android
Old 04-29-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahaha View Post
I’m not very technical in codes and formats and all that crap.

So my question is this….if I want to rip a DVD and put it on a P3 how do I go about doing it without having issues?
Suffice to say I use a combination of AnyDVD, DVD Decrypter and Handbrake. I rip the DVD to the hard drive as a single VOB (none split) with DVD Decrypter and AnyDVD running. Then use a profile in Handbrake to convert the VOB to an AVI.

The closest I can think of to an almost all-in-one solution is using Auto Gordian Knot (AutoGK). There's a bit of reading involved...

http://www.autogk.me.uk/modules.php?name=TutorialEN

EDIT...

Actually, the fastest method is to have AnyDVD running (This decrypts DVD's on the fly), then load up Handbrake and point it to the VIDEO_TS folder in your DVD-ROM drive. Handbrake cannot normally encode from an encrypted DVD but with AnyDVD running in the background that is taken care of.
I haven't actually tried this method but it should work...

Sorry for taking this thread OT...

EDIT 2

Just to confirm, AnyDVD together with HandBrake does encode DVD's on-the-fly, very quickly too. Just tried 'The Truman Show' to x264 MP4. Took 25 minutes.

Last edited by Scragbat; 05-01-2009 at 05:22 AM. Reason: additinal info

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
I know they/ipod are not the best quality but it’s a fairly cool little “toy”.

Some of the apps like streaming audio, internet, games, etc are pretty cool. That said I’m not really looking for a toy but I do like the size of the touch’s screen. It’s really too bad that the ipods don’t take their selves more serious in the audio and video quality department.

I do wish that the P3 had internet and some way of streaming music over the internet though...
For me browsing is done just on my phone or PC. For music only a DAP with good SQ will do.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragbat View Post
Suffice to say I use a combination of AnyDVD, DVD Decrypter and Handbrake. I rip the DVD to the hard drive as a single VOB (none split) with DVD Decrypter and AnyDVD running. Then use a profile in Handbrake to convert the VOB to an AVI.

The closest I can think of to an almost all-in-one solution is using Auto Gordian Knot (AutoGK). There's a bit of reading involved...

http://www.autogk.me.uk/modules.php?name=TutorialEN

EDIT...

Actually, the fastest method is to have AnyDVD running (This decrypts DVD's on the fly), then load up Handbrake and point it to the VIDEO_TS folder in your DVD-ROM drive. Handbrake cannot normally encode from an encrypted DVD but with AnyDVD running in the background that is taken care of.
I haven't actually tried this method but it should work...

Sorry for taking this thread OT...
hmm...I need to read up on all this stuff I guess.

I thought you could just drag and drop if you wanted?

I downloaded a free movie converter and used it for lord of the rings...turned it into AVI. Then used the software from blackberry to convert it and put it on my phone.

This seems more difficult...

Old 04-29-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:

I downloaded a free movie converter and used it for lord of the rings...turned it into AVI. Then used the software from blackberry to convert it and put it on my phone.

I doubt mine is the easiest or best method, but it is pretty quick and gives me pleasing results. There are just so many ways to do this.

If you have a method that works for you and you're happy with it, I'd personally stick with it.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:

hi, i use a converter called VIDROP from mympxplayer.org, its free and can convert from DVD in one step, no need for multiple encoding, just set it up and leave it converting, i use for all mine ans the results are excellent

someone mentioned double tapping, this took me a while to get right as you have to get the right timing and rhythm to get it to work properly, this works in image viewer also and zooms in 4 times then back to original size

one feaeture i love is mosaic, i found that if you press and hold the screen it will auto do the mosaic, once doen, pressing and holding will bring up the mosaic list again without it having to redo it, its ther and ready to use, very nice feature,

tried iplayer vid on this, excellent quality

one thing i have seen thoiugh, is an age old problem of sync, video and voice sometimes go out of sync, both on my vids and on the iplayer ones, a kwik tap on the FF button pops it back into place though, i thought this was a trademark of the chinese player and was surprised to see it happening on here

so far ID tagging on this thing is causing massive heads for me, i have a dozen or so player and none have hassled me as much as this, first it would not list in track order, sorted that now it has somehow corrupted some songs and a loud scream comes from the player and reboots, i tried deleting the file i thought was duff only for the player to lose its database on most of the songs!!!

need to investigate more on why this player is so fussy when all my other players have had no problems at all with the same file set - so far may be the killer for me on this player

Old 04-30-2009, 10:16 AM

So how is the sound for this player? I have heard a mixed bag of things....

Old 04-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
So how is the sound for this player? I have heard a mixed bag of things....
It sounds good- to me it sounds better than any player I've ever listened to, and that's quite a few.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Banned

If you aren't buying until July, you'll have plenty of time to get hands-on experience of both the S9 and the P3.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
If you aren't buying until July, you'll have plenty of time to get hands-on experience of both the S9 and the P3.

Not really, I'm in the US and there are no places that carry the S9 around here.

I should be able to check out the P3 though.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:47 PM

buy rthe S9 from a store online that offer a return in 7/14 days thing, this is what i did, got mine did not like it and just returned it within the time fram no questions asked, most stores have this policy anyway so you get to player, just look after it, dont open all the stuff just use your own phones and test it out

Old 05-01-2009, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by username123 View Post
i am happy with my p3
but the battery life isnīt good at all
it says 30 h of audio playback
mine is empty after max. 10 hours
i donīt know why
i set off vibration, touch tone, brightness is 5/10
Is there any chance you had bluetooth turned on and just didnt notice? My battery died once after about 7 or so hours of use in work, i started worrying there was something wrong with it then found out id had the bluetooth left on all night.

I absolutely love my P3. i didnt want to go for a touch cos then id just be yet another apple fan boy The sound is amazing ive found, especially after playing round with the equaliser and using the clarity setting which is great to. Obviously the screen size isnt ideal for watching movies but it is still really good and nice and bright. My Only problem so far, (other than getting an 8gb player with a 4gb drive inside..lol) is that i cant get the sodding album art to show for some reason. That might just be cos i need to update my id3 tag version though.

Last edited by garyk; 05-01-2009 at 05:01 AM.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Is there any chance you had bluetooth turned on and just didnt notice? My battery died once after about 7 or so hours of use in work, i started worrying there was something wrong with it then found out id had the bluetooth left on all night.

I absolutely love my P3. i didnt want to go for a touch cos then id just be yet another apple fan boy The sound is amazing ive found, especially after playing round with the equaliser and using the clarity setting which is great to. Obviously the screen size isnt ideal for watching movies but it is still really good and nice and bright. My Only problem so far, (other than getting an 8gb player with a 4gb drive inside..lol) is that i cant get the sodding album art to show for some reason. That might just be cos i need to update my id3 tag version though.
Is Bluetooth that much of an extra drain? I was hoping to pair it with my moby, but battery life of the player is very important to me. For this reason I will probably turn off Haptic too.

BTW Mediamonkey is great for getting or fixing album art for music. Will embed the art into the tracks as well. I would also recommend the plug-in MiniLyrics too. Automatically retrieves lyrics for a song as soon as you start it playing with Mediamonkey, also synchronizes the lyrics to the music in a lot of cases (karaoke style) and can be set to embed into the mp3. Not sure if the P3 plays synchronised lyrics though. Have not had a chance to test yet... I think the P2 did this...?

Last edited by Scragbat; 05-01-2009 at 05:12 AM. Reason: additional info

Old 05-01-2009, 05:33 AM

I wouldnt say its much of a drain unless you leave it on constantly while also playing music for 7 hours straight. thats about how long mine lasted from a full charge. although that was with my first P3 which had the wrong size drive in it, it may have had a duff battery to. My new one i currently use for 9 hours straight while i work and i maybe lose one bar of charge in that time. of course i dont use the bluetooth unless im sending or recieving files.

Media monkey is a windows application isnt it? ive heard of it but im an ubuntu user, none of that evil windows stuff for me I use amarok to manage my music but for putting it on my p3 i simply copy and paste it into the music folder, nice and simple. Im sure i just need to update my tags and ill be fine. i have a tagger that embeds the album art so ill do it when i can get round to it..lol.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
I wouldnt say its much of a drain unless you leave it on constantly while also playing music for 7 hours straight. thats about how long mine lasted from a full charge. although that was with my first P3 which had the wrong size drive in it, it may have had a duff battery to. My new one i currently use for 9 hours straight while i work and i maybe lose one bar of charge in that time. of course i dont use the bluetooth unless im sending or recieving files.
Good info. I will probably use it the same way. Maybe just have it paired with my mobile for my journey to work.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:20 AM

I have a stupid question about bluetooth.

Could the P3 play music through the playstation 3? Just curious...not sure how all that works.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Banned

I'm not sure about that - I don't know anything about Playstations - but it works fine with any Bluetooth speakers - that's what I use it for.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

That's it, I've decided on what player I'm getting next, just check my sig!!!

Old 05-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
That's it, I've decided on what player I'm getting next, just check my sig!!!
You've got quite a menagerie.. How about the Q2 and the new Sony too..?

Old 05-01-2009, 09:10 AM

Well what about subscription music like rhapsody? Will the P3 work with it?

Old 05-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well what about subscription music like rhapsody? Will the P3 work with it?
Not sure, either. I would imagine so.