, "Which iPod is that, I've never seen that model before?"

I of course replied, "It's not. It's a Fuze."

My co-worker expressed some curiosity so I took the Fuze back out, switched it on, and started showing off menus and features. While I'm doing that the player slips out of my hand and lands with a thud, face down, on the carpeted office floor. GAH!! My poor baby!!

Thanks to BSE there are no scratches on it, and when I picked the Fuze up it was still playing the video clip as if nothing had happened. I quickly checked that sound and click wheel were still working, and that's when I noticed that the creaking was gone.

Apparently the front piece just needed to be shoved into place.

Disclaimer: Throw your Fuze on the floor at your own risk...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've dropped mine a couple times....once from desktop level, and it was ok, landed on it's back. Then there was another day, and I instinctively broke its fall with my foot....but I had no shoes on after cursing repeatedly for a few minutes, I realized my foot was ok....as was the Fuze.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I instinctively broke its fall with my foot....but I had no shoes on
Ouch!

Last week I dropped my Fuze in the parking lot, which was a lot more scary. I now know that they bounce on asphalt. Not a scratch on it though, and the it still works. Flash memory is awesome that way.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Ouch!

Last week I dropped my Fuze in the parking lot, which was a lot more scary. I now know that they bounce on asphalt. Not a scratch on it though, and the it still works. Flash memory is awesome that way.
I haven't taken mine outside the house since I got the 8GB Clip. The Fuze was my original MP3 player, so it's my baby...it's mostly used at the computer now, or or when I'm in the recliner doing my "reference" listening

Old 04-04-2009, 10:33 AM

I also dropped mine a few weeks ago. it feel hard on concrete floor right on its back and made a loud cracking noise. I was scare sh1tless and immediately checked on it and to my surprise the housing was completely intact, as good as it's ever been. but when I turned it on I noticed a long diagonal line on the screen as it was cracked. then I noticed that the streak was on pixels levels. much to my surprise I was noticing every time I turned on the fuze that the streak became shorter and shorter and now there's absolutely no trace of it. my fuze is just looking as good as new.

this incident gave my fuze an aura of "immortality" to it. :P yeah, the fuze is invincible.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:34 PM

There really aren't any "large and heavy" components inside the fuze to make it vulnerable to shock damage. The LCD would be the first to go if anything.

Of course, if it takes a hit bad enough to break the outside casing..

Old 04-04-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
… "Which iPod is that, I've never seen that model before?"
This always gets me mad!

Quote:
…My co-worker expressed some curiosity so I took the Fuze back out, switched it on, and started showing off menus and features. While I'm doing that the player slips out of my hand and lands with a thud, face down, on the carpeted office floor. GAH!! My poor baby!!

Thanks to BSE there are no scratches on it, and when I picked the Fuze up it was still playing the video clip as if nothing had happened. I quickly checked that sound and click wheel were still working, and that's when I noticed that the creaking was gone. …
So, was your co-worker impressed?

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-04-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I haven't taken mine outside the house since I got the 8GB Clip. The Fuze was my original MP3 player, so it's my baby...it's mostly used at the computer now, or or when I'm in the recliner doing my "reference" listening
My Zen Touch is my baby. It hasn't left the house since I got my Clip, and the Clip hasn't gone almost anywhere except the gym since I got my Fuze. I wear the Clip around the house when cleaning too, since it doesn't fall out of pockets like the Fuze does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
So, was your co-worker impressed?
She was until I dropped it...

Old 04-04-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
She was until I dropped it...
Tremendous way to break a demonstration.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
... She was until I dropped it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xan K View Post
Tremendous way to break a demonstration.
At the least she should have been impressed that nothing was wrong after taking a licking it just kept on tickin

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-04-2009, 09:04 PM

Yeah, it was a bit awkward. Not to mention, it's never a good thing to say the words I did, reflexively, when you work in a very corporate environment. They frown on cussing openly at work...

And actually, no one was surprised that it worked. One of them asked if it was flash storage, I said yes, and all three nodded, "oh, it should be fine then. Are the controls okay?"

We sell and support SSDs and other flash memory devices, all my coworkers know you can't kill a flash drive just from dropping it.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:08 PM

Im not overly careful with my fuze, and i've dropped it on several occasions. The only damage so far is scratching on the screen from having it in my pocket with something metal.