android
Old 05-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Banned

Default P3 Bluetooth battery test.

I was wondering how long the P3's battery lasted when playing music over Bluetooth, so I ran a simple test. This was pretty subjective and not everyone will get the same results.

Firmware was 2.07 EU (touch). The EQ was on and DNSE was enabled. The settings were: 4 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 3 - 8. 3D was set to 2. Bass was set to 2. Concert Hall was off. Clarity was set to 2. The master EQ was flat. Audio upscaler was off. Street mode was off. The Haptic sub-woofer was off. Volume was set to 12.

I hooked the P3 up to my bluetooth speakers, set it to shuffle and played a folder of mp3 and wma files ranging from 160 to 320 kbps some constant rate, others variable. The volume was set to 12, and , after taking a couple of photos, I left the P3 alone.

I got 18 hours and 10 minutes. This was perhaps a bit longer than I expected. Using wired phones in every day use, I maybe get 20 to 25 hours, but then the screen is on quite a bit and I'm adjusting settings. I expected Bluetooth to be even more of a drain.

As a matter of curiosity I tested my Clip to see if I would get the manufacturers suggested 15 hours and wired it up. EQ was off, volume was 15, and I played the same folder of mixed files. Result was 9 hours 15 minutes. About what I expected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clip.jpg (33.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg P3 and Intempo.jpg (31.6 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Dreamnine; 05-06-2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: typo

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Banned

bump..

Old 05-07-2009, 01:39 PM

great test Dreamnine...people had me scared that bluetooth was not such a great feature because it was eating up battery like crazy. You are a very helpful person.

I noticed Samsung is good about battery life specs...not trying to be too conservative I got 46 hours of Audio with the Q2, I'm gonna explain more about it in a big review.

Still good that Samsung is right on...

Do you think the Master EQ will drain it more as it's applying more change/enhancement? I currently have it slightly off being flat but not too crazy.

Again thanks for this test, so far I've only used bluetooth for my cell phone, just to call my brother across the country and tell him I was using a mp3 player. It was funny to hear his reaction. I've been thinking about getting some bluetooth headphones though....don't like any way I've tried to set up with my IEM's....even walking around the apartment complex is too much noise from rubbing of the cords.

Usually something I'm carrying...mail, trash bags, kids stuff from car, etc. ...ends up pushing, pulling, or grabbing the cords and having the headphones trying to come otu my ear....pretty annoying.

I'm curious how battery life will last with just Clarity at 1, Bass at 1, all else at flat/normal level and volume at about 8....as that's actually loud enough with a couple of my headphones. Never messing around with the screen. Should be a little over 30 hours I'm guessing.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Banned

If you had everything flat and all the enhancements off, you'd get more battery life, but putting any of them on, the battery will take a hit , I guess. Same with the size of the files and their format, but I don't know anyone who plays 128 cbr files these days. The Q2 looks great for battery life.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:13 PM

most of my songs are 128....just how I got them 5 years ago...a friend in Iraq had a crazy number of songs when I had none at all, so I hooked my laptop up to his and started to grab whatever I liked.

Probably does help my battery life some...

I know I fell asleep last night listening to the P3 after already playing 10 minutes of video and about an hour of songs prior to passing out....and woke up with a full battery bar. That's with EQ settings changed, bass and clarity on 1, volume on 7. Still now have been up for about 2 hours and battery icon shows full with another 45 minutes of playing music.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Banned

Yeah I wish I got that battery life. It's what I miss about the D2. If I go overnight anywhere I'm gonna have to take Samsungs (unweildy) USB cord with me. I had a T10 and loved it- great Bluetooth and SQ, but its battery must have been around 12 hours- I wasn't even getting a day out of it.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:27 PM

Just pack a Q2 along with you! Haha, seriously though, the sound is almost the same....might even be the same for most people but the ones I have right now are just slightly different from each other.

Unless you have to use bluetooth for the way you are listening...

An extra battery for a laptop can cost more than the Q2...seriously awesome for the price.

Do you know of an armband case that would fit the P3? Was thinking about seeing if an iPod Touch armband case will work because they usually have a very tight fit and the P3 is a decent sized player, not too far off.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Banned

I only use Bluetooth around the house- I don't like the headsets- they're just one more device to charge- accessories for the P3? I'm guessing one of those would fit, the P3 isn't great for on the fly listening.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:49 AM

46hours for Q2! That's really awesome!
I saw the most professional P3 battery test here:
According to my personal observations, I get:
25 hours of Audio (without mono speakers)
6 hours of Audio (with mono speakers)
5 hours of Video (without mono speakers)
2 hours of Video (with mono speakers)
48 hours on standby
96 hours on sleep
7 hours using Flash (without mono speakers)
3 hours using Flash (with mono speakers)
All P3 Games: 9 hours without mono speakers, 3 hours with mono speakers.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Recharging P3 battery: (From Low Battery Status)
When computer is on: 3 hours for full recharge
When computer is on standby/sleep/power-save mode (only for desktops): less than 2 hours for full recharge depending on power-save mode.
When computer is off (only for desktops): 1 hour or less (depending on what technology your PC uses [older PC technology like Intel Pentium Family charges P3 more quickly than Intel Core 2 Family])
Mine took me 45 minutes when my computer was off (starting with low battery status).
For some reason, charging my P3 does not work with turned-off laptops (even when they are plugged into A/C Outlet).

Tested by vzegm from *********.com

Old 05-08-2009, 03:14 AM

It's crazy the mono speakers cut battery life down so much.

I think the older computers charging up the P3 faster has more to do with the person starting up Task Manager and shutting down processes that are not needed. I've never seen a computer charge anything as fast as the laptop I'm on right now...which has a Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

Much, much faster than the desktop I have which is running with a Pentium.

In the end, its very useful info but it's also only one man's experience with one P3.

I'm sure there is someone with a new Q2 that is only gonna get 30 hours and let everyone know about it...and then those people will tell everyone the official battery life for the Q2 is really only 30 hours.

Gotta do my own tests now :P

Old 05-08-2009, 06:00 AM

I can vouch for the amazing loss of battery life with the mono speaker.. Whoever could've guessed a rather soft mono speaker with no option for DNSe could reduce the life so much..

Old 05-09-2009, 11:04 PM

^ you guys can charge the P3 only when it is in Sleep Mode for vista. Hibernate does not work.. If its in sleep you can charge and listen to music too~!

Old 05-11-2009, 02:40 AM

It's better to just get rid of hibernate all together...I do that the first day with a laptop

Old 05-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Banned

The EQ settings and the file format make a difference too. Not sure how long my battery would last listening to just Ogg.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:35 AM

I got 6 hours of play out of the P3 with bluetooth before it shut itself off and I had to wall charge it for the last hour of my day at work.

Settings, volume at 25, Master EQ all @ 0, DNS3: EQ +3 +2 +1 +1 +2 +3 +4 ; 3d & BASS 0 ; Concert/Hall size and level 0 ; Clarity 2.

Then Street Mode at 2 and Audio Upscaler on. Vibe woofer off.

All mp3's are 128Kbit and sound terrific with the upscaler.

Street mode used because I work in a noisy warehouse.

I connect to Sony SRS BTM30 blue tooth speakers (great sound reproduction for their size).

I will have to try a lower volume setting and see if I can get more than 6 hours.

Oh and that's with the full lock mode (screen off lock) for the whole duration and a full charge just prior to starting shift.

So the added settings and possibly the P3 volume settings really eat up battery (extra cpu processing I guess).

To keep me from having to plug in at work and keep my mobility, I just picked up a black and decker rechargeable AC/USB power pack for 10 bucks. Says it should provide 4 hours of power to mobile devices. So that with the 6 hours with all the whistles and bells should give me 10 hours a day before needing an AC outlet.

Hope this helps someone.

Ciao

Old 06-17-2009, 10:48 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you got over 18 hours of continuous Bluetooth playback?

Old 06-18-2009, 02:41 AM

In his test he did, but his volume was only 12, while mine was 25. Then I also used Street mode and Upscaler, and my EQ was a bit more boosted as a whole.

I think the upscaler sucks up quite a bit of power as well as the higher volume, even through bluetooth.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:23 AM
Banned

Real world time is going to be a lot less than 18 hours because of the various enhancements, volume, and messing around with the screen.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:48 PM

Hm I guess that's true. Also another question, if I have volume controls/other controls on my bluetooth head set and I press one of them will the p3 register it if the screen is locked? My phone (also a touch screen), once screen locked, wouldn't respond to it .

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Banned

Yes- your P3 will register it.