android
Old 05-03-2009, 06:23 AM

Default I scratched my brand new Fuze

I was stupid enough to have my (uncovered) Fuze in my pocket along with my keys. Obviously, the screen got scratched. It's a nice big long scratch right across the right side of the screen. You can't see it if you hold it at an (awkward) angle but it shows really badly in daylight.

I don't really have a question or anything. I'm just confessing/venting/mourning.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-03-2009, 12:55 PM

My screen has a big key scratch from putting it in the same pocket as my keys as well. I got over it rather quickly, though. Still works the same and it's not like planned on watching videos or anything.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Banned

On hard plastic screens Brasso often works.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

or applesauce (its a brand, not actual applesauce!) i hear it actually fills in the scratch and works quite well.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:16 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Applesauce is just regular plastic polish.

Applesauce: $20 for two 1 oz bottles (also comes with 4 pollishing cloths, which are important).
Plastic Polish: $14 for two 2 oz bottles (also comes with a 3rd bottle of plastic cleaner, it's not clear if it comes with any cloths).

I just linked the first auctions in the list, I'm sure you can find better prices for both of these products. If there is a plastic supply store in your area you could probably buy the Novus polish locally.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:55 PM

Interesting. I'll test drive some plastic polish out on my old e200. Thanks guys, I really didn't expect any sort of solution! (no pun intended... honestly)

Old 05-16-2009, 05:53 AM

So i tried some plastic polish out on my e200, it does take the scratches away but only because it replaces them with a hazy surface, essentially millions of very thin scratches, that follow the pattern you used when polishing it. I don't think i like this look and would prefer to have the scratches. Unless there is a way to polish the screen so that it doesn't appear that way. I used the provided polishing cloth.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:32 PM

There's 2 levels of grit, did you use the finer grit? It suppose to leave a nice flat reflective surface.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:11 PM

Actually I just bought a fairly generic cheap plastic polish, I imagined they would all be roughly the same. I see what you mean though, it needs to be fine grain to leave a smooth reflective surface. I'll see what else I can find.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
Actually I just bought a fairly generic cheap plastic polish, I imagined they would all be roughly the same. I see what you mean though, it needs to be fine grain to leave a smooth reflective surface. I'll see what else I can find.
Automotive polish is a good alternative. Here is a thread on DAPreview.net which goes into it in fine detail (and for the e200 specifically).