android
Old 04-28-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by username123 View Post
i said music quality >.<
You said... "the ipod is much brightener and it´s amazing
the p3 doesn´t look good against the touch"

That kind of sounded like you thought the touch had a better picture. Unless I am misunderstanding what you wrote.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-28-2009, 02:56 PM

I've had my P3 for three weeks and like it very much. Video playback is a great strength - no need to convert Xvid/Divx.
First video player I've had - previous device was a Creative Zen Micro. Things it had that the P3 doesn't (and should have, IMO) are audio bookmarks and Creative's neat Auto DJ feature. But the P3 sounds much better than the Zen.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:27 PM

Long story short: First i had Creative Muvo Slim 32MB then i went for Creative Zen V 2GB then came my Creative Zen 4GB and 2 months ago i decided to go for a new player and i started searching the market. After a while i had 3 candidates. P3, S9 and itouch. I eliminated the itouch first cause after reading some revievs and watching some videos i saw that touch has neither good sound quality nor good video performance. Then i was in between P3 and S9 and honestly i chose P3 cause it was cheaper. After 2 months with my P3. Now i can say that I dont regret my decision. I feel that i had more quality than what i paid for. Good sound, fantastic video, touchscreen and quality build. Although my ears are so used to Creative sound engine so i sometimes miss creative ,but day by day with help of DNSe sound gets good for me. I also miss audio bookmarking, DJ and Creating playlists on the go, but maybe in future firmwares samsung will solve these problems. But when i taste video and build quality, i forget all lacks and i totally love my P3.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to abi.
Thanks Dreamnine

Old 04-28-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah - the screens are customizable.. Probably the only widget I like is that lightbulb
I like the look of the folding clock. Very neat. I'm hoping Samsung bring out a Nixie clock, now that would look cool

Old 04-28-2009, 04:06 PM

Default GRA!!

[rant/]
all of you people are just making me more confuzeded!! Cowon S9, or Samsung P3. Cowon S9, or Samsung P3... as P2 owner, I feel like the P3 is not different enough, where as the Cowon is. but the P3 is a ton cheaper, and feels the way I like in my hand. grr...
[/rant]

Old 04-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

P3 now available for pre-order at B&H. $199 for 16gb. Minimum $6.50 USPS shipping from B&H.

Amazon has the 16gb S9 for $205.98. Free shipping. Doesn't seem like a ton cheaper to me.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:30 PM

Here in the UK the P3 is roughly GBP50 less than the S9

Old 04-28-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadg1717 View Post
Here in the UK the P3 is roughly GBP50 less than the S9
seems that across the pond things are very different between the P3 and the S9

i bought the S9 16gb for £219 with both cables (sent back now)
i bought the P3 for £140 16gb

in the us it seems the prices are alot closer (and cheaper for thre S9) maybe because there is now true british cowon company/distribution??

either way, as you can see the price diff is nearer £80 than 50, a ridiculous amount

again either way, regardless, if they were the same price .. P3 all the way

this kind of decision is where the internet is pants, you really need to get to a store and play around with both

Old 04-29-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
watching the latest Big Bang Theory on the go was nice and painless
I'm also watching Big Bang Theory in the train. (That probably anoys the peaple aroud me a litle when i laugh and they don't know why.)

Old 04-29-2009, 10:39 AM

Arrived today!

I've not been able to do a full test as this player is actually my birthday present off my girlfriend. She let me order it online, said I could test it to make sure it's OK, then back in the box, wrapped up and I have to wait till the weekend to get my mits on it!

Anyway...!

Out of the box, 2 bars on the battery (more than I need for a quick test), decided to drop a couple of videos on it to check the transfer speed, screen quality and playback.
Nothing would play
None of my DivX/XviD AVI's would work (those I tested). Felt a bit alarmed...
Checked firmware, it was 1.15(EU), downloaded 2.10(EU) then updated the player, lost sketch app (no loss to me), gained a more accurate touch response I noticed straight away. The haptic feedback seemed a little different too (for the better), it's a two phase vibrate, one for press and one for release... and now... All my AVI's play!!
However... The P3 does suffer from what many standalone DVD players with XviD support suffer from. That is any XviD AVI's that have a 'packed bitsream' will playback jerky and with a reduced framerate. Using 'MPEG 4 Modifier' is a quick fix. It doesn't re-encode the AVI but can quickly resave it with an 'unpacked' bitstream. Once this is done, they then playback lovely and smooth on the P3. Unfortunately there is no batch process with this program, so you'll have to do your AVI's one at a time (those that are packed). Google 'MPEG4 modifier' to find the program.
I like the haptic feedback, but I fear that it will drain the battery prematurely. This feature, although nice, I think I will eventually switch off.
Not having to re-encode AVI's (apart from the bitstream hiccup) is a welcome time saver. Dragging and dropping into the video folder is quick. a 700mb video over USB 2.0 took about 1 minute. Videos that do not match the aspect ratio of the P3 (16:9) can be double-tapped while playing to cycle through the display size options (also available from the pop-up menu). Standard, full and zoom. The player also remembers the setting. I have left it on zoom as I want to utilize every pixel!
DNSe is only available through the headphones (or whatever you connect to it) and on video playback I set it to 'Theatre'. Wow! I love how it sounds. Just like a cinema auditorium, deep, resonant, with a subtle echo. Won't use that setting for everything, but it is very nice on movies.
The screen quality is very good, but a little smaller than I'd like. It's not that much bigger than my Creative ZEN, just a little wider with the 16:9 aspect. It is sharp though and has good viewing angles. Wish Samsung could have used all the glass area for it. Would have given it another half an inch, never mind.
Played a couple of audio tracks and was very impressed with the DNSe enhancements (didn't have time to go through all the settings). Much better than my ZEN.

So my initial impression.

Flippin' love it.

Can't wait till the weekend to delve deeper.

Scrag.

Last edited by Scragbat; 04-29-2009 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Typo

Old 04-29-2009, 10:46 AM

^ hey scrag, I didn't realise you could double tap the video screen to change the display type (actual, standard, full, zoom etc) - nice one!

Old 04-29-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjrock View Post
^ hey scrag, I didn't realise you could double tap the video screen to change the display type (actual, standard, full, zoom etc) - nice one!
Neither did I
Discovered it by accident! Don't know if it's in the manual? Didn't have time to check...

Old 04-29-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragbat View Post
Arrived today!

I've not been able to do a full test as this player is actually my birthday present off my girlfriend. She let me order it online, said I could test it to make sure it's OK, then back in the box, wrapped up and I have to wait till the weekend to get my mits on it!

Anyway...!

Out of the box, 2 bars on the battery (more than I need for a quick test), decided to drop a couple of videos on it to check the transfer speed, screen quality and playback.
Nothing would play
None of my DivX/XviD AVI's would work (those I tested). Felt a bit alarmed...
Checked firmware, it was 1.15(EU), downloaded 2.10(EU) then updated the player, lost sketch app (no loss to me), gained a more accurate touch response I noticed straight away. The haptic feedback seemed a little different too (for the better), it's a two phase vibrate, one for press and one for release... and now... All my AVI's play!!
However... The P3 does suffer from what many standalone DVD players with XviD support suffer from. That is any XviD AVI's that have a 'packed bitsream' will playback jerky and with a reduced framerate. Using 'MPEG 4 Modifier' is a quick fix. It doesn't re-encode the AVI but can quickly resave it with an 'unpacked' bitstream. Once this is done, they then playback lovely and smooth on the P3. Unfortunately there is no batch process with this program, so you'll have to do your AVI's one at a time (those that are packed). Google 'MPEG4 modifier' to find the program.
I like the haptic feedback, but I fear that it will drain the battery prematurely. This feature, although nice, I think I will eventually switch off.
Not having to re-encode AVI's (apart from the bitstream hiccup) is a welcome time saver. Dragging and dropping into the video folder is quick. a 700mb video over USB 2.0 took about 1 minute. Videos that do not match the aspect ratio of the P3 (16:9) can be double-tapped while playing to cycle through the display size options (also available from the pop-up menu). Standard, full and zoom. The player also remembers the setting. I have left it on zoom as I want to utilize every pixel!
DNSe is only available through the headphones (or whatever you connect to it) and on video playback I set it to 'Theatre'. Wow! I love how it sounds. Just like a cinema auditorium, deep, resonant, with a subtle echo. Won't use that setting for everything, but it is very nice on movies.
The screen quality is very good, but a little smaller than I'd like. It's not that much bigger than my Creative ZEN, just a little wider with the 16:9 aspect. It is sharp though and has good viewing angles. Wish Samsung could have used all the glass area for it. Would have given it another half an inch, never mind.
Played a couple of audio tracks and was very impressed with the DNSe enhancements (didn't have time to go through all the settings). Much better than my ZEN.

So my initial impression.

Flippin' love it.

Can't wait till the weekend to delve deeper.

Scrag.
I’m not very technical in codes and formats and all that crap.

So my question is this….if I want to rip a DVD and put it on a P3 how do I go about doing it without having issues?

Old 04-29-2009, 01:45 PM

^ another question...is the screen big enough for movies in your opinion?

It's smaller than the S9 and a lot smaller than the touch. What do you think?

Old 04-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Banned

It's great for movies- widescreen. I watched Goodfellas on it recently and it's miles better than a portable DVD (and much lighter).

Old 04-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Banned

I've watched movies on my N95 too, and the P3 beats that easily

Old 04-29-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I've watched movies on my N95 too, and the P3 beats that easily
Have you seen it side by side with an ipod touch?

Old 04-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Banned

Like I said, though, until you get your paws on an S9 and a P3 and compare them for yourself, you won't really be able to make a good decision. I played around with the S9, but I'd already owned a Cowon and preferred the Bluetooth and the form factor of the P3. And forget I-pods. They are crap, to be blunt.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Like I said, though, until you get your paws on an S9 and a P3 and compare them for yourself, you won't really be able to make a good decision. I played around with the S9, but I'd already owned a Cowon and preferred the Bluetooth and the form factor of the P3. And forget I-pods. They are crap, to be blunt.
I know they/ipod are not the best quality but it’s a fairly cool little “toy”.

Some of the apps like streaming audio, internet, games, etc are pretty cool. That said I’m not really looking for a toy but I do like the size of the touch’s screen. It’s really too bad that the ipods don’t take their selves more serious in the audio and video quality department.

I do wish that the P3 had internet and some way of streaming music over the internet though...