android
Old 05-08-2009, 07:44 PM

Default Control Setup for the P3

I'm in the market for a new player, and although I know that what I desire is a d2, some part of me just doesnt want it. This part of me seems interested in the p3.

Right, now that I've finished with my crazy talk, here is my question.
Is the p3 comfortable to use?
Only I imagine it in my jeans/blazer pocket, with the bottom up to not damage my headphone jack. This would of course leave me with fairly easy access to the touch area. But what about volume? Why is that on the top( or when in pocket, bottom) of the player, so that I need to fish about in my pocket to press some fairly small buttons to stop my ears from bleeding?
Opinions, experiences and general discussion will as always be appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-08-2009, 07:52 PM

Um, I use the P3 in the exact same way you've mentioned but the volume for me is almost always sitting on 10(out of 30), and I find it not causing any sort of ear bleeding ... I can see why you're saying the controls slightly screwy but theres no way outta that..
If you need a general opinion, I find the P3 much better than any other touch player in the market now..(forgive me, S9 afficionados and apple slaves), the Sony X1000's seem really nice, they've got a control scheme you might like better.. but differ in some features..

Old 05-09-2009, 09:08 AM

i use a FiiO E5 mini amp with my players, one its an amp so boosts vol saving player power and two, it has dedicated volume controls on it and a bass boost, plus it has built in clip

its a useful little device as it seems both samsung and cowon deemed fit to put their buttons on the opposite side to the earphone so when in pocket cant be used!!!!

anyway, if you want to check ou the E5 amp its here

Last edited by maderin1; 05-09-2009 at 09:14 AM.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maderin1 View Post
i use a FiiO E5 mini amp with my players, one its an amp so boosts vol saving player power and two, it has dedicated volume controls on it and a bass boost, plus it has built in clip
Wouldn't an amp be a bit OTT? I'm a technophile rather than an auido junkie, so the amp would never be powering anything bigger than some jvc air cushions or maybe some AT sj-5. With my lower quailty 'phones, might it actually make the sound worse?

On a side note, does the p3 have a volume normaliser? Although some songs sound better louder (and not necessarily the ones that play louder), having a standard volume would at least be bearable. How loud would you say the player goes?

This is just me brainstorming, so be as critical or supportive as you want, any strong opinions might sway me!

EDIT: Also, budget. I was trying my hardest to stay below 150, and that 20 amp pushes the price of a 16gb from play up to 160. For that much, I might as well shop around for an x1000, which has the controls set up well. That seems a bit of a waste, because the UK is substandard for public wifi, so I'll be paying for a feature I dont even want

Last edited by gebal; 05-09-2009 at 09:42 AM.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Banned

The P3 goes pretty loud- it has a volume limiter you can set, although I'm not sure that's what you mean (software to make all your files the same loudness, perhaps?)
I haven't used mine outside, but they're pretty well indestructible- at least the screen is- and much cheaper than the S9.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
software to make all your files the same loudness, perhaps?
Yep, thats exactly what I mean. My e260 has it, but I found that it takes the volume off some songs where one instrument is notably louder than other instruments and vocals, meaning you still have to change the volume ><
If you can find it in the settings, can you try it out? Or tell me if it's not there?

On a side note, how versatile is it with flash apps? If I were to get it, I'd like some sort of google earth wannabe, some sort of encyclopaedia, a calculator and possibly the ability to play pandemic

EDIT: Ohhh, I see how I might have confused you. What I meant was if I play song X, an accoustic song about my cat dieing, then I move onto song Y, an electro thrash tune talking about having my way with over9000 women, then its likely that I would turn up song Y even if they were the player had both songs predestined to play at such a number of db. By normaliser, I meant that the player sets all the songs to play at the aforementioned volume level so I dont need to fish about in my pocket when the local band, for some unknown reason, has their songs recorded at half the volume of every other song on my pmp

Last edited by gebal; 05-09-2009 at 01:51 PM.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Banned

I know what you mean- it has something called 'wise volume' which I hadn't tried- listening to some Meatloaf atm it appears to flatten the sound a bit, although I can still turn the volume up. I'm guessing the 'wise' means it's automatic but isn't simply a volume limiter as I thought.
Really, this player has about a gazillion different sound settings including a haptic sub-woofer which I quite like.
Flash apps are quite rudimentary at the moment- the same sort of games as the Spinn and D2 but with a lot of room for development.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebal View Post
Wouldn't an amp be a bit OTT? I'm a technophile rather than an auido junkie, so the amp would never be powering anything bigger than some jvc air cushions or maybe some AT sj-5. With my lower quailty 'phones, might it actually make the sound worse?

On a side note, does the p3 have a volume normaliser? Although some songs sound better louder (and not necessarily the ones that play louder), having a standard volume would at least be bearable. How loud would you say the player goes?

This is just me brainstorming, so be as critical or supportive as you want, any strong opinions might sway me!

EDIT: Also, budget. I was trying my hardest to stay below 150, and that 20 amp pushes the price of a 16gb from play up to 160. For that much, I might as well shop around for an x1000, which has the controls set up well. That seems a bit of a waste, because the UK is substandard for public wifi, so I'll be paying for a feature I dont even want
fair enough, i forgot i got mine before the pound went shite, mine cost about 9, now 20$ is about 15 quid so its not as good a bargin, anyhow, my main reason was not really to boost anything but to at least have some rudimentary controls at hand, namely volume and mute functions

the P3 needs some form of inline remote to adjust vol and do next track etc, to me a player loses points if it cant be pocket played, especially when its crappt weather and taking it out is not an option, my best player for pocket controls is the meizu M6, can adjust vol and change tracks

samsung should make use of the bottom strip a little more,

Old 05-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Banned

Double post..?

Old 05-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Banned

To be honest, it isn't particularly pocket-friendly with it's dearth of tactile controls. But if you load up a playlist, set the 'wise volume' to on, press play and hold, you should be fine.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:50 PM

A few friends have ipod touches as their primary player, so I might talk to them and ask how they find getting round a touch interface with no or very few tactile buttons. And i second the idea of better integration of the touch strip and the possibility of an inline remote

Old 05-10-2009, 07:35 AM

If Sammy do go through a feedback system, we're soon gonna be looking at usage of the button end for skipping through tracks with a depressed hold apart from volume adjustments, a future firmware update for the P3 would probably do it.