android
Old 04-16-2009, 09:18 AM

Default 16gb micro SDHC

Would like to let forum member know that: 1) The fuze is capable of using a micro SDHC this high in capacity; 2) It's available from Micro Center for approximatly $30. Now I am upto 24gb of memory of course having oodles of space around, even if I am not using it all is my thing.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-16-2009, 09:29 AM

Cool! Do you have a link or is it B&M (brick and mortar) only?

Old 04-16-2009, 12:22 PM

FYI, Newegg has 16GB Class 6 (I'm sure the cheaper one is Class 2) cards for $54 shipped:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211379

Old 04-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Banned

I don't know about these Classes (2, 4, 6)...would a 2 or 4 be sufficient just for FLAC file playback (I don't care about video). Is there really that much of a price difference between them? And are some brands who make these cards better than others? Which one(s) is considered the best if this is the case?

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Class doesn't matter for anything but USB transfers, and even then I doubt it makes much difference.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:32 PM

Actually, in the end I got the cards from B&H photo via Amazon.com. B&H photo is a bricks and motor store in New York City, NY which does a lot of their business via the internet through Amazon.com.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Class doesn't matter for anything but USB transfers, and even then I doubt it makes much difference.
Thanks. I don't mind waiting a bit longer for transfers, if the price difference is substantial. However, on NewEgg, many 16gb class 6 SDHC cards are around the same price, about $30. Do the classes refer to the transfer speed? As in 2= 2mb/s, 4= 4mb/s, and 6= 6mb/s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc View Post
Actually, in the end I got the cards from B&H photo via Amazon.com. B&H photo is a bricks and motor store in New York City, NY which does a lot of their business via the internet through Amazon.com.
I got my Fuze shipped from B&H for $94 I think, cheaper than Amazon's price. I've found that B&H, J&R, NewEgg, and Beach Camera can have as good or better prices than Amazon. I've bought several things from all 4 over the years.

Anyone have a prefered brand? I see A Data, Kingston, Patriot, Pony... Currently I'm looking at this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211245

Are their differences between these cards besides the transfer speed? Like why is this one called "Turbo"? Just marketing hype?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to these cards and since they cost about half of what my Fuze does I'd like to get the right one!

Old 04-19-2009, 07:37 PM

That's an SD card, not a MicroSD card. There's a huge size difference.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Man View Post
Thanks. I don't mind waiting a bit longer for transfers, if the price difference is substantial. However, on NewEgg, many 16gb class 6 SDHC cards are around the same price, about $30. Do the classes refer to the transfer speed? As in 2= 2mb/s, 4= 4mb/s, and 6= 6mb/s?

I got my Fuze shipped from B&H for $94 I think, cheaper than Amazon's price. I've found that B&H, J&R, NewEgg, and Beach Camera can have as good or better prices than Amazon. I've bought several things from all 4 over the years.

Anyone have a prefered brand? I see A Data, Kingston, Patriot, Pony... Currently I'm looking at this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211245

Are their differences between these cards besides the transfer speed? Like why is this one called "Turbo"? Just marketing hype?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to these cards and since they cost about half of what my Fuze does I'd like to get the right one!
That one is not compatible with the Fuze. That is a full size SDHC, the Fuze needs a microsdhc , like one of these

Old 04-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
That's an SD card, not a MicroSD card. There's a huge size difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
That one is not compatible with the Fuze. That is a full size SDHC, the Fuze needs a microsdhc , like one of these
Doy! I should of realized this as soon as I looked at the tiny slot the Fuze has for a card!

Sorry guys, the only memory card I've ever had is the one that came with my camera!

So microsdhc is the only one a Fuze can take (at least without some adapter that turns a bigger card into a micro one) right? These are expensive, at least in the 16 gig size!

Any brand preference?

Thanks again!

Old 04-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Doy! I should of realized this as soon as I looked at the tiny slot the Fuze has for a card!

Sorry guys, the only memory card I've ever had is the one that came with my camera!

So microsdhc is the only one a Fuze can take (at least without some adapter that turns a bigger card into a micro one) right? These are expensive, at least in the 16 gig size!

Any brand preference?

Thanks again!
I have a SanDisk 8GB in my Fuze. Just seemed like a natural fit to me. It is a class 2, but that has never been an issue as far as playback of music.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I have a SanDisk 8GB in my Fuze. Just seemed like a natural fit to me. It is a class 2, but that has never been an issue as far as playback of music.
Yea, I guess SanDisk are of good quality. I was just wondering if there was a prefered brand by users of these cards on here or not.

I would like to get an 8 gig for the price, and that would bring up my Fuze to 16 gigs, but it seems a waste of money when what I really want is a 16 gig to turn my Fuze into 24 gigs which should be enough memory. IOW: I might as well take the money I would spend on an 8 gig and put it towards a 16 gig card. I'll just have to shop around.

Thanks for the info all, and sorry about my card newbieness! lol

Old 04-19-2009, 11:01 PM

I've got a Lexar 4GB stuck in my Fuze right now, but I generally prefer Kingston. Brand loyalty doesn't make much sense in SD cards though, they're all generally the same, quite possibly even from the same manufacturer just branded differently. I'd just stay away from things like PNY though

...so really I'm endorsing brand hatred.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coarse.sand View Post
I've got a Lexar 4GB stuck in my Fuze right now, but I generally prefer Kingston. Brand loyalty doesn't make much sense in SD cards though, they're all generally the same, quite possibly even from the same manufacturer just branded differently. I'd just stay away from things like PNY though

...so really I'm endorsing brand hatred.
There's been reports of video playback issues with videos on Kingston cards, for those who watch videos with their Fuzes. Not an issue for me, but I figured the video watchers would like the heads up.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I don't know about these Classes (2, 4, 6)...would a 2 or 4 be sufficient just for FLAC file playback (I don't care about video). Is there really that much of a price difference between them? And are some brands who make these cards better than others? Which one(s) is considered the best if this is the case?

Thanks!
Even Class 2 should be fine for any audio/video playback duties (although there have been reports of problems with some specific Kensington cards).

The Class is the minimum guaranteed transfer rate in MB/sec (average rate should be much higher). You'll notice a big difference between Class 2 and 6 when loading up the card with a large amount of files. If you're just updating a few files the difference isn't that noticeable.

With the possible exception of the 16GB cards, Class 6 cards are so cheap, there's no reason to get consider the slower classes.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:37 AM

Personally, no brand loyalty at all. In my estiamtion if I a provider can't provide the product I want at the price I want to pay for it I will deal with the comapny who can and does. My new card comes from Kingston.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post
Even Class 2 should be fine for any audio/video playback duties (although there have been reports of problems with some specific Kensington cards).

The Class is the minimum guaranteed transfer rate in MB/sec (average rate should be much higher). You'll notice a big difference between Class 2 and 6 when loading up the card with a large amount of files. If you're just updating a few files the difference isn't that noticeable.

With the possible exception of the 16GB cards, Class 6 cards are so cheap, there's no reason to get consider the slower classes.
Got it. It seems that most 16gb cards are about $50, which is kind of crazy since that's half the cost of the Fuze! I did find this one though, I wonder if it's worth a try:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...2GDJR&v=glance

From the feedback it seems it may only be a Class 2, but if that doesn't really matter then that's a saving of $20 bucks or so compared to other cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc View Post
Personally, no brand loyalty at all. In my estiamtion if I a provider can't provide the product I want at the price I want to pay for it I will deal with the comapny who can and does. My new card comes from Kingston.
It seems from what I've been reading that these cards are pretty generic and come from the same factories and just have a different label slapped on them. This would make sense, this technology is not unique from one to another. A Data, Kingston, Transcend, Patriot, PQI, Sandisk...etc. should all be ok...I guess.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:34 PM

Again, that card is an SD card, not a MicroSD card.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
Again, that card is an SD card, not a MicroSD card.
As DPyro has stated, the card you've linked to is a FULL SIZED SDHC CARD!!!! You need to specifically get a microSD card, and it's more expensive than a full size sd card - period!!!

Here you go, a 16gb microSD card for $51.76 on Amazon.com (DAMN,....that was a quick price drop!!!): http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDSDQ-...0265514&sr=1-2

FWIW, follow the info that people here give you, as their only trying to help you. If you would have searched Amazon.com for the correct type of card, you'd be satisfied by now.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Here you go, a 16gb microSD card for $51.76 on Amazon.com (DAMN,....that was a quick price drop!!!)
I paid $56 for one from that same vendor back in December.