android
Old 04-25-2009, 09:18 PM

Default Dead/stuck (sub)pixels on my new Sony NWZ-S739F

Last week I ordered the Sony NWZ-S739F at Amazon.co.uk and it's really fantastic, especially the sound quality. But when I got it and turned it on, I noticed little bright dots on the screen at the upper left corner. First I thought it's dust or something, but it seems to be dead/stuck (sub)pixels!

Here is a pic of the screen:

It's the first time that I experience this with a LCD display and I really didn't expect this. Some people say stuck pixels could come alive again, but as there are so many I doubt I will get a 100% working screen some day. Also, I'm not sure if all of them are stuck and some are maybe dead.

What should I do, try to return it or contact Sony to get it repaired?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-26-2009, 09:46 AM

contact sony and get it repaired....

Old 04-27-2009, 06:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Try to use a free program to download this video off of YouTube, then let us know if it works:

PS: Do not stare at the video, as it can cause a seizure if you have epilepsy.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Try to use a free program to download this video off of YouTube, then let us know if it works
I know it has nothing to do with a sony/MP3 player, yet we have a stuck pixel on an LG t.v and I ran that test today (from youtube full screen on wii lol) and it did not work (after numerous runs)

Im interested to see if it works on this . Hopefully for the OP's sake it does
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 04-27-2009, 08:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Some have success, others none. I'm going to try this on my sis-in-laws Zune 120 and see if it solves the prob she has (a white dead pixel).

Old 04-27-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Try to use a free program to download this video off of YouTube, then let us know if it works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liMySLZkF5o

PS: Do not stare at the video, as it can cause a seizure if you have epilepsy.
I already tried that yesterday using this video (.mp4), but it didn't work. I'm really wondering if I'm the only one with this player as I don't see any posts about it on the web. Just bad luck?

Does anyone know what Sony's or Amazon's policy is with pixel issues?

Old 04-27-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gadget View Post
I already tried that yesterday using this video (.mp4), but it didn't work. I'm really wondering if I'm the only one with this player as I don't see any posts about it on the web. Just bad luck?
Apart from what you and darkside have said, I haven't stumbled upon anyone having this issue with a device/MP3 etc in my googling

Quote:
Does anyone know what Sony's or Amazon's policy is with pixel issues?
I think that several "dead" pixels can be deduced as "ok." (I know that's how it works with monitors and TV's) I wouldn't get your hopes up on getting another one, yet with that many dead pixels? Who knows?
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 04-27-2009, 06:41 PM

I contacted Sony and first I had to reset the player, but that didn't help which is not really a surprise. Anyway, Sony told me to try exchange it for a new one and if that doesn't work out Sony will repair it.

I'm going to send an e-mail to Amazon and I'm curious what they will say and I hope I don't have to pay for the shipping costs as it's not my mistake it's faulty.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I contacted Sony and first I had to reset the player, but that didn't help which is not really a surprise. Anyway, Sony told me to try exchange it for a new one and if that doesn't work out Sony will repair it.

I'm going to send an e-mail to Amazon and I'm curious what they will say and I hope I don't have to pay for the shipping costs as it's not my mistake it's faulty.
Oh that's good, at least Sony understands and will repair it/exchange for you if Amazon won't!
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 04-27-2009, 07:59 PM

Yeah, but it's not really clear if it's a free repair as Sony only said that I can send it in for repair. Anyway, I'll figure that out later. I just send an e-mail to Amazon and I hope I get a positive reply soon.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:47 AM

Wow, I already got a reply and look what a great service they have:
Quote:
Dear Customer

Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk.

Firstly, please allow me to apologise for the issues you have experienced with this item.

I have now placed a new order for the same item to be sent to the same delivery address:
(...)

We will post this replacement order to you as soon as possible at no additional charge.
I really didn't expect that. Let's hope the new one is working ok!

Old 04-28-2009, 10:14 AM

Now that is good customer service

Old 05-05-2009, 10:55 AM

Ok, the new one arrived today and... there's 1 defective pixel this time. It's hard to see, so I think I'll keep this one. It seems like they had a batch of players up for sale with bad screens or is Sony just that bad?!

Old 05-05-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Ok, the new one arrived today and... there's 1 defective pixel this time. It's hard to see, so I think I'll keep this one. It seems like they had a batch of players up for sale with bad screens or is Sony just that bad?!
Up to a certain number of dead/broken pixels are acceptable according to most manufacturers, yet it can be annoying when you keep looking at it though!! Just try not to look at it
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 05-06-2009, 05:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have a Zune 120 that has a dead pixel on the left/middle side of the screen, and I've always focused on it. I agree, it can be annoying. And, the stinkin' video didn't help get rid of it either!!! But, it's just 1 pixel, so it's not a deal breaker.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
I have a Zune 120 that has a dead pixel on the left/middle side of the screen, and I've always focused on it. I agree, it can be annoying. And, the stinkin' video didn't help get rid of it either!!! But, it's just 1 pixel, so it's not a deal breaker.
Im thinking the video doesn't work so well
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 05-06-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but that's the thing; if you know it's there you keep looking at it. But if it's really a "Dead" pixel (black) it cannot be fixed. Only Lazy/Stuck pixels (coloured) can be fixed. With this new replaced player it's 1 stuck pixel, so I hope it will come alive one day.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The pixel is white, not black, so it tends to stand out quite a bit when watching a move or video.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:17 PM

Oh, ok... then it's not a Dead pixel luckily. Are you sure it's white? Mine also looked white, but after making a picture (the one I posted) it was clear they were not white. The camera wins from the human eye!