android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung P3

Old 05-14-2009, 07:04 PM

Default Is the P3's screen suitable for movies in your opinion?

I drew up the size of then screen on a piece of paper at work and it looks fine to me...of course I'm looking at paper here.

I could see myself watching movies at work when I have nothing at all to do or even on my lunch break maybe.

So you guys who have a P3...is it big enough for you?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-14-2009, 07:28 PM

Almost as good as watching it on an iPod Touch if you have ever...

Even if the screen is brighter, higher resolution, AMOLED, etc. to me when they are this small the size is more important if they are close in quality. It's way better than any 2.5 inch or 2 inch screen for watching movies.

I've watched the movie Wanted on the iPod, Q2, and P3 all within the past few weeks and it was more enjoyable going in order of size. A good thing about the P3 is if you don't convert it or crop it to fit the screen you can still make the letter-boxing smaller by going Options-Display-Screen Size. From there it will say things like Standard, Full, and Zoom.

I'm sure the P3 in general is one of the better mp3 players for watching movies. It's not gonna beat up on bigger screens though.

Portable DVD player is much, much better...even the $90 ones. Laptops are the best for portable movie watching though.

For me something like the P3 is for watching a little bit of a movie when I don't feel like listening to music and my wife is taking too long inside of Wal-Mart.

When people nitpick how good these tiny screens are for movies it gets out of hand sometimes....they all suck, some just suck a little less.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A 3" screen is OK. 3.3" is better. 4.3" is even better. If you're buying one mainly for movies I suggest the iRiver P7.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:43 PM

The P3 works great for me. I watch episodes of TV shows my wife won't watch with me on my P3 during lunch.

I just moved to a P3 from a Zen and the screen of the P3 is much easier on the eyes.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
A 3" screen is OK. 3.3" is better. 4.3" is even better. If you're buying one mainly for movies I suggest the iRiver P7.
Most the reviews for the P7 have not been real good.

I was looking at the Cowon O2 PMP as well but the reviews said it's screen res was not real impressive.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:17 PM

Well, I can tell you, I just love to watch my favorite TV shows (such as Mr. Bean) on the P3, even if the screen is only 3''. It's a big enough screen in my opinion! Also, the quality of the videos (at least ripped from DVDs) is just about as good as watching them on an actual television. No problems with it so far!
*Watching Mr. Bean as I type*

Old 05-15-2009, 03:06 AM

I watch Fawlty Towers every day at lunch with the P3 propped between two rows of keys on my keyboard. On a totally unrelated note,snorting with laughter gets me wierd glances but I love watching it on my P3!

Old 05-15-2009, 03:40 AM

wow....just got a Blackberry Bold tonight and it actually has better video than the Samsung P3....f'ing crazy...

It is obviously brighter...way brighter...even set at 80% compared to the P3 at 100%. I think the other thing that makes it seem better is the stronger processor. Would of never guessed it would be like this.

It has an amazing sound for a phone as mentioned by EnzoTen and others as well...

And the external speaker is better than the P3 by atleast 4-1...

Old 05-15-2009, 04:40 AM

Update - even on 60 the Blackberry Bold is brighter than the P3 on 100....with more vibrant colors and deeper blacks. Along with smoother motion. The difference in resolution in favor of the Bold appears to be a good deal more than the numbers suggest also.

Didn't realize how dark the P3 was before. Playing the same music video file side by side along with the iPod Touch the P3 has far less brightness than either. It seems a lot more brilliant with photos for some reason.

I think it might be the P3 that goes bye bye now...

Anybody else have comparison videos of the P3 playing video next to another decent mp3 player at the same time?

I'm going to do a video of this Bold vs. P3 thing to show what I am talking about...also same video on iPod Touch vs. P3

I didn't pay much attention before because it was obviously way better than the Q2 at video (though still not as bright) and appeared decently bright during most of Wanted, Transformers, etc. But I think comparing it to a phone and the iPod shows it's not really worth the $200 since a lot of that money is for the screen size/quality.

It is very, very good for music but so is the Q2 for almost half the price.

Last edited by Danjojo; 05-15-2009 at 04:51 AM.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:48 AM

The BB Bold is a 2.5" screen also though right?

I have the curve and hate it...music is ok but I have had problems with video in the past.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:56 AM

http://www.pocketables.net/2009/03/a...amsung-p3.html

There is a pic of the screens there ^...S9, P3 and touch.

There was a video showing all 3 also but I can't find it now. Yes the P3 is darker but from what I understand it's also less washed out than the touch...and the S9 kills both.

From what I have read anyway...

Old 05-15-2009, 10:10 AM

I don't have a mobile phone with bi screen, i got both PSP (4.3") and P3 and just finished Sarah Conor Chronicle S1 via P3 due to its during lunch......leave PSP at home due to mobility issue.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:52 AM

Man, you picked a series that's likely not being renewed for the fall.

Try Fringe! It's killer!

Old 05-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Just an update on the Blackberry front. My BB Storm looks fantastic for video, better than my iPod Touch, but the S9 toasts them BOTH!!!! The Bold screen is still fantastic though, but I'm a bit surprised that the P3 got dusted by it. Could it be because of the Bold's smaller size (pixel density)?

Old 05-15-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Could it be because of the Bold's smaller size (pixel density)?
I was thinking the same thing.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:01 PM

On an 8 hour train ride I watched two episodes of Futurama, an episode of Systm and watched the movie V For Vendetta. Its hardly a home cinema, but I found the experience to be perfectly enjoyable.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahaha View Post
Most the reviews for the P7 have not been real good.
My experience differs. It's not easily pocketed, but then this thread is about movie playing/watching and it does that better then any other device I've got. It's also at a great price for what you get.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
My experience differs. It's not easily pocketed, but then this thread is about movie playing/watching and it does that better then any other device I've got. It's also at a great price for what you get.
Hows the sound though? I read in a review yesterday once you use a good headset you can tell it's SQ isn't real good. true?

Give me your pros and cons...

Old 05-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Banned

Don't get a P7 over a P3.. I had a good look at a P7 the other week and just didn't like it. Hard to put my finger on exactly why, but the same mp3 files with the same headphones didn't come close to the SQ I get with the P3. I can't speak for it's video quality, though.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:00 PM

There has to be some portability issues with the P7 right? Cause in photos it looks huge! The p3 is very sleek and portable, not like a tablet. But still, I doubt too many would find the screen too small.