android
Old 04-07-2009, 03:47 PM

Default Organizing Music with Zune

Hello!

While I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new Zune 120. I'm trying to clean up & organize my music files. I had most of my music archived in flac format but transcoded those into WMA lossless yesterday. Many of them I've found I already have encoded into a lossy format as well (wma or mp3). I Kept the lossy format as well because the previous music software I was using took forever to transcode on the fly when copying ovo to my small music player. So my current folder heirarchy structure goes something like this:

music\artist\album\flac
music\artist\album\mp3

If I don't have both file types, then the music files reside directly in the album folder. This worked great for drag-and-drop but it occurs to me that it will be very messy with the Zune software. I plan to use a higher bitrate lossy format on the Zune 120 (256K or above) and wondered how quickly or slowly the Zune software encodes to lossy on the fly during file transfer? In light of that, what suggestions would you have for folder organization? How does the Zune software cope with having multiple file types of the same song? If I leave both file types, is it easy to see which one I've selected for syncing to the device? What methods do you use/recommend for managing a lossless/ lossy music collection? Any and all thoughts would be most welcome. Thanks so much in advance!

Rae

Last edited by varaonaid; 04-07-2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: typos

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-10-2009, 06:42 PM

Wait, so you have flac, lossless and lossy wma/mp3 all in the same folder?

FYI the Zune software won't recognize the flac files so there won't be any messy organization there. Now if you have both lossless and lossy in the same folder I believe the software will just show 2 files of the same songs (if not there's the "show duplicates" option). But if it does show the 2 lossless/lossy files it won't be obvious which is which unless you right-click a file and select properties. The Zune software only encodes from lossy to lossy (320 to 128 for instance). And 320 is the highest lossy bitrate the device accepts.

I would recommend downloading the Zune software right now and experiment with just 1 album in a folder and add that folder as a monitored folder and play around with it until you get it figured out then add all of your collection to the library.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:45 PM

the flac files definately interfere with the software recognizing files it can actually work with...especially if you're over 10K files, worse the larger your collection gets.

i had to completely remove my flac files and maintain 2 master collections in seperate locations. wish i could help more, but my troubleshooting steps lead me to tags to repair the worst of the sync issues.