android
Old 04-28-2009, 07:28 PM

Default SMC Won't Install

I posted on the official Sansa forums about this problem, and have seen someone else do so, but neither thread has gained any responses. Do here's a shot in the dark, hoping someone might know how to fix this.

I had SMC working on my system. I was running Vista Home Premium, SP1. I had to do a system recovery, including a complete reinstall of the OS. I've applied all updates, and I have Quicktime. Otherwise, it is a completely clean installtion of Windows. When I attempt to install SMC, it gets past "unpacking" with its logo, and gives me this series of errors:

Quote:
Internal Failure. Error Number: 0x80040707
Internal Failure. Error Number: 0x80040707
ERROR: loading DirectX DLL (0x0100)
I have since reinstalled DirectX, thinking that was the culprit, with the same results.

Even if the Fuze's video support isn't the best, I'd like to take advantage of it. Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong with SMC, my computer, or how to put my videos on the Fuze without using SMC? Apparently it is possible with the Rhapsody software, but do I have to be a Rhapsody member to use it?

Any help is appreciated greatly!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDeet View Post
I posted on the official Sansa forums about this problem, and have seen someone else do so, but neither thread has gained any responses. Do here's a shot in the dark, hoping someone might know how to fix this.

I had SMC working on my system. I was running Vista Home Premium, SP1. I had to do a system recovery, including a complete reinstall of the OS. I've applied all updates, and I have Quicktime. Otherwise, it is a completely clean installtion of Windows. When I attempt to install SMC, it gets past "unpacking" with its logo, and gives me this series of errors:

I have since reinstalled DirectX, thinking that was the culprit, with the same results.

Even if the Fuze's video support isn't the best, I'd like to take advantage of it. Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong with SMC, my computer, or how to put my videos on the Fuze without using SMC? Apparently it is possible with the Rhapsody software, but do I have to be a Rhapsody member to use it?

I've never tried it myself, but I have heard that Rhapsody will convert video for the Fuze, and that it is more successful.....but that's all hearsay. Supposedly you don't have to be a member of Rhapsody to use it for that purpose, but as I said, I haven't tried it so I can't guarantee anything.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDeet View Post

I can try and help as best I can Rachel as I'm a XP user not Vista. Since SMC is not installing properly I would first check out the SMC page on the Sandisk site to see if there are any special Vista incompatibilities/installation procedures that need to be taken when installing SMC on Vista.

As far as getting media on your player no you don't NEED Rhapsody as far as music goes. Any mp3, ogg, flac, wma music file is compatible with the Fuze. Video on the other hand is another story. Yes Sandisk does include SMC when you buy the Fuze but in order to get video on your player you need to do an 'initial' conversion to get your video into a format that SMC 'likes'. There are lots of ways to do this but the one that I like is converting the video file first to .mov, then putting the file into SMC for conversion to the Fuze itself. Long winded I know but it's really the only way to get decent video on your player. It will be easier for you because you already have Quicktime installed on your computer. Google the free INTERNET VIDEO CONVERTER. It's one of the easier softwares to use for the initial conversion. Unfortunately at this time all roads to video on your Fuze lead to SMC Rachel...sorry. You NEED it to get video on your player. Hopefully that will change in subsequent firmware updates.

You should really get to know the Fuze manual Rachel. It has answers to alot of your questions. Here's a link...

http://www.sandisk.com/sansa/assets/...erguide_en.pdf

Hope this helps!
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Last edited by sansaguy; 04-28-2009 at 09:52 PM.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansaguy View Post
I would first check out the SMC page on the Sandisk site to see if there are any special Vista incompatibilities/installation procedures that need to be taken when installing SMC on Vista.
My trouble is, it was working fine previously, on an almost identical install of Vista, without any extra fiddling. That's why I'm lost. I am not, that I know of, missing any components, drivers, or software.There is nothing particularly odd about my computer set-up, either. Yet I am recieving a fatal internal error that no one can account for.

As for the rest, thank you for your reply, but I have music working just fine on my Fuze and enjoy it greatly, and I am aware of the fiddly bits about actually using the SMC. And I actually read the manual before even getting my Fuze so I knew what I'd be in for. XD

I'd be fine if I could get the silly thing to install. :-\

Last edited by RachelDeet; 04-29-2009 at 07:23 PM.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:07 PM

Making my one last comment on your problem...probably..:-), you said that you had to do a complete reinstall of your OS?. Before you did that reinstall did you do any hardware modifications to your computer like changing any cards, ram etc..?. Reason for my asking, because this actually happened to me some years ago on one of my earlier computers, that I had a heck of a time installing a version of Windows. It kept crashing and could never get a good installation...the proverbial 'blue screens of death' etc.

Anyway, through alot of troubleshooting, it turns out that the ram was the problem. Just by switching positions of the ram sticks I was able to install and use Windows again. I know it sounds crazy but after that episode, I take nothing for granted now.

I would, just to be on the safe side, do a thorough check of my computer just to make sure that all components are 'seated' properly etc. After that and you still have problems..??. Maybe hire a priest to do an exorcism on your computer...lol

Again, just a thought. Is funny though that everything else on your computer works except SMC?. Maybe you had a bad download..?. Try downloading it again. Are you running Vista as an admin or client user?. Just some questions I would be asking myself.

Hope your able to fix your problem Rachel!
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC