android
Old 06-15-2009, 04:54 PM

Just ordered P3-8GB from Dell for $149.99 + FREE shipping! Both Dell & Frys said the P3's are coming on-shore between 6/24-6/26.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-15-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat39 View Post
I thought I read somewhere that Apple has been buying the majority of the manufactured flash memory thus leaving others (like Samsung) high and dry.
But I thought Apple bought most of their flash memory FROM samsung.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:32 PM

Yeah, I got mine from Dell as well. I ordered it a week ago. On the 6th to be exact. (8gb silver version) Even paid for expedited shipping. Now that was a week ago mind you and mine was 169.99 + 17 something for faster shipping. I wonder why the price drop? The website said it was ready to ship when I placed my order. Lo and behold when I got my confirmation email it had been changed to the 26th. After calling and asking some questions come to find out it was not in stock and they had to order it from Samsung. So I ended up getting it on the 11th with full refund on shipping charges. Not bad after all. I'm happy. By the way they did say it would take up to six days for my refund.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoo View Post
But I thought Apple bought most of their flash memory FROM samsung.
Hmmm, no clue.

I can't even remember where I read the opinion that apple was buying up all the flash memory......

If apple is buying it from Samsung, then really there is no real excuse for the P3 to not be in existence.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:03 PM

I am thinking Samsung are not to worried about mp3 player sales and are concentrating on mobile phone sales. There is probably a lot more profit with mobile phones anyway.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:42 AM

oops did I say 8 GB, it was 16 GB + FREE shipping, for that I can wait another 10 days!

Old 06-16-2009, 04:02 PM

oh wait! so was mine. My bad.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:29 PM

The P3 is probably not available in the us because maybe Samsung is either going to release the R1 and the P3 around the same time or they are just going to release the R1 but maybe sooner.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
The P3 is probably not available in the us because maybe Samsung is either going to release the R1 and the P3 around the same time or they are just going to release the R1 but maybe sooner.
I don't think this answer is correct or even logical being that the P3 has already been released in north america. It's just not easily found, or was only available for a short time.

Sort of like how Nintendo Wii or certain Wii games have been. You have to nab them when you can if you are lucky to find it. If not you have to wait and wait and wait even though it's been released who knows how long ago.....

Old 06-16-2009, 10:28 PM

People in the US can get it from Dell and other online vendors, but what about the people in Canada (like me :P)? They were out in future shop about a month and a half ago...now they've disappeared! The worst thing is, we don't even get any online vendors!

Old 06-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm thinking the lack of P3s in stores is because the store buyers have come to the conclusion that most people want an iPod, and they don't even have to mark them down for sales. With no advertising support from Samsung (or any other Korean maker), the majority have never even heard of a P3. And despite it's lower prices than an iPod Touch any side-by-side demonstration of the two will sway buyers toward a Touch. The Touch has been out long enough for retailers to know it's risky to stock anything else with a touchscreen. The P3 also needs a store to assist in buying music. The Zune and Touch build it into the player, or you can use their desktop software. Emodio never had a store option for the U.S., and the store the countries could access was eventually closed.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleipnir View Post
People in the US can get it from Dell and other online vendors, but what about the people in Canada (like me :P)? They were out in future shop about a month and a half ago...now they've disappeared! The worst thing is, we don't even get any online vendors!
Actually everyone can use warehouse123 dot com. Then search for YP-P3 and you can order either the 8 or 16 gig models in either silver or black.

Not sure if the URL will work but here is the complete URL:
http://www.warehouse123.com/store/pr...yer-16GB-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
I'm thinking the lack of P3s in stores is because the store buyers have come to the conclusion that most people want an iPod, and they don't even have to mark them down for sales. With no advertising support from Samsung (or any other Korean maker), the majority have never even heard of a P3. And despite it's lower prices than an iPod Touch any side-by-side demonstration of the two will sway buyers toward a Touch. The Touch has been out long enough for retailers to know it's risky to stock anything else with a touchscreen. The P3 also needs a store to assist in buying music. The Zune and Touch build it into the player, or you can use their desktop software. Emodio never had a store option for the U.S., and the store the countries could access was eventually closed.
This sounds like the most likely culprit.

Even though it's interesting that all that have been sold to vendors in north america have sold right out. Not a single brick and mortar store has them in stock in USA or Canada from what I can see. And even a lot of online vendors can't seem to keep them in stock. So it's not like they aren't getting the sales.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

First come orders, then comes production. If early orders for the P3 were small, Samsung would have cut back production. So even if demand increased later, ramping up again would take time, thus the lack of availablilty from the manufacturer. Or maybe the P3 is so popular in Korea that all production is being consumed there.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:36 PM

The Fry's here carries them. If you can find one around where you live or a store similar you might be able to find one.

Well most people here in the states do not really care about audio quality, hence why so many buy iPods. The iPod is also easier to sync and all, most people are too computer illiterate to know how to use ID3 tags and how to set up the player for drag and drop. And all this is probably why the P3 would have a bigger market in Asia, other than the fact that Samsung is a Korean company.

Not only that, but ask most people here what Samsung makes and most will reply with cell phones, televisions and maybe monitors. Samsung does not advertise their Mp3 player line very strongly in the states.

Last edited by triarii117; 06-17-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:52 PM

Default 32GB

Has anyone found a 32GB one? I would prefer larger storage.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:17 PM

Hey Ghost,

Hate to tell you buddy, and knowing that us goofy Canuks gotta stick together, you won't be able to get a P3 from any of the main stream Canadian retailers. I've posted a thread along the same lines wondering why it's difficult to get a P3 even out of the states right now. At last check the only places I've been able to find them even in the US is B&H Photo, Dell USA, and warehouse123.com.

By the looks of things (after checking Bestbuy.ca and Futureshop's forums) the P3 was available at limited locations to start with (Minimal product in BC, nothing in AB, SK, or MN, and then limited supplies in ON and Que) and there was only about 50 available across stores (usually per store) (online stock was only rated at about 200 I think) and that was back in early April.

As for those (insert 6-8 profanities here) at both BestBuy Canada and Futureshop...as long as Steve Jobs and Bill Gates and their respective Ipod and Zune division keeps cramming Nano's and $100 bills up their butts, odds on bet we won't be see any other competition other than them any time soon. If you really want a P3 your only hope is Dell.ca (who knows when they'll get their mitts on them)

In the meantime I'd recommend your GF look at grabbing a Sony X-Series (It's about the best we'll be able to do since I don't even think we're going to get the Zune HD for another 2-3 years) It’s going to be released July 3/09 so you can grab it at sonystyles.ca right now for advanced release. Check it out, it’s pretty sweet or the Zune HD...but the interface looks strangely like Itunes and we'll be waiting till Christmas before it heads north of the border.

But all points considered, Oh Canada...yeah right, to electronics companies it's more like F*** Canada

Last edited by MojoPatrol; 06-18-2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Verified Sources

Old 06-17-2009, 10:04 PM

Why is it always Canada...

Old 06-18-2009, 12:24 PM

...BECAUSE! it's freaking hard to operate a touch screen MP3 players when we're wearing mittens all year round! Ha ha ha...I'm kidding.

Personally I think it's just because of a huge land area and a small popluation. Shipping costs and what not can get kinda crazy so basic economics says STFUCanada. Plus the response in Canada just might not have been good enough. Further to that, due to a majority market share by Senior Gates and Senior Jobs that makes it very difficult for other companies to crack the border per se. Combine that with less than desirable conditions for importers due to NAFTA and all those other great taxes you get to pay when you ship to Canada and things can get mighty hairy.

Last edited by MojoPatrol; 06-19-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: New information provided courtesy of TomCat39

Old 06-18-2009, 11:42 PM

Figuring that I would'nt see the 32GB P3 anytime soon, and being in a desperate mood for a new gadget to play with. I caved in and bought the 16GB P3 at Frys here in San Diego, CA.
My first reaction: "wow this is a tiny little thing!"

Old 06-19-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Bad View Post
Figuring that I would'nt see the 32GB P3 anytime soon, and being in a desperate mood for a new gadget to play with. I caved in and bought the 16GB P3 at Frys here in San Diego, CA.
My first reaction: "wow this is a tiny little thing!"
Ha ha ha, oh the need to for shiny toys, I hear ya. To clarify, Tiny in a positive OMG I'm glad I bought this kind of way? or tiny as in, man I wish the screen was bigger and I question this purchase kind of way? Ha ha ha, I only ask because I'm thinking of getting hold of some friends in the states and getting them to ship me one. I'm torn between the ability to have flash games to waste my time or just waiting for the Sony X-series and using the internet and YouTube functions to waste my time. So any sort of personal input to sway my choice would be positive.