android
Old 04-27-2009, 01:09 AM

Default My Zen loses a lot of battery life while turned off

I'm new here, and I searched but couldn't find much on the subject except that there is a standby mode, which was added in a certain firmware update. I own a Creative Zen Vision M 30 GB, and I have had it for almost two years. I have noticed that after I turn it off, then go to my classes (I'm in college), and turn it back on at the end of the school day, there is a significant amount of battery loss, which I assume to be resulting from the standby mode I have read about. I believe it has done this since the very day I received it, so it's not just a recent issue.

It hasn't been a problem until recently because I now have much longer classes, and when I turn my Zen back on while leaving school, the battery is almost completely drained despite having been turned off with the battery bar looking close to full at the beginning of the day. Does anybody know what could be causing this? If it is in fact the standby mode, does anyone know a way to turn it off or decrease it's energy usage? Sorry if this question has been asked and answered before, but I couldn't seem to see a thread regarding this issue. Oh, and if you need to know the version of firmware on my player, it is 1.62.02...when I check the settings on the computer it says 1.62.02_0.00.23

I'd appreciate someone who knows anything at all to help me out; I absolutely love music and can't stand not being able to listen to it, especially after tiring or stressful days at school.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-27-2009, 01:43 AM

Well, music is indeed necessary. I couldn't live without it, that's for sure.
Your firmware is the latest one so that's allright. My guess is that your ZVMs battery has been "mistreated". Batteries have a memory, sortof. Simply put: if you always charge it when it's half full the battery gets used to always being charged by then and therefore "thinks" that it won't have to fill up on power. You need to optimize the battery.
I recommend that you completely drain the battery of power: only charge it when it really needs it, which is when you use it and it stops playing. Easiest way to do this is to push play and leave it playing while you do something else. Whe the battery is out of power, the screen shows a red-ish little triangle with a ! in it and "battery low" below. Then you should turn it off, wait a few hours and try to turn it on again. If it turns on it means that it had power left and then you should use it til it stops playing again (as before, press play and walk away...). Repeat this til the battery really is out of power and won't turn on. Not until then should you charge it and let it be fully charged. Takes about 4 hours if you use a wall charger, about 6 or so if you charge via usb.

When doing this you kindof spank the battery around, forcing it to hold as much power as possible. It might take a while, a week or so if you do this every day, but it should work if you do as I wrote above.
Let me know how it worked out!

Old 04-27-2009, 03:00 AM

Well, I'm not sure the issue is...how charged the battery is. Whenever I charge my player, it is almost always completely drained beforehand. It takes around the amount of time you mentioned to completely charge, too. It just seems to drain a lot while off and in standby mode for some reason, which is what made me think the standby mode itself is what is causing this. The battery seems to behave perfectly while I'm listening to music, though. I think something is happening to it while it is off. I listen to music on the bus going to college, and when I turn my player off, it has nearly a full bar. Around six hours later, when I turn it back on, the indicator is in the red and says the battery is too low then it turns off. Maybe the standby mode is lasting longer than it should or is messed up? Or maybe I need to re-download the firmware or format or something? I think I would have to end up erasing everything if I did that, however.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO6 View Post
I'm new here, and I searched but couldn't find much on the subject except that there is a standby mode, which was added in a certain firmware update. I own a Creative Zen Vision M 30 GB, and I have had it for almost two years. I have noticed that after I turn it off, then go to my classes (I'm in college), and turn it back on at the end of the school day, there is a significant amount of battery loss, which I assume to be resulting from the standby mode I have read about. I believe it has done this since the very day I received it, so it's not just a recent issue.

It hasn't been a problem until recently because I now have much longer classes, and when I turn my Zen back on while leaving school, the battery is almost completely drained despite having been turned off with the battery bar looking close to full at the beginning of the day. Does anybody know what could be causing this? If it is in fact the standby mode, does anyone know a way to turn it off or decrease it's energy usage? Sorry if this question has been asked and answered before, but I couldn't seem to see a thread regarding this issue. Oh, and if you need to know the version of firmware on my player, it is 1.62.02...when I check the settings on the computer it says 1.62.02_0.00.23

I'd appreciate someone who knows anything at all to help me out; I absolutely love music and can't stand not being able to listen to it, especially after tiring or stressful days at school.
Are you removing the headphones when you turn it off? I can't say I've had this problem with the ZVM. I have seen some posts of this happening with the Zen when you leave the headphones connected.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAngel View Post
Well, music is indeed necessary. I couldn't live without it, that's for sure.
Your firmware is the latest one so that's allright. My guess is that your ZVMs battery has been "mistreated". Batteries have a memory, sortof. Simply put: if you always charge it when it's half full the battery gets used to always being charged by then and therefore "thinks" that it won't have to fill up on power. You need to optimize the battery.
I recommend that you completely drain the battery of power: only charge it when it really needs it, which is when you use it and it stops playing. Easiest way to do this is to push play and leave it playing while you do something else. Whe the battery is out of power, the screen shows a red-ish little triangle with a ! in it and "battery low" below. Then you should turn it off, wait a few hours and try to turn it on again. If it turns on it means that it had power left and then you should use it til it stops playing again (as before, press play and walk away...). Repeat this til the battery really is out of power and won't turn on. Not until then should you charge it and let it be fully charged. Takes about 4 hours if you use a wall charger, about 6 or so if you charge via usb.

When doing this you kindof spank the battery around, forcing it to hold as much power as possible. It might take a while, a week or so if you do this every day, but it should work if you do as I wrote above.
Let me know how it worked out!
You may want to read this http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Old 04-27-2009, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachop94 View Post
Hmm...I'll see if removing the headphones before turning it off does anything. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll try draining it completely and making sure it's totally drained before fully charging it. From that link it sounded like you NEED to do this once in a while. If neither of those work...maybe I just need to get a new battery? That would suck. I don't think batteries for discontinued mp3 players are easy/cheap to come by (I'm also completely broke and paying for college with loans/grants). I'm not sure if it's just wear and tear on the battery, though, because it seemed to do this from day one, but I can't think of anything else that would be the issue. I just don't understand why it seems to lose its battery charge much slower while actually playing as opposed to when it is "off" (in standby mode).

Last edited by DO6; 04-27-2009 at 03:40 AM.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Don't do the total drain thing Not good for the battery.The battery for the player can be purchased all day on ebay for under $20 USD. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190297554047 If you are leaving the headphones plugged in then that is most likely the problem. It's not something I do.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:56 AM

Headphones remaining plugged in really can cause a problem? I was totally unaware of this. Any idea why leaving them plugged in when turning the player off might cause issues? It's strange that I've never heard of or been told about this before. This IS my first mp3 player, though.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

they also draw power from the player. take them out when you turn off the player & see how the battery is later.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:07 AM

So they draw power from it while it's in standby mode? Anyway, thanks for the tip.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:44 PM

Well, that didn't work. I honestly have no idea what the issue might be. I don't know if it's the battery, the player itself, or some sort of function like standby.