android
Old 05-17-2009, 08:26 PM

Default Bricked Sansa View 8GB - please help

I have formated the View via computer and seems like I erased the bootloader. I tried to put the player into recovery mode and copy the bootloader and firmware there, but it did not work. The firmware seemed to be applied, but the player still was stuck in Sansa boot-up screen. I then tried pressing the '<' key while booting up and it said "erasing data" or something like that and since then I do not even get a "Sansa" boot screen. Just black screeen and the blue ring is on. Windows detects an unknown device and can not find drivers for "Tango Digital Media Platform". I have no idea what to do next. I tried hooking it up to a Linux machine. That lists Sansa in Recovery mode on one of the USB ports, but I don't know how to transfer files to that. It seems to mot be mounted. Is there something like a e200tool for the View? Please help I am out of my wits on this.

Originally, I formated the player because I could not add any new music to it. In either mode. I put the latest firmware on it and it did not help. When using MSC mode the transfer occured and I could see the files, but when unplugged and trying to update the database the player crashed. In the other mode I got an error when trying to copy (drag and drop) files to the device.

I must say I have two iPods in addition to this player and have had exactly zero problems with those. I know, this is an iPod hating site, but the truth is iPods seem to just work for years (my olderst iPod is 3rd gen iPod and is working fine) and this player hasn't lasted a year before these seemingly software issues popped up.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-18-2009, 04:59 AM

Use the sansa updater app, since you messed up in some manner.

ipods do not have a format option avaiable on the device when the ipod still clearly works, it was set up this way to prevent events like yours from occuring. They limited it to an itunes function.

This site is not exactly an iPod hating site, we just look for options available to us not given to us in the limited feature set available on an ipod. That usually requires looking into brands outside of apple, as such is that apple was not the first in this market. There are plenty here that have an ipod.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikon000 View Post
Use the sansa updater app, since you messed up in some manner.
The problem with that solution is that the computer no longer recognizes the player, so updater does not see it either. The only sign of life I get from the player is that Windows asks for a driver (for Tango Digital Media Platform) and in Linux I see the player in one of the USB slots if I issue a "lsusb" command from a terminal window. I wish I knew a way to access the player and put the boot loader and firmware on there, but so far no joy.

I totally understand the whole disdain for Apple's proprietary designs, but let's face it, Apple stuff works very well. Also, it is an absolute fallacy that iPod can only work with iTunes. Just about any 3rd party app like Winamp has extensions to work with iPod. You can also move music from iPod to computer using these 3rd party apps. No problems there. I've done it. Apple certainly is not the first on the market with PMP, but they sure did something right. I think software development is still a big thing at Apple, but is a secondary consideration at SanDisk. My problem is with Software, not hardware. Any piece of software coming from SanDisk sucks. Look at video converter, their firmware, constant crashing, fast forward glitches, etc. I think Sansa View would be an awesome player if it had rock solid software on it. I love the FM receiver and I love the voice recorder. Those things are super features that no iPod has, but what use are they if the player crashes and burns in less than a year? My problem began spontaneousely without provocation. It just stopped accepting new content. This is when I started to play with settings, upgrading firmware, etc. If it kept on working the way it did before (glitches and all), I would be totally happy with it, but not being able to update content is a pretty serious problem, I would say. So, I will fight with it for a little more and if I can't fix it, I will probably go and buy an iPod nano and SanDisk will have lost a customer for ever (at that point I will not buy anything SanDisk just from sour feeling of losing over $100 on the Sansa View).

Old 05-18-2009, 03:09 PM

try it on another computer if you got one.

If it is still under warranty, get sandisk to service it. Your first DIY attempt resulted in making the situation worse.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikon000 View Post
try it on another computer if you got one.

If it is still under warranty, get sandisk to service it. Your first DIY attempt resulted in making the situation worse.
Another computer (XP/Linux dual boot vs. Vista) does the same thing in both Windows XP and Ubuntu, though on Ubuntu the player does show up when issuing "lsusb" command.

The player is not under warranty, unfortunately. Am I totally screwed? Is there no way to re-flash this thing? I know there is an e200tool recovery utility for e2xx players. Is there something similar for the View?

Tags
bricked