android
Old 04-28-2009, 09:50 AM

Default Are you happy with your P3?

I have really been leaning towards the P3 over the S9.

I'm curious about a couple things if you don't mind answering.

First, like the title says, are you happy with your P3?

Also how is the video quality? I'm really curious how it compares to the S9 and even the touch. Some screens I have seen made the screen look a little dark so I'm not sure what thats all about.

Are you happy with the sound quality?

Will it work with subscription deals like rhapsody or others?

How's the radio reception?

Are there apps to download? Things like streaming music, games, etc...?

What are some things you don't like about it?

Thanks for any replies....

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Banned

Yeah I'm happy. Video quality is great- I can just drag and drop H264 on to it. Sound quality is phenomenal; to my ears better than any player I've ever heard including the D2, Zen and iRiver P7.

The screen is really great. Only when you have it right next to an S9 do you notice that the Cowon's is even bettter- AMOLED screen. They both make the touch look washed out.

The FM reception where I live is really good, and it's easy to record stuff.

It should work with subscription deals- I don't know for sure, I don't use them.

The only thing I dislike is the bundled software, Emodio. But I choose not to use it.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Banned

I can't and won't say it's better than the S9. The differences are quite small and it's a major toss-up between them. Bluetooth is implemented well on the P3, and having listened to them both I preferred the Samsung's sound. You do get an (even) better screen with the Cowon and better battery life, though.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:36 AM

I'm in the same situation. I have it down to the S9 and the P3. I'm leaning toward the P3 as well because of the H.264 support and the bluetooth/phone functionality. It's hard waiting for the P3 when the S9 is available on Newegg. Hopefully it releases to retail next week.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:37 AM

I have really been leaning towards the P3 over the S9.

I'm curious about a couple things if you don't mind answering.

First, like the title says, are you happy with your P3?
-- Yes

Also how is the video quality? I'm really curious how it compares to the S9 and even the touch. Some screens I have seen made the screen look a little dark so I'm not sure what thats all about.
-- Nice Enough. No reencoding neeeded for DivX and Xvid avec update. S9 probably do that too.

Are you happy with the sound quality?
-- Overmatch my old Archos

Will it work with subscription deals like rhapsody or others?
-- Not sure about drm there...

How's the radio reception?
-- Fine. The only place i've seen it fail are place know to be total backout

Are there apps to download? Things like streaming music, games, etc...?
-- Not much really. A few flash games.

What are some things you don't like about it?
-- The imposibility to play music while pluged on the computer.

S9 have a better screen, tv out, accelerometer.
P3 have internal speakers, better bluetouth stuff, more than one playlist on the go.
It's up to what of these fonction are important to you i would say.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:57 AM

The Killer for me is the bad FM tunner in the S9. When I get tired of my music I like to tune into the radio but the S9's tuner is not good from what I hear.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Banned

The tuner in my D2 was bad - only a handful of stations and none in stereo.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:12 AM

Um I wanted to ask something, can the p3 play rmvb videos?

Old 04-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pod-098 View Post
Um I wanted to ask something, can the p3 play rmvb videos?
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=40781

Old 04-28-2009, 11:32 AM

Another question...can you change wallpapers and make that lightbulb and butterfly go away?

Old 04-28-2009, 11:41 AM

Same boat here - The S9 or the P3. I have spent the last week reading every review, watching every video, reading every opinion and have finally settled on the P3.

What clinched it?

Better build quality for one. I am put off by the S9's plastic. The P3's metal body and toughened glass screen (no scratches!), give it a solid and high quality look.

The screen is more than adequate when moving from my 2.5" Creative Zen. Slightly smaller than the S9 (although same resolution 480x272). Of course it can't compete with OLED in terms of contrast, colours and response, but it's close enough for me at this time.

Price. Here in the UK the S9 16gb is Ģ199 (can't find it much cheaper). P3 16gb on the other hand is Ģ140 online!

Mine arrives tomorrow. I doubt I'll sleep that well tonight!

Old 04-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahaha View Post
Another question...can you change wallpapers and make that lightbulb and butterfly go away?
Yeah - the screens are customizable.. Probably the only widget I like is that lightbulb

Old 04-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragbat View Post
Same boat here - The S9 or the P3. I have spent the last week reading every review, watching every video, reading every opinion and have finally settled on the P3.

What clinched it?

Better build quality for one. I am put off by the S9's plastic. The P3's metal body and toughened glass screen (no scratches!), give it a solid and high quality look.

The screen is more than adequate when moving from my 2.5" Creative Zen. Slightly smaller than the S9 (although same resolution 480x272). Of course it can't compete with OLED in terms of contrast, colours and response, but it's close enough for me at this time.

Price. Here in the UK the S9 16gb is Ģ199 (can't find it much cheaper). P3 16gb on the other hand is Ģ140 online!

Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to abi.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:26 PM

Overall the S9 and P3 are very similar, what clinched it for me was that in the UK the P3 is significantly cheaper.

Video looks fantastic, but all reports indicate the S9s screen beats the P3, but that doesn't mean the P3 looks bad. Also, the P3 has h.264 support, which is darn handy considering so many downloadable videos are optimised for iPods (that use h.264)

Sound quality is excellent, at least as good, if not better than my old D2. Probably the Cowon sound is a bit colder and analytical, the Samsung sound a bit warmer but slightly less detailed. the DSNe enhancements are pretty good when used in moderation.

You can free move icons around and get rid of any widgets you don't like, so you can make it look very 'businesslike' or 'free and messy.'

FM tuner is pretty good, and the auto scan is actually half way okay. Amazing!

Overall apart from battery life I can't see any major advantage to the S9.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:06 PM

well i have had both players now, the S9 i had for 2 days and sent it back

here in the UK it was over 200 pounds, with the EXTRA cables you need to buy to make the tv out work and the audio in recording work, and when i got it i was disgusted!!!!

it felt like a cheap McDonald s toy, there is no weight or solidity about it at all, i just could not get my head round spending all that money on what felt like a cheap toy, now this is my opinion but it is also fact, in contrast the P3 was 140 pounds and feels like it, its got a nice construction and a nice weight to it, the P3 wins for me on that score, also the screen on the S9 to me felt cheap and flimsy, i know it uses super strong so called gorilla glass but they seems to use the thinnest version of this and its just felt awful

basically i sent it all back within 2-3 days, just couldnt stomoch it, as for its functionality, well its good, no doubt, it isnt the best ever sound on a media player though as many claim.. well it did not blow me away and sound, when at these players leve, is a very personal thing indeed, i tweaked for a bit but its really a pain as there is just too much to tweak, you need really good phones to reap the small increments this player allows, but to me it was nothing special, my meizu M6 sounds as good and has been my benchmark for sound quality for a while now and nothing has beaten it yet

the S9 is actually quite big, but it has the bigger screen that the P3, its not all as good as the glossy adverts that the Koreans are so good at doing, it does not shine in real life. The player has good functionality with features accessible and functionality a plenty, flash support is OK too for those extra games, movies look good but the OMLED screen, while good should not be a reason to get this player, just to put in persepctive, there is a new OMLED sony player coming out with WIFI that is the same price as the S9

I had the S9 for not long and there are a few problems here and there and this is to be expected, both the S9 and P3 can be touchy a little on the screen and the G-sensor on the S9 really annoyed me, not a fan of these, the S9 needs to make all the switching alot smoother, the P3, its a manual affair and i much prefer the control over screen orientation

As for the P3, well its 80 pounds cheaper than the S9 and that is a massive difference and the P3 is well worth the money .. so far, it feels like a million dollars, not as good looking on paper as the S9 but in your hands and side by side the P3 wins as to look and feel at the same time us the best way to tell

Basically both players have their faults and i am beginning to think all players do, the reason i bought the S9 was that i have been buying chinese players (meizu, teclast etc) for a while now and participate strongly with therm and i was sick of people dissing them saying things like "forget this cheap crap im off to buy branded", so i thought i would do that myself, to see if branded (and more expensive) was really the better deal, so far i have seen many of the problems with the cheap chinese players on these more expensive branded ones, yes the P3 and others have heaps more funkines and features but strip away all the fluff and their core functionalities are the same, just done with a little more flare on the bigger brands, but .. with the same problems

anyway, back to topic, for me i am biased for my feelings on the S9 and i will say the P3 is way better .. better value for what is really the same functionality, yes the S9 has tv out, line in but those are addons as you need to buy the cables seperate, another 20+quid, pushing its price to 220 pounds in the UK and it really is not woth that kind of money, the P3 is way better, better build, better value and with excellent functinality

cheers and sorry for the long winded rant

maderin

Old 04-28-2009, 01:37 PM

^ I see...

I like honest post so no need to say sorry

Old 04-28-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragbat View Post

What clinched it?

you know, the same thing for me...had the creative ZEN, went to the P3 instead of the S9 for the exact same reasons (and bought from amazon too, except I got mine today, haha)...hope you enjoy it!

as for the topic:

totally enjoying it so far, the only thing I don't like is that I can't play my favorite newgrounds flash movies on it, but I think I'll live

except for mkv and rmvb files, everything I had worked (mpeg, avi, mp4), best part is no need for transcoding, watching the latest Big Bang Theory on the go was nice and painless

now excuse me while I play with it some more...

Old 04-28-2009, 02:30 PM

i am happy with my p3
but the battery life isnīt good at all
it says 30 h of audio playback
mine is empty after max. 10 hours
i donīt know why
i set off vibration, touch tone, brightness is 5/10

my brother has a ipod touch 2g
it has a resolution of 320 x 280
p3 : 480 x 272 like psp
BUT i compared them side to side
lowest brightness level on both (same picture)
the p3 is brightener and so it is more beautiful
highest brightness level on both (same picture)
the ipod is much brightener and itīs amazing
the p3 doesnīt look good against the touch

but the music quality is better if using DNSe 3.0
so i m very happy about that

Old 04-28-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by username123 View Post
i am happy with my p3
but the battery life isnīt good at all
it says 30 h of audio playback
mine is empty after max. 10 hours
i donīt know why
i set off vibration, touch tone, brightness is 5/10

my brother has a ipod touch 2g
it has a resolution of 320 x 280
p3 : 480 x 272 like psp
BUT i compared them side to side
lowest brightness level on both (same picture)
the p3 is brightener and so it is more beautiful
highest brightness level on both (same picture)
the ipod is much brightener and itīs amazing
the p3 doesnīt look good against the touch

but the music quality is better if using DNSe 3.0
so i m very happy about that
huh...might be something wrong with it if it's battery is running out that fast.

So the video quality is better on the touch huh? Strange.....

Old 04-28-2009, 02:46 PM

i said music quality >.<