android
Old 05-18-2009, 03:41 AM

Not just iPods and P3's....but you get the point. I have a crappy YouTube video up showing YouTube videos playing on the P3 using this method. Look up the channel - dannysees. Also a thread on these forums in the P3 section called Little Video

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-18-2009, 04:12 AM

Errm, if I'm not mistaken, the P3 plays FLACs & OGGs - it doesn't display album art for oggs... does it play AAC? I didn't think it did...

Old 05-18-2009, 07:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I guess Samsung has yet to get their specifications in sync. The U.S. web site lists supported filetypes as: MP3, WMA, OGG, WAV, AAC, FLAC, JPEG, Bitmap, PNG, SWF, WMV, H.264, MPEG.

Their user manual doesn't list OGG or FLAC. I suspect those (late?) additions are to compete better with the Cowon S9. It seems to be a leapfrog game between the two players.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
I guess Samsung has yet to get their specifications in sync. The U.S. web site lists supported filetypes as: MP3, WMA, OGG, WAV, AAC, FLAC, JPEG, Bitmap, PNG, SWF, WMV, H.264, MPEG.

Their user manual doesn't list OGG or FLAC. I suspect those (late?) additions are to compete better with the Cowon S9. It seems to be a leapfrog game between the two players.
Mine played FLAC and Ogg out the box - it didn't need an upgrade.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:48 AM

[QUOTE=Danjojo;356988] Fenida, I returned my P3 just recently and I'm going to try out the S9 to see how it is in a few months. Bluetooth phone-pairing, immaculate FM radio reception, build-quality, etc. is P3's strong suite. I think in the end when you spit out $200 you deserve a better screen and video experience. QUOTE]

Huh...the cnet review said it was "one of the best screens she has ever seen on a portable video player".

I know the S9's screen is a bit better but I was under the impression the P3 had good video quality.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
Mine played FLAC and Ogg out the box - it didn't need an upgrade.
I had to find some flac files to test, and am still on the search for a free OGG convertor, but yes my P3 plays FLAC files. So does the S9. This is with 2.10 EU firmware.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:29 AM

How usable is the P3 without looking? I know there are volume control buttons but how easy is it to skip tracks without looking as in while running? I use my DAP about 50% of the time while running and the other 50% when I can look at the screen. Should I be looking elswhere? Is the S9 any better or worse?

Old 05-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunn782 View Post
How usable is the P3 without looking? I know there are volume control buttons but how easy is it to skip tracks without looking as in while running? I use my DAP about 50% of the time while running and the other 50% when I can look at the screen. Should I be looking elswhere? Is the S9 any better or worse?
Not particularly usable- it lacks skip track buttons.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:29 AM

yup, not particularly useful.. but I love the screen for video's. I am in the process of running a battery test, videos encoded in higher than 480x272 in divx/xvid seem to drain the battery much faster..

Old 05-18-2009, 11:20 AM

Well I can definitely verify it plays flacs, oggs and wmas.
Blind control is limited to volume, its easy enough to skip tracks by unlocking the screen and swiping the bottom panel (assuming you left your player on the 'now playing' screen) without looking

Old 05-18-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjrock View Post
Well I can definitely verify it plays flacs, oggs and wmas.
Blind control is limited to volume, its easy enough to skip tracks by unlocking the screen and swiping the bottom panel (assuming you left your player on the 'now playing' screen) without looking
That would be ok I think. I don't really need a lot of functionality for blind operation. If I can control volume (buttons) and if it is doable to say skip a track and maybe stop play without looking I think I can live with that. What is involved to lock or unlock a screen?

Old 05-18-2009, 12:49 PM

Danjojo,

This is from the review on this site...

"The 3” 480x272 pixel 16.7m color LCD has the same specifications as the P2’s and very well may be the exact same one. As far as a device goes, there is little to improve here: colors are accurate, the screen is bright, and clarity is very good. Now this may be as top-notch as far as LCDs go, but there are still other screens that are faster and have better contrast rations, such as the AMOLED screen on the Cowon S9. While the difference between the two is very apparent when placed side by side,the quality difference is not big enough to be a deal breaker. For instance, I have been carrying both the P3 and the S9 for the last few months and I never thought “I wish I was watching this video on the AMOLED screen of the S9 instead of the P3”."

To each his own ya know...

Old 05-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Banned

Enzo rated video on the P3 pretty highly as I recall.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:07 PM

If you go here :

http://www.journaldugeek.com/2009/02...ony-nwz-x1000/

you'll find a comparison between S9, Sony X series, iPod touch and P3.

The display on P3 doesn't look very bright there. iPod looks better.

But then again maybe it's not really comparing apple to apple, cause the pic on P3 is different from the others.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenida View Post
If you go here :

http://www.journaldugeek.com/2009/02...ony-nwz-x1000/

you'll find a comparison between S9, Sony X series, iPod touch and P3.

The display on P3 doesn't look very bright there. iPod looks better.

But then again maybe it's not really comparing apple to apple, cause the pic on P3 is different from the others.
Brighter is not always better. The brighter the more detail you lose…but then too dark is also bad. But that is one thing that drives me crazy…seeing a hdtv with brightness and contrast cranked up. Sure it’s bright but you miss a lot of detail that way.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunn782 View Post
That would be ok I think. I don't really need a lot of functionality for blind operation. If I can control volume (buttons) and if it is doable to say skip a track and maybe stop play without looking I think I can live with that. What is involved to lock or unlock a screen?
On top of the player, to the far left, is the power / lock button. You press quickly to lock / unlock - or hold it down for about 3 secs to switch the player on / off... Sounds weird but works fine.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:21 PM

This is the only YouTube I can find comparing P3 and S9 :

Is there anymore out there?
I'm very keen to see both compared side by side like this.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjojo View Post
I always downloaded straight from YouTube and throw right on the P3. Use Firefox add-on called DownloadHelper...takes any YouTube video in 20 seconds or less. Just drag and drop from the output folder of DownloadHelper to the Video folder of the P3.
But then again maybe I don't need to see anymore comparison. After learning that I can just simply drag & drop my YouTube download to P3, I think I'm pretty much sold on P3 than S9.

Wonder though, maybe I can also do the same with S9 ?

Old 05-19-2009, 06:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Wow!!! The sony X1000 series really has a nice screen:

Old 05-19-2009, 07:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The S9, touch, and P3 all have brighteness settings. I'll guess the Sony does to. I found between my S9 and P3 I could make them look nearly identical by tweaking the brightness setting. The S9 still had better color saturation and better black, but the differences you see in the photo above wouldn't have been there.