android
Old 05-17-2009, 08:55 AM

Default Separating podcasts from music

Hey everyone, I listen to podcasts a fair amount and my S9 is excellent for them. However I want to know if there is any way to separate podcasts and my regular music. I do tag their genre as "Podcast" and keep them all under their own folder, but that doesn't solve the problem.

Say I want to listen to all of my music on random. I get my podcasts in the selection too, which isn't great. They also turn up in the cover matrix. Is there any way to stop this?

I also don't use Podcast Ready (I've been using Juice) so would it make a difference if I started using it?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-19-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravepower View Post
I do tag their genre as "Podcast" and keep them all under their own folder, but that doesn't solve the problem.
It sounds like your podcast folder is a subfolder located within the "Music" folder.

I'm a podcast junky! So I need to separate them from my music. I've named a folder "Podcasts." Within this folder I have several folders representing over 20 podcast shows. So when I want to download the latest "Democracy Now" podcast, I download it directly to the folder I've named "Democracy Now."

Within "Folders" I also have a folder named "Music". I usually listen to music on random; but, it's only music that I'm listening to because it's in the music folder. I listen to my podcasts randomly also, and again, it's ONLY podcasts that I'm listening to because they're in a separate folder labeled "Podcasts."

After you create a separate folder for your podcasts just make sure that you're always browsing while in "Folder" mode--NOT "Library" mode.

I've attached a picture of my root folder. Does this make sense?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic.JPG (53.9 KB, 77 views)

Creative MuVo TX FM | MPIO One | Sansa Clip | iAudio 6 | Cowon D2 (2) | S9 | J3

Last edited by Mp3UndergroundFan; 05-19-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:48 PM

This bugs me as well . A lot of the time I end up simply going to songs and clicking on one (effectively play-all), but it adds my podcasts which are in the root folder "podcasts" rather than inside the music folder.

Browsing by folder works but it's a bit of an annoying work around, however that's the only way I can get them to not be added.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll move my podcasts folder to the root folder. Yes, my issue is that when playing all music (by using the "Songs" option or using the "All" setting, for example), podcasts and audiobooks get added to the selection.

If there was a way to play all songs within just the Music folder then that would be the best solution.

Funny, I have a Relaxation folder in my root folder too. I thought you'd somehow taken a screenshot of my S9's directory for a moment!

Old 07-15-2009, 02:46 PM

Default Podcasts

"Yes, my issue is that when playing all music (by using the "Songs" option or using the "All" setting, for example), podcasts and audiobooks get added to the selection"

I was hoping a firmware update would have solved this issue. Podcasts, audiobooks and music should be separate.

There are many "solutions" floating around, but these solutions simply skirt the issue or require the user to do some fancy maneuvering. Simply put, they do not provide a solid, simple solution for the average user that wants to just drop and drag files into the folders that currently exist.

If I have overlooked a forum that has addressed this, please point me in the right direction.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:49 PM

I'm putting my music in the "music" folder and my audiobooks in the "audiobooks" folder... they don't mix since I use file/folder browsing.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I'm putting my music in the "music" folder and my audiobooks in the "audiobooks" folder... they don't mix since I use file/folder browsing.
So you've created a separate audiobook folder? I have a number of audio books so I'll do the same then, same w/some podcasts as well (in their own folder, of course).

Old 07-15-2009, 04:17 PM

Yeah, just another folder on the root of the S9. It doesn't mix for my needs.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Yeah, just another folder on the root of the S9. It doesn't mix for my needs.
Thanks dfkt (and Mp3UndergroundFan as well), now you've answered a question I had for a bit. I didn't know how to go about it, problem solved!!!

Old 07-16-2009, 07:10 AM

Default podcasts

Using the separate folders is a viable option, but i would rather scroll through my music list using the tags and not the file names as the file names are different most of the time.

I may have to resort to this method, however, if the next firmware update does not address this issue.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Seems to me they should come up with a way to list genres, then let you deselect any you don't want to play through. The practicality would extend far beyond podcasts as well. For example: Some days I just don't want to hear any country, but everything else would be OK.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Seems to me they should come up with a way to list genres, then let you deselect any you don't want to play through. The practicality would extend far beyond podcasts as well. For example: Some days I just don't want to hear any country, but everything else would be OK.
Show me ANY player that can do that and I'll be amazed, especially since there's nothing on the market capable of such a thing (FW wise). It could be done, but that's a weird 1.

Personally, I do think a "Podcast" menu item needs to be added to the menu though, and by Cowon's FW coders, NOT by Claws UCI.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Personally, I do think a "Podcast" menu item needs to be added to the menu though, and by Cowon's FW coders, NOT by Claws UCI.
I agree. This is an issue Cowon should address. Videos, pictures, audiobooks podcasts, radio are all separate entities and should, therefore, be treated as such.

The separate folder for podcasts already exists. It simply needs to be implemented and taken just a few steps further.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:11 AM

Have to agree with this post. It's the only major drawback of the S9 in my opinion (so much so that I registered after a long time reading these forums just to agree )

When I select "songs" it's counter-intuitive that other things get included. I don't want to use folder view as I like shuffling around my music collection. Seems such a minor thing to correct that I'm very surprised that Cowon haven't already implementated it.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:36 AM

Interesting thread. This is one thing that's made me a little reluctant about the S9, since I listen to a lot of podcasts. The folder thing would be an acceptable workaround, I suppose. Sometimes, though, podcasts can be pretty long, and I'll want to listen to part of one, then some music, then the rest of the podcast. Does the S9 have audio bookmarking?

Old 07-24-2009, 02:10 AM

Default podcast anxiety

For those of us that listen to podcasts regularly, the separation flaw seems paramount.

That being said, the s9 positives far outweigh this issue.
I highly recommend the S9 if it is a player that you are considering.
I have had no regrets or second thoughts since purchasing mine.

I am still hopeful that a solution comes soon.

Yes, the S9 has bookmarks and implements bookmarks nicely.

Last edited by elecpharm; 07-24-2009 at 02:18 AM. Reason: another thought

Old 07-24-2009, 05:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. S View Post
Interesting thread. This is one thing that's made me a little reluctant about the S9, since I listen to a lot of podcasts. The folder thing would be an acceptable workaround, I suppose. Sometimes, though, podcasts can be pretty long, and I'll want to listen to part of one, then some music, then the rest of the podcast. Does the S9 have audio bookmarking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by elecpharm View Post
For those of us that listen to podcasts regularly, the separation flaw seems paramount.

That being said, the s9 positives far outweigh this issue.
I highly recommend the S9 if it is a player that you are considering.
I have had no regrets or second thoughts since purchasing mine.

I am still hopeful that a solution comes soon.

Yes, the S9 has bookmarks and implements bookmarks nicely.
X2 - it's great.

Tags
audiobook, cowon s9, id3, organization, podcast