android
Old 04-23-2009, 09:15 AM

Default NZW-A826 - impressive!

Hi

I was recently in the market for a new MP3 player and came across the Walkman range and despite having a bad experience several years ago with NetMD and the hideous restrictions, decided to give the new models a go after reading some excellent reviews.

I picked up the A826 in a bundle with some Bluetooth headphones from Currys for a few pennies under 60, and I have to say I'm really impressed with this great player - the sound quality is excellent to my ears - using Sennheiser PX300 headphones and as far as I can tell goes very loud indeed (when I switched it for the first time on the volume was set to maximum - oops!).

I wanted something that played AAC because I have a large AAC library both from my rips and from iTunes plus, and have no problems at all - I'm using that Content Transfer program to drag and drop files from iTunes which seems to be working fine.

The user interface is extremely good, very easy to use and very fast, and one thing I've always liked about Sony products - at least you don't get badly translated English on the UI or in the paperwork!

The Bluetooth seems a bit of a gimmick to me because it means something extra to charge but was fun to play with. I didn't like the behind the ear ones the player came with but paired the player with a Sony Ericsson DS-200 A2DP adaptor which basically has a 3.5mm output on it so you can plug in your favourite headphones and that worked absolutely fine and sounded almost as good (with the same headphones).

I can imagine it being fun, perhaps in the future when maybe all speakers are Bluetooth enabled to be able to connect to any set of speakers and have your music playing. But at the moment not many are!

I'm looking forward to running this player in over the coming weeks etc. but first impressions are very positive and I was pleased at what I thought was a pretty good price too.

I suppose the only downside was that you only get 4Gb, but I was on a budget and the 8Gb version was 100 which was a bit too much - and odd considering all that is increased is the storage capacity. But hey.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]