android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung P3

Old 05-08-2009, 01:09 AM

Default New Member here, just got my P3 today!

Hi all, how are you?
Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself here.
For months now I wanted to add a new media player to my arsenal of ipods and I was very sure that my newest device would not be an apple product. I was tempted on so many occasions to purchase the Cowon S9, but I am so glad that I waited it out and got what I really wanted, the sweet P3! Now I still have not read the manual, which I will do tomorrow, but I was wondering about one thing and I hope you guys could help me on that.

On my ipods before I could disconnet the usb cable from my players I had to eject the usb drive cable from my computer. So on my buttom right corner of my screen it would enable me to do so. However, with the P3 it does not give me the option. Additionally, how do I select a pre-set EQ? I am sorry if these questions are silly, but I am just too excited to read through the manual. I want to upload some Dream Theater and Gustav Mahler on my player and use my Alessandro MS-1 all night long.

Thanks folks!!!

Oh, btw I purchased the 16GB one in black.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-08-2009, 01:45 AM

Hullo there Facade, congratulations on your new toy! The eject stuff doesnt seem to work for me either, so when I can see that the P3's not transferring files, I just pull the cable out.
As far as preset equalisers go, you can select from DNSe options on the now playing screen. Its available from the menu in the bottom center of the screen.
Enjoy!

Old 05-08-2009, 01:52 AM

Thank you ananth!
I really love my P3! I am still very thrilled about it.
Regarding the unplugging the cable, will it not damage the P3? Or is it just the way it was meant to be?
Additionally, do EQ settings work on the radio as well?
Thanks!

Old 05-08-2009, 02:01 AM

hello again, you're making me slack off at work more and more.. :P jk!
Unplugging hasnt hurt the P3...yet...and I was told it was ok by another member
here..
And EQ doesnt work for Radio..the master EQ should still be usable from the
main settings menu..

Old 05-08-2009, 02:30 AM

Right about it being ok to just unplug it....just like when you plug a mouse receiver or gamepad receiver into the usb port. Don't know the exact specifics but it is 100% safe. If you don't see the Safely Remove Hardware icon down there at the bottom right in the taskbar after you plugged in any device...just go ahead and take it off when you are done using it and/or program or device tells you that it is ok.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:31 AM

Ah sorry to have troubled you. LOL
Anyway, I just uploaded music unto my P3 via Windows Media Player 11.
Now I am listening to Dream Theater-Surrounded.
Does Media Monkey work with the P3, cause I want to rip my cd's via FLAC.
Ah, I love the sound production.

Edit: Thank you very much Danjojo. Appreciate your input, now I feel great about that little issue (as it has been resolved).
AH one more thing. How do I update the firmware? Thanks.

Last edited by Facade19; 05-08-2009 at 02:39 AM.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:39 AM

I use Media Monkey 3 and it works a treat, for some reason I find it easier than the WMP crap..
Also makes adding Album Art a cinch..

Old 05-08-2009, 02:48 AM

I just used EmoDio to do the firmware update...some people are saying not to even use it but....seems ok to me. I'm just using it for music sometimes to see how it compares to other methods.

I had EmoDio already from when I purchased the Q2 a couple days before the P3...so when I used the usb connector to hook up the P3 it brought up the firmware update immediately.

I've heard there are places on the forums to get firmware updates if you are fearful of EmoDio. Even if it does leave behind anything as people are mentioning though, there are free programs to get rid of anything....so it's all cool to me.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:53 AM

If you do use it at all don't even bother with it's video converter....it's useless. Did not even start to convert any video when tried multiple times with Q2 and P3. I just use Free Video to iPod Converter and Any Video Converter (thanks to Dreamnine for mentioning it up to me) if I want to do WMV. Youtube videos all thrown straight on from DownloadHelper.

You might already know this stuff but just in case...

Old 05-08-2009, 03:27 AM

I will just go ahead and start using Media Monkey.
Now, could either of you possibly provide me with a link where I can go ahead and update my firmware please? I am using PrismConverter (the free version) if I need to convert videos, but Danjojo already mentioned, they go straight unto the P3 if need be.

Thank you both again for being really nice to me.
You do not even know how much I admire that!

Edit: Nevermind on that link, since I just noticed the Big and Bold lettered Samsung P3 Firmware sub-section.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:50 AM

No thanks needed, mate! I've received help in equal measure , thats what forums like these are for..
Firmware update is as easy as dragging and dropping the extracted bin file to the P3's root and disconnect, when you start up the P3, it'll display a message saying its upgrading firmware... and thats that!

Old 05-08-2009, 02:03 PM

Just out curiosity, how long should the battery last before I need to recharge it? I charged it yesterday for good 4 hours and after a couple of hours of usage, it went from 3 bars to 2 bars. Is that supposed to happen, or something wrong here. Thanks.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:20 PM

Just depends on what you are doing...I've used the P3 for a good 9 hours (some video mostly music) and then slept with it on volume 6 all night long and it showed 3 bars still. I think it could of just the same showed 2 bars....but was on the border and picked 3 lol

If you are jumping around the menus and playing video, jumping forward and back in video...using the bluetooth, trying out the games, etc....is all going to affect your battery.

In the bluetooth section of the P3 mini-forum there is a post that has a lot of different numbers that one guy got for battery-life.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:30 PM

Just checked my p3 as I did practically the same thing yesterday/lastnight maybe a little different with the time and some more video....and this time it shows 2 bars.

It's the good thing about having a new laptop though...always want to have it with me. This thing re-juices mp3 players so fast it doesn't matter if the battery lasts 15 hours of audio instead of the spec'd 30.

Facade did the P3 say it was fully charged? thats also something u want to think about. Your computer might not have been giving it all the goodness it wants in those 4 hours. If it did not, check to see you don't have a billion processes running on the Task Manager and clean out some junk.

Assuming it was fully charged...keep the vibrating haptic feature on 1 or off all the way. And don't use a brightness of 10 if it looks the same at 4 because you are in a dark area.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:09 PM

Danjojo thanks for the input.
I did play around with it for 2-3 hours so that could explain it. Moreover, I had the haptic function on, brightness too high and what else, well I changed all of those of course. Brightness is at four (or two) and haptic function is off. Internal clicking sound is off as well. Oh yes, the P3 screen stated that the battery was charged. So I don't know, I just hope all is good.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Banned

Welcome facade19 and glad you're enjoying your P3!

Old 05-09-2009, 03:13 AM

Ok I have one more question. Using Windows Media Player (I tried Media Monkey, but that is just way too complicated for me), how can I get the album cover to be transferred to the P3?

And one more thing, is there manufacture warranty on the P3, and if so how long? Should I purchase a separate warranty from Fry's?

Old 05-09-2009, 11:04 AM

Windows Media Player automatically looks for Album Art for me...

Tools
Options...
Library
Automatic media information update for files
Check box for Retrieve additional information from Internet
dot the circle for only add additional information where missing.....or if your music files are all f'd up then do Overwrite all media information

Should go right on if you sync your P3 with it.

Warranty info you gotta contact Samsung, I didn't see it anywhere. Might even be able to have Fry's dig up the info for you.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:03 PM

I've asked thhis before with no prevail, but I'll ask again anyway. After reading many posts and looking at many screens, the P3 has a "flash player". Does this mean that it can support flash vids?

Old 05-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalor2112 View Post
I've asked thhis before with no prevail, but I'll ask again anyway. After reading many posts and looking at many screens, the P3 has a "flash player". Does this mean that it can support flash vids?
Sadly, not- any .flv files need conversion.