android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Sony Walkman > Walkman E Series

Old 05-01-2009, 09:54 AM

Default NWZ-E438F Metadata not showing on some tracks, incompatible ID3 ver?

Hello,

I'm using a Linux box, so I can't use the Sony software to transfer files back and forth to the Walkman. However, according to the Walkman documentation, the Walkman reads the metadata from the files when they're added, so just copying over the mp3 files should work fine.

The problem is that about 10% of my 1200 files on the Walkman display their metadata correctly, while the others have "unknown" for Album, Artist, etc.

I've checked the problem files in Songbird, Foobar2000, and on my iRiver H320 running Rockbox, and the metadata is there and reading properly.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe some of the tags have been written in an incompatible ID3 format. I couldn't find what versions of ID3 are supported by my Walkman to check this out.

If there's something else I'm overlooking, please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-02-2009, 05:45 AM

id3v2.3 is what your files should be tagged with. mp3tag can show what the current version is on all your songs (and change them if necessary).

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html

as you mentioned foobar in your post, i'm sure you won't have any problems getting this working in linux if you need to.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:24 PM

After getting frustrated with trying to tag AAC files, I tried MP3 now, because I thought - hey, it's old stuff, what can go wrong?

The tags are all v.2.4 ... all old tags are stripped. The Tagging tool even put a picture in there, a tiny jpeg one.

Guess what! I can see the actual picture during playback now! But everything about this music is "Unknown". AAAAAAAARGH!

What does a man have to do to get this player to read MP3 tags? Stinky, normal MP3 tags, nothing fancy! Gettin' more frustrated, now, sorry. I mean ... what on earth. Everyone's teenyweeny MP3 player can read them, why can't this one?!

Tags
id3, metadata, nwz-e438f, sony