android
Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 PM

Default Opinion on User Review

Hey guys, for those of you who own a P3, I would like to know your opinion in regards to this user review from Futureshop (particularly regarding what he has to say about video) in :

Definitely not worth it. If All you want is a player that plays music well and nothing else then this player is the one for you. If you are looking for an intuitive interface or something that plays lots of formats of video well, or even something with other useful features, this player is definitely NOT for you. To say the interface was poorly designed is an understatement. To start an album you have to navigate to it, go into it and press on he first song to start the album as a whole. If you have a lot of music and want to find an album you have to scroll through all your music to get to it and with the constant swiping up and down you'll do the screen will get quite messy not to mention the irritation of it all. The scroll bar is a joke, quite inaccurate and hard to use. You find yourself going past the album you wanted quite often and there is no way to actually SEARCH for a sing album or Artist.As for video, this specifications say this player will do MPEG AVI H264 WMV and even DIVX and XVID with a firmware update. What they don't tell you is this is done via TRANSCODING. It actually only plays one format, and I have never even heard of it. If you want to say play Quantum of Solace that you ahem backed up to a file be prepared to wait 40 or so minutes. Don't say it supports a format if it cant play it natively, Even then if you use the default setting for transcoding and expect to see decent quality you will be sadly disappointed horrible and choppy not to mention dark. Overall I think they should not have even mentioned it plays video it would have done less damage to Samsung's reputation. As for the other useful features, well let's just say they are useless at best irritating at best. The subway map is a joke for Canada they only have Toronto and Vancouver and even those are out of date and in the states they have New York and Chicago. Anything you want to add to the calendar has to be added via Outlook, I could go on but I wont.The one thing this player does well is play music, the DNSe feature is great and music sounds clear and rich, provided you use GOOD headphones. The cheap ones they ship with the player sound thin and tinny. The bluetooth is of limited use, yes you can dial numbers in your contact book on the player and it will dial your phone for you but using the player as a speaker phone is not recommended it would have to be the WORST bluetooth headset I have ever used. File transfer is clunky and takes a while, Say you want to transfer a file between your mobile phone and the player be prepared to try a few times to set it up and be prepared for each trransfer to take longer than it should.Oh and I found it verrrrrrry easy to drop this player.All in all this player has one thing going for it, and that's sound. EVERY other aspect of the player doesn't live up to the hype...or even basic expectations. Save you money and get something else.

Is he right in regards to the P3 transcoding video into one format?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-28-2009, 04:33 AM

Well, i've read quitte a few divX / Xvid, and no problems. It don't do transcodding for these, i would have seen, given the p3's prosessing power. Reading divX and Xvid works a charm. (Well, as long it's properlly encoded, and it's no divX 3.11 with wma sound.)

As for H264, no idea there. But 40 min for the P3 to trascode a 2 hours movie ? Sounds weird, given the time my way-more-powerfull-than-P3-Pc take to transode dvd's.

I woudn't pay much attention to that, it looks more like some flamming / ranting than an actual review. Don't do reviews unless you can be partial people ! Such a flame because he can't can't read his downloaded bue-ray rip..

Last edited by EowynCarter; 04-28-2009 at 05:02 AM.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:36 AM

well i have many moves encoded in AVI(xvid) that work on all my other cheap chinese players, i dropped these on the P3 through drag n drop (UMS mode no through emodio software) and it played fine, no problems, also Iplayer proteted WMV works like a charm

so the reviewer is misinformed somewhere

cheers

Old 04-28-2009, 06:51 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Well, i've read quitte a few divX / Xvid, and no problems. It don't do transcodding for these, i would have seen, given the p3's prosessing power. Reading divX and Xvid works a charm. (Well, as long it's properlly encoded, and it's no divX 3.11 with wma sound.)

As for H264, no idea there. But 40 min for the P3 to trascode a 2 hours movie ? Sounds weird, given the time my way-more-powerfull-than-P3-Pc take to transode dvd's.

I woudn't pay much attention to that, it looks more like some flamming / ranting than an actual review. Don't do reviews unless you can be partial people ! Such a flame because he can't can't read his downloaded bue-ray rip..
Obviously he meant transcoding in the computer before transfer. No player does iton the go nor would it ever do so since that would require the same format support and more processing powert than just playing it in the first place

Old 04-28-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Obviously he meant transcoding in the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]computer[/COLOR][/COLOR]
before transfer. No player does iton the go nor would it ever do so since that would require the same format support and more processing powert than just playing it in the first place
Oh, good point. Maybe Emodio does transocing, even when it's not usefull. Hence the misleading.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:50 AM
Banned

It's a bad review, but I saw one review where the guy said the sound quality of i-pods was superior. So, just don't believe it. I can just drag and drop H264 to my P3.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the replies; I myself was a little suspicious of his issues, but I always like to know what others think.

CF

Old 04-29-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Oh, good point. Maybe Emodio does transocing, even when it's not useful. Hence the misleading.
Yes, it does. Transcoding is not necessary. Transfer via simple drag 'n' drop in Windows.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:40 AM

It supports hardware acceleration in chip for those formats, so definitely no transcoding, check out http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=40715

Old 04-30-2009, 05:19 PM

Isn't it obvious that this is one of those "BS" reviews trolls make sometimes? Whoever wrote this is either lying, or one of those "Fan-boys" who likes only likes/loves only one brand. Clearly this person doesn't want us to buy the P3, so he/she wrote bad things about it that aren't (for the most part) true. Don't believe this review, as Dreamnine states.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:17 PM

Angry Hatred?

Quote:
Originally Posted by circus_freak View Post
Hey guys, for those of you who own a P3, I would like to know your opinion in regards to this user review from Futureshop (particularly regarding what he has to say about video) in :

Definitely not worth it. If All you want is a player that plays music well and nothing else then this player is the one for you. If you are looking for an intuitive interface or something that plays lots of formats of video well, or even something with other useful features, this player is definitely NOT for you. To say the interface was poorly designed is an understatement. To start an album you have to navigate to it, go into it and press on he first song to start the album as a whole. If you have a lot of music and want to find an album you have to scroll through all your music to get to it and with the constant swiping up and down you'll do the screen will get quite messy not to mention the irritation of it all. The scroll bar is a joke, quite inaccurate and hard to use. You find yourself going past the album you wanted quite often and there is no way to actually SEARCH for a sing album or Artist.As for video, this specifications say this player will do MPEG AVI H264 WMV and even DIVX and XVID with a firmware update. What they don't tell you is this is done via TRANSCODING. It actually only plays one format, and I have never even heard of it. If you want to say play Quantum of Solace that you ahem backed up to a file be prepared to wait 40 or so minutes. Don't say it supports a format if it cant play it natively, Even then if you use the default setting for transcoding and expect to see decent quality you will be sadly disappointed horrible and choppy not to mention dark. Overall I think they should not have even mentioned it plays video it would have done less damage to Samsung's reputation. As for the other useful features, well let's just say they are useless at best irritating at best. The subway map is a joke for Canada they only have Toronto and Vancouver and even those are out of date and in the states they have New York and Chicago. Anything you want to add to the calendar has to be added via Outlook, I could go on but I wont.The one thing this player does well is play music, the DNSe feature is great and music sounds clear and rich, provided you use GOOD headphones. The cheap ones they ship with the player sound thin and tinny. The bluetooth is of limited use, yes you can dial numbers in your contact book on the player and it will dial your phone for you but using the player as a speaker phone is not recommended it would have to be the WORST bluetooth headset I have ever used. File transfer is clunky and takes a while, Say you want to transfer a file between your mobile phone and the player be prepared to try a few times to set it up and be prepared for each trransfer to take longer than it should.Oh and I found it verrrrrrry easy to drop this player.All in all this player has one thing going for it, and that's sound. EVERY other aspect of the player doesn't live up to the hype...or even basic expectations. Save you money and get something else.

Is he right in regards to the P3 transcoding video into one format?
this review is all about hatred. The Bluetooth works really well and clear. The person who wrote this review exaggerated every tiniest flaw of the p3. Wait 40 minutes? that guy/gurl is a big liar you'll have to wait 10-15 minutes. the video quality on mine is great the color is amazing compare to my itouch that the colors are light blur. And look at the line at the end "Save you money and get something else.[/I]" WTF this is the cheapest touch screen player ever

Old 05-01-2009, 04:03 AM

That guy also has no patience to speak of.
Out of the box mine would not play a selection of DivX/XviD AVI's from my media collection. Upgraded the firmware from 1.15(EU) to 2.10(EU) in about five minutes and that fixed that.
What does he mean about this one particular format? He clearly does not know what he's talking about.

Everything plays and PQ is great

Last edited by Scragbat; 05-01-2009 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Typo

Old 05-01-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy23j View Post
this review is all about hatred. The Bluetooth works really well and clear. The person who wrote this review exaggerated every tiniest flaw of the p3. Wait 40 minutes? that guy/gurl is a big liar you'll have to wait 10-15 minutes. the video quality on mine is great the color is amazing compare to my itouch that the colors are light blur. And look at the line at the end "Save you money and get something else.[/I]" WTF this is the cheapest touch screen player ever
Yeah, its a shame that people are dissing it just for the heck of it; I just looked at it again today and the rating for the product is now 2.31/5.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0121013&catid=

Old 05-01-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah, its a shame that people are dissing it just for the heck of it; I just looked at it again today and the rating for the product is now 2.31/5.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0121013&catid=
i only go to certified reviewer like cnet.com and their rating is 4/5 and cnet.com is one of the best reviewing sites in the whole world because almost every country got it.
http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/...?tag=mncol;lst

Old 05-01-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy23j View Post
i only go to certified reviewer like cnet.com and their rating is 4/5 and cnet.com is one of the best reviewing sites in the whole world because almost every country got it.
http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/...?tag=mncol;lst
Thanks; I'm well aware of that (otherwise, I would not be coming to ABI ), I'm revealing that fact.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:07 PM

Talking

Quote:
Thanks; I'm well aware of that (otherwise, I would not be coming to ABI ), I'm revealing that fact.
you welcome man

Old 05-12-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Anything you want to add to the calendar has to be added via Outlook,
Wait, I didn't know you can add stuff to the calender through Outlook. How do you do this?