android
Old 05-16-2009, 03:59 PM

Default Is going from a ZEN to a A720 series a good idea??

I have two players a S9 and a ZEN. I like to keep a tactile and a touch based mp3 players for separate occasions.

I like the A720 because its tactile and has a nice screen but ZEN is also quite useful in those aspects. Is it really worth while to get the A720 series or will it basically be the same as ZEN.

Also i already have several Divx 5 clips for the ZEN will they play with the A720??

EDIT:- I am thinking of upgrading because 4gb's just does not cut it anymore 8gb/16gb is needed and as the ZEN XFi does not seem that good an upgrade to me from the ZEN.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-19-2009, 09:13 PM

I have a Zen 4GB and just got my Sony A729 today.

The Zen crashes a lot. It's a good player, great format, and has that great button you can assign (mine is set to 'random play all'). It also starts playing directly when you turn it on which I am loving.

The A729 has an instant turn on button (quite impressive at first and quite handy though I do prefer waiting 4 seconds and have the play start right away...), a better screen, very good bundled ear-phones, and overall it just has a better feel to it.

The Zen is quite solid though... I just wish I'd protected the screen as it scratches easily. But otherwise it's been decent. Just the crashes get very annoying. The SD slot is handy BUT the music in it doesn't get integrated. Meh. Quite handy to put some movies on if you're flying though!

I think it's a worthy upgrade. Then you can keep the Zen as an MP3 only backup while you use the A720 everyday.

No clue about the DivX5 clips sorry... I'm just trying to convert a file right now into what I believe is the right format, we'll see in later. But that's all I've got so far.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the pointer. I tried a A726 "Asian version of A72x"

Its box had MP4 Simple Profile / Bit rate Up to 2,500 kbps written on it. But sadlly its amp power is notting more or less than the ZEN. My EX85 get driven in a similar way by both the odd thing is there was a Ipod nano 8gb there and it was loud i mean louder than both my ZEN or the A726.

Also to who is interested the A72x cant play anything except MP4 or MP4 AVC. No WMV or Divx or Xvid sorry.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:09 PM

I use handbrake to convert videos. It takes about 45 minutes and works great with the ipod settings, just changing one little bit (under the advanced tab, Frame:30 becomes frame:13 I think). Video quality is better than on the Zen.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Audio quality is way better on the Sony, thought the volume isn't massive (as stated). I've had a few new Sony players, and I had a Zen 32gb, the Sony players are superior. The audio is crystal clear, while the Zen sounds muddy & distorted (if you use ANY eq settings). The eq is fantastic on the Sony players, but the aoudo is still perfect without using any enhancements at all.

The UI and the screen quality are great on the Zen though, but the lack of sd card integration pissed me off. I really wanted to like the Zen, but it was a finicky beast.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:46 PM

I would say the same about the Zen. I can really notice the sound on the Sony as much better. The Zen also constantly freezes and bugs. It's quite annoying. The Sony is so far bug free, I've not had to charge it for a week, sounds incredible and I got it for about the same price as a Zen 8GB...And the Sony's 16GB. I really do feel I upgraded, not just went sideways.