android
Old 03-29-2009, 02:22 PM

Help A few Spinn questions

Hi everyone

I currently own a 2GB iRiver U10 (or Clix depending where you are) and am very happy with it but would like something a bit bigger (storage-wise). I had a look at the Clix 2 but decided that if I'm spending money to upgrade I might as well go for the latest model so am now looking at the Spinn. I was wondering if anyone who owns one (or just knows a lot about them ) could answer a couple of questions.

First of all, do they do any kind of docking station for it like they did with the U10/Clix and Clix 2?

Which leads on to my second question... is it possible to do line-in recording?

This is one of the features which drew me to my U10 in the first place. I take part in amateur productions of musicals and do other choir-type stuff and it's very handy to be able to record a rehearsal for practising.

I can see from pictures that it has a built in microphone which is OK up to a point but will never get quite the same quality recording.

Finally, is it as good as it looks and as most of the reviews I've read say? I can't find any shops which sell it in my area so I don't have any way of having a play with one prior to buying it.

Any advice would be gladly welcomed.

Rob

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-29-2009, 02:51 PM

OK, I've been doing some more digging (and the fantastic Compare tool on this website) and come across the Cowon S9. I know this is the Spinn forum so I'm guessing most people will be a little biased towards the Spinn but if anyone has any thoughts on that S9 vs. Spinn I'd love to hear them. My only concern about the S9 is that it seems quite big (one reason I love my U10 is that it's so small and can easily fit in a pocket without being cumbersome).

Rob

Old 03-29-2009, 03:48 PM

i just got an s9 for my dad and it is small enought to be put in your pocket and it is tottaly addicting to play games and things on it not to mention to put uci's and mess with it and i am constantly having to remind myself that it is not mine but now i want one even more then b4 but it is fantasitic but from a little bit of a biased view because i have never used a spinn but you can customize the s9 more then the spinn i know that so i would advise for the s9 over the spinn

Old 03-30-2009, 12:06 AM

Your best bet would probably be S9.

Mainly because the S9 seems to be getting alot of loving from Cowon (e.g. widgets support in firmware) and the general crowd.

Also, the screen of the S9 is ever so slightly better, as it has 16 million colours

TechieMonkey, there is no difference in the level of customisability - as long as you use Flash, but that applies for the S9 too, as they both use Flash.

This comes from an owner of the SPINN, a friend of mine owns an S9.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I own both. I'm disappointed with the SPINN, and delighted with the Cowon S9. Both are about the same size, and easily pocketed. They have the same size screen 3.3" AMOLED, and its beautiful. The SPINN plays most of my media, but it's not fun for some reason. The spindle is clever, but actually slows down access to media. Someone need to seriously rethink the UI. It's a touchscreen, and you can't flick through menus.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:42 AM

OK, I realise now that this topic should probably be in a different area as I'm going to ask about the S9 not the Spinn... but hey, the thread's already here.

With the S9 is it possible to skip tracks / adjust volume without looking or even taking the player out of your pocket?

I'm leaning towards the S9 now but still feeling drawin to the Spinn. I've never actually used a touch screen device of this type so am used to the physical controls of my Clix. I guess it's just technological inertia pulling me towards the Spinn as it has the controls as well as the touch screen.

Thanks for all the advice.

Rob

Old 03-30-2009, 11:37 AM

OK, one final question...

Can you easily skip tracks without having to look at the device? Can you just use the spin wheel to skip tracks or do youo need to use the main screen?

Cheers,

Rob

Old 03-30-2009, 12:56 PM

You can skip tracks with the wheel, righ from your pocket.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:21 PM

It is indeed very easy to adjust volume and skip tracks with the smartly placed tactile controls on the top of the player. There is even a play/pause button in the middle of the volume and track buttons.