android
Old 04-13-2009, 05:36 PM

Help Considering a Fuze...

I'm thinking about buying a Fuze, but there's no way I'll get it if they don't make Rockbox for it. So my question is, will Rocbox ever be finished and made for the Fuze? I checked it out, but it didn't look too good... (they had a few problems, I guess.)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-13-2009, 06:08 PM

There are others here much more knowledgeable, but from my reading on the Rockbox forums, it seems they recently got stable Ogg Vorbis and MP3 playback, as well as other goodies, so things are definitely looking up as I see it.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballincolin View Post
I'm thinking about buying a Fuze, but there's no way I'll get it if they don't make Rockbox for it. So my question is, will Rocbox ever be finished and made for the Fuze? I checked it out, but it didn't look too good... (they had a few problems, I guess.)
If you really want to see Rockbox in action get a refurb e250 ($30) from Tigerdirect while your waiting for the Rockbox port to the Fuze?
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 04-14-2009, 06:30 AM

Why is rockbox so important?

Old 04-14-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansaguy View Post
If you really want to see Rockbox in action get a refurb e250 ($30) from Tigerdirect while your waiting for the Rockbox port to the Fuze?
That's what I have, but the hardware is kind of hard to work with. (the buttons are hard to press sometimes, but I'm satisfied.)

Old 04-14-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowfax View Post
Why is rockbox so important?
Rockbox let's you buy a cheaper mp3 player, and then max out it's hardware. A Fuze has lots of features, but Rockbox gives it so many more. (I like making themes, too.)

Last edited by ballincolin; 05-15-2009 at 03:51 PM.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:36 AM

You never know with Rockbox. They're making good progress, but there's no way to know how long it will take. I'm guessing a few months at bare minimum, but it could be a year.

Other than the UI/themeing, the Fuze FW is at least closing the gap on a lot of key Rockbox features. With the just added folder browsing & ReplayGain, the only other major thing I'd like to see is gapless (which is supposedly being considered for future FW).

Another thing a lot of people forget is that while Rockbox has great features, it often means a severe penalty on battery run-time. Especially on new ports. It usually gets better as a port matures, but it's something to remember if battery run-time is a priority.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:26 PM

Yeah, like, all the Rock Box UI's seem so ugly and make it look so unprofessional...don't see why people like it so much!

Old 04-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
Yeah, like, all the Rock Box UI's seem so ugly and make it look so unprofessional...don't see why people like it so much!
Tongue-in-cheek, or just ignorant? People like it so much for the features. Which is what Rockbox is all about; maximizing the hardware to greatly expand a given player's feature-set. A skinnable GUI is only a shred of the capabilities Rockbox opens up. In addition to gapless playback, robust on-the-fly playlisting is another major feature Rockbox brings to the table (and one I don't expect Sansa to explore anytime soon, if ever).

I personally find some of the Rockbox themes quite attractive...and I'd venture to say the stock Sansa GUI is perhaps the ugliest and most "unprofessional" looking of any player in the Fuze's market segment.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

rockbox actually seems to be going pretty well for the fuze: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=42195

Old 04-22-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Tongue-in-cheek, or just ignorant? People like it so much for the features. Which is what Rockbox is all about; maximizing the hardware to greatly expand a given player's feature-set. A skinnable GUI is only a shred of the capabilities Rockbox opens up. In addition to gapless playback, robust on-the-fly playlisting is another major feature Rockbox brings to the table (and one I don't expect Sansa to explore anytime soon, if ever).

I personally find some of the Rockbox themes quite attractive...and I'd venture to say the stock Sansa GUI is perhaps the ugliest and most "unprofessional" looking of any player in the Fuze's market segment.
Thank you!!! Exactly what I try to explain every day. Rockbox looks good, and things like Pictureflow look great too. Thanks for the replies also.

Tags
buying, fuze, rockbox, rockbox development, sansa fuze