android
Old 04-05-2009, 09:55 PM

Default ZVM starts automatically in recovery mode

Hi to all.
When I turn on the power of my ZVM, the zen logo appears on the screen longer than normally and then it goes directly into recovery mode. (DVP-HD0004)

I tried to "clean up" --> it appears "SCAN DISC...". Nothing else happens - even after six hours waiting.
I tried to "format all" -->it appears "HARD DISC PROBLEM".
Same with the option "Reload Firmware".
The option "Reboot" reboots the ZVM, just to come again in the recovery mode.

All worked well until yesterday. Don't know what 'd happened. I'm sure it hasn't fallen down.

Anyone here has an idea how to fix the prob? Thanks for suggestions.

Specifications:
Zen Vision M:60 GB "slim"
Firmware:
v1.20.02_0.0.25

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-07-2009, 07:53 AM

Nobody who has a suggestion?
How can I fix this problem?

In another forum (http://forums.creative.com) I learned that many people had the same problem with different players from Creative.

Many of them seemed to fix the hard disk problem with following solution:

"Just whack it REALLY hard on it's left side on a table or something! (where the reset button is)"<just whack="" really="" hard="" it="" s="" left="" side="" on="" a="" table="" or="" something!="" (where="" the="" reset="" button="" is)="">

They reported it for the zen xtra, the zen touch and the nomad.

Can this be possible?
Any opinions? Should I try this?

Thanx for your advice.</just>

Old 04-08-2009, 09:42 AM

Harddisk Problem

check if the cable is still connecting properly to the harddisk, open it up and see.

Listen to the harddisk when its booting up, if it makes a looping sound(ticking or any of the sorts) it might be damaged.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizio View Post
Harddisk Problem

check if the cable is still connecting properly to the harddisk, open it up and see.
Thank you for your answer. Well, I read in this forum how to open, but it really seems not to be easy at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizio View Post
Harddisk Problem

Listen to the harddisk when its booting up, if it makes a looping sound(ticking or any of the sorts) it might be damaged.
No, there is no looping nor a ticking sound.
When booting the sound is more like starting a machine/an engine. And after two seconds like suddenly power down this machine/engine.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:40 PM

Questionmarc,

It is in fact VERY easy to open. I was quite surprised myself. But if you are under any kind of warranty (from Creative or the retailer you bought it from) your best bet is to return it to them.

The hard drive cable would be a little trickier for someone who is not technically skilled but maybe I could get a photo of the connector to help explain.

The fact that the drive is powering down again (based on your description) suggests to me (not as a ZVM-specific problem but rather as a hard drive problem in general) that the drive might be dead. The 'click of death' is only one symptom a bad drive can display (I have computer drives that will power on and immediately shut off; it means the circuit board is toast usually).

All that being said, your best option at this time is to try to re-seat (disconnect and reconnect) the hard drive cable inside (IF YOU ARE NOT UNDER WARRANTY). Consider it this way...you have nothing to lose. If you don't try it, you cannot proceed with any other troubleshooting...but if you do try it, you can rule it out as a possible problem if it does not fix it.

Good luck
Cheers

Old 04-15-2009, 07:57 AM

Thank you very much for your answer, @kishkizzle and @Raizio.
I think it is very helpful.

No, I ain't got no warranty no more.
And therefore I'll gonna try to fix it soon by opening the ZVM.
I will let you know about the results.

Thank you again.