android
Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 PM

Default Handling Audiobooks.

Ok I have been going absolutely nuts trying to find an mp3/video player. I think the O2 might be the one though.

What I would like to find out is if I make a playlist of a bunch of mp3 audio books and start listening to said playlist, will the playlist or file show up in the "recent files" list after I listen to some thing else or restart the player?

If it does show up there and I start playing it (the mp3 or playlist) it does resume from where I left off correct?

Also once I reach the end of that portion of the file I selected from the "recent files" does it continue on with the playlist?

Thanks to every one who checks this and gives me some info.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-23-2009, 11:46 AM

I can answer some of this. I don't like playlists and I don't use them so that part I can't help with. As for resuming, when you turn the player on and go to the recent list and select something you're in the middle of, it begins where you left off last time. You even see on the recent list how far you are into it.

I use a program called MP3 Merger (freeware, google it) to merge all the files in the book I'm listening to into a single file, or a couple of files, depending on the length of the book. I'll usually put up to 10 or 12 hours in a file. For that reason, playlists aren't useful to me.

The recent list contains everything you've listened to or watched and haven't finished. It lets you resume them easily. You can easily delete things from the recent list or delete the entire list if you want to. It's a nice arrangement.

I have a number of players and I don't use the O2 for audiobooks. I like a smaller player for audiobooks; one that fits in my shirt pocket without being noticable. I generally use a Cowon D2 or a Sansa Fuze or a Sansa Clip or Creative Zen or Creative Mosaic for audiobook listening. I have a Clip with a few audiobooks in my shirt pocket as I type this.

I did listen to a couple of books on the O2 just to see how it was but it's a bit big for that. I have to go find it to listen. The Clip and other small players just live in my pocket ready to go. I mainly use the O2 for videos. I'm retired and I watch a lot of TV shows and movies on it without having to sit in front of a TV or computer. I don't even have a TV.

Barry

Old 05-23-2009, 12:54 PM

Yeah, Barryem. I agree. It is much better for Videos and TV shows.

This still does not deter me from using it for everything. The best plus feature I enjoy with the O2 is the recent files list. It is a separate file listing, and from what I understand it may only show the last 25 files you've played.

I mostly use audiobooks/podcasts, but 50% movies/videos and occasional music. This recent file list is just awesome for all the media I play. Just wonderful. I don't know of other players that autobookmark video files. Another good thing about the O2 is the slider bar. Most other tactile button players make you have to FF or REW using buttons. With the O2, you just slide the bar to where you left off, if you didn't use the recent file list.

Overall, it is a much better player than some give it credit for, or for that matter even Cowon themselves. They don't market the player like the D2, and therefore, it suffers from being a relatively unknown player in the Apple iPod market. Even though it blows away the video portion of the iPod. The iPod does have applications that make it more popular.

If the O2 was marketed better, and more people would get in on the game, we probably would see more applications, and probably better firmware. The firmware does need some updating - MP4/H264 formats/encoders could use improvements, skinning the player would be awesome, but the fonts are locked into the core, and is currently untouchable.

I would like to see a dark skinned O2 with lighter text. Also better file management from the OS of the player, too. Really limited in the features, but overally no real complaints. Just ease of use concerns, really.
Sandisk Sansa e280R - v1.0 + 2 ea (2 GB MicroSDHC)
Creative Zen Nano Plus (1GB)

Old 05-24-2009, 05:57 PM

I agree that the O2 is seriously under-rated. It's an excellent player. And I think it would be an excellent audiobook player as well. I don't use it for that because it's too large to leave in my shirt pocket all day and I want my book to be ready whenever and wherever I happen to be.

What we need is a seriously shrunk O2 the size of a Sansa Clip, but with the same screen size it has now, of course.

Barry

Old 09-07-2009, 11:19 PM

Default Audio Books on O2

I can budge for that O2 is excellent for audio books.
The only issue I guess is that its no real option for audio books on the menu and they are not recognized as music files (what I've seen so far)

To play an audio book you need to use the file browser - I have created a separate Audio Book root folder where I create a new subfolder for each author. Then I put each complete book for the author on question in its own sub folder named "the book name"

Easy to find and each file will be played in sequence.

The last audio file will appear in the "Recent" list so its really easy to pick up from where you finished off.

It would be really nice to have the ability to add custom icons for items (such as Audio books - that really don't fall into the "normal" music category) to the slide top menu and then somehow be able to associate a directory to the type in question.

cheers