android
  #1  
Old 04-17-2009, 12:33 PM
darcyscarrot darcyscarrot is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 11
Default Problems with "year" tag through explorer on a729

I've just bought an A729 and was trying out a few of the features when I discovered that the player isn't recognising any of the "year" tags on my mp3s and is displaying them as "unknown". This means I can't use the time machine shuffle feature. According to the Sony page, this is a problem when using explorer to transfer files instead of media player. Is there any way of getting round this problem (as I'd rather not be using media player as I find it a pain in the proverbial behind)?

Last edited by darcyscarrot; 04-17-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 04-17-2009, 05:38 PM
CDMP3PlayerFan CDMP3PlayerFan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyscarrot View Post
I've just bought an A729 and was trying out a few of the features when I discovered that the player isn't recognising any of the "year" tags on my mp3s and is displaying them as "unknown". This means I can't use the time machine shuffle feature. According to the Sony page, this is a problem when using explorer to transfer files instead of media player. Is there any way of getting round this problem (as I'd rather not be using media player as I find it a pain in the proverbial behind)?
There is a program you can try: Content Transfer. It is available as a free download from the Sony website. Just look for downloads for your player.

Content Transfer is a small program for Sony players that allows you to add and delete music, pictures, and videos on your player. When you start the program, it creates a small window on your screen (you can have it always appear on top). To put a file on your player, just drag-and-drop the file to the Content Transfer window and it will be transferred to your player (it just copies the file to the player, it doesn't remove it from your computer). I checked it and the year will display on your player if you transfer it using this program.

It also has the ability to automatically transfer the contents of a folder to your player. This allows you to automatically transfer music, videos, and podcasts to your player.

Content Transfer doesn't include any conversion software so the files will need to be in a format your player supports, and it doesn't allow you to create playlists (although it will allow you to see and delete them). Also, when loading files on your player, Content Transfer puts all of the files into a single folder (for example, all music is put into the "MUSIC" folder) so each file must have a unique name. For example, I had MediaMonkey add a random number after the name of each file to ensure that each file has a unique name.

Updated Information Concerning The Above Paragraph: Content Transfer (CT) puts all of the files into the same folder if you send individual files to your player. But if you use CT to send a folder to your player it will send the folder (and the files it contains) to your player.

Overall, I like Content Transfer. It's a simple program that is a vast improvement over Media Manager For Walkman.

I hope that helps.
__________________
In Use
Player: Sony NWZ-E465 (16gb Flash Player)
Music Management Software:
MediaMonkey 4, Content Transfer, and Media Go 2.5,
Headphones: Sony Ear Clips &
Sony MDR-ZX100 Heaphones

Last edited by CDMP3PlayerFan; 04-25-2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: To provide updated information.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 04-18-2009, 08:40 AM
darcyscarrot darcyscarrot is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 11
Default

Thanks for the reply.

Forgot to check for replies last night but I worked out that Media Manger allowed me to do what I wanted. The program is quite slow and does seem to have a couple of glitches but I got there in the end. Seems like a lot just to be able to use what is essentially a gimmicky, albeit interesting and quite fun, feature (the time machine shuffle, that is).

Not sure I like the sound of putting all music into one folder like you're saying Content transfer does. Sounds like a bit of a pain. Still, just about anything would be better than the hassle windows media player was putting me through. (I'm a foobar2000 person but sadly there doesn't seem to be any mtp support for that at the moment so I'm stuck using other methods)
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 04-18-2009, 10:07 AM
CDMP3PlayerFan CDMP3PlayerFan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyscarrot View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Forgot to check for replies last night but I worked out that Media Manger allowed me to do what I wanted. The program is quite slow and does seem to have a couple of glitches but I got there in the end. Seems like a lot just to be able to use what is essentially a gimmicky, albeit interesting and quite fun, feature (the time machine shuffle, that is).

Not sure I like the sound of putting all music into one folder like you're saying Content transfer does. Sounds like a bit of a pain. Still, just about anything would be better than the hassle windows media player was putting me through. (I'm a foobar2000 person but sadly there doesn't seem to be any mtp support for that at the moment so I'm stuck using other methods)
I'm happy to try and help. I have used Media Manager For Windows (MMFW) and I found the program to be so slow that it was almost unusable. For example, when I connected my player it took MMFW several minutes to read all of the files on my player. MMFW was basically stuck until it was finished.

Likewise, it took an extremely long time (more than 1/2 an hour) for it to read my entire music library (consisting of several thousand files). In the end I gave up on having it read my entire library, and in order to speed up the program I had to have it access only a small part of my library at one time. The only thing I use it for now is to put pictures and videos on my player since it will convert them to the right format.

I've tried to use Windows Media Player too. My experience with it is what has driven me to try other music management software such as Drag-and Drop via Windows Explorer, MediaMonkey, and MMFW.

Unlike MMFW, Content Transfer starts and works quickly. One of the things I like best about it is that I don't have to go through a long syncing process just to put a file or a small number of files on my player. Instead, I just start the program, connect my player, drop the file(s) into Content Transfer, and a few seconds later I'm done. Deleting files does take a little longer since it has to list the files first.

As far as Time Machine Shuffle goes, I find it a very entertaining feature. Often, it provides interesting combinations of tracks that it is unlikely that you would put together yourself.
__________________
In Use
Player: Sony NWZ-E465 (16gb Flash Player)
Music Management Software:
MediaMonkey 4, Content Transfer, and Media Go 2.5,
Headphones: Sony Ear Clips &
Sony MDR-ZX100 Heaphones
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 08-21-2009, 05:25 PM
frankzen frankzen is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
Also, when loading files on your player, Content Transfer puts all of the files into a single folder (for example, all music is put into the "MUSIC" folder) so each file must have a unique name. For example, I had MediaMonkey add a random number after the name of each file to ensure that each file has a unique name.

Updated Information Concerning The Above Paragraph: Content Transfer (CT) puts all of the files into the same folder if you send individual files to your player. But if you use CT to send a folder to your player it will send the folder (and the files it contains) to your player.

Getting in on this thread late- hope somebody is still watching

What I'd like to know is this: will my wife's nwz-636f recognize folders like "Music" which have ended up on her machine. Most of her music is under the folder "MUSIC", but there are dozens of "Musics" on her machine. Reading the Sony literature it seems the mp3's are **SUPPOSED** to go into "MUSIC". Does anyone know for sure ??

Thanks
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 09-13-2009, 02:11 AM
CDMP3PlayerFan CDMP3PlayerFan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzen View Post
Getting in on this thread late- hope somebody is still watching

What I'd like to know is this: will my wife's nwz-636f recognize folders like "Music" which have ended up on her machine. Most of her music is under the folder "MUSIC", but there are dozens of "Musics" on her machine. Reading the Sony literature it seems the mp3's are **SUPPOSED** to go into "MUSIC". Does anyone know for sure ??

Thanks
I did a test with my player (see below for type). I created a new folder in the "Storage Media" folder (but not under "MUSIC") called "Test" and put a song into it. I was able to access the song in the "Test" folder when searching for it by title, artist, album, genre, and release year.

However, the song did not show up when I searched for it by folder. Only folders and songs located in the "MUSIC" folder show up when searching for music by folders. Based on this, it looks like on Sony players music should be put into the "MUSIC" folder.

Additional Related Information: I use both MediaMonkey and Content Transfer to put music on my player. Both programs put all music and music folders in the "MUSIC" folder, and MediaMonkey creates one additional folder called "Playlists" which contains the playlists loaded on my player.

I hope that helps.
__________________
In Use
Player: Sony NWZ-E465 (16gb Flash Player)
Music Management Software:
MediaMonkey 4, Content Transfer, and Media Go 2.5,
Headphones: Sony Ear Clips &
Sony MDR-ZX100 Heaphones
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 09-13-2009, 01:07 PM
frankzen frankzen is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11
Cool

Well I finally convinced her to use Content Transfer...and it **seems** to have solved the problem. She still has a bunch of "Music" folders on her drive...but they don't seem to bother it. She wont let me delete them using Explorer...she's afraid it will upset the applecart

Thanks for the response!!
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 09-21-2009, 06:35 PM
MrMojo MrMojo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 27
Default

Being a Playlist junkie, you can transfer the iTunes playlists using Content Transfer onto the media player.

All the songs will show up in their own artist folders on the player but you wouldn't care if you use playlists! I rarely ever use folders when listening to music so I don't care!

Too bad a 3rd party media software is needed to use the Sony player when it should've come with one! This is one of Sony's biggest fault with their music players and cell phones!
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.