android
Old 05-19-2009, 09:33 PM

Default What are your sound settings?

I just bought my P3 and would like to know what everyone uses for the sound settings, such as the different EQs and DNSe. If you use myDNSe, please share your specific settings such as the 3D level, bass, clarity, etc.

I would also like to know what settings you think are best for the biggest soundstage from the P3. I have a pair of IEMs on the way and would like to know how I can get the best performance from them.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-19-2009, 09:59 PM

Sent you that message earlier saying I usually liked Bass 1 and Clarity 1 and flat EQ...but the other times what I thought was best and seemed to blend the best qualities from Rock, R&B, and Ballad (best presets) all together was -

4 - 3 - 1 - 4 - 4 - 2 - 3

Sounds great with every genre I think...and don't even need the Bass 1 after that.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:02 PM
Banned

Flat EQ Bass1 Clarity1 .Everything else disabled

Old 05-19-2009, 10:07 PM

I think the graphic equalizer is going to be more depending on your headphones and taste though...Bass 1 and Clarity 1 seem to be universally approved. Clarity 1 especially - makes it go from really good to really, really good.

For Audio Upscaler though...never makes a difference to me on P3 or Q2, but I know it uses up more battery.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:16 PM

Sorry about that Danjojo, I hadn't read it until just now.

At the moment I don't have anything too spectacular to listen to the P3 on, but may I ask why Clarity 1 and not go all the way with 2?

And what are your opinions on Cafe, Concert and Church? They sound quite different from the other preset EQs

Old 05-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Banned

Clarity and Bass are the only sound enhancements worth anything imo.. The rest of them 3D, Concert Hall, whatever, I never use.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:24 PM

Ditto what Dreamnine says...

I really don't like anything that adds any echo quality to the sound. Maybe the others do ever so slightly but I don't notice it so it's not enough to show up...perhaps if people use some crazy $400 headphones it happens.

To me Clarity 1 does what I would want 3D to do anyway...when I tried Clarity 1 it made me feel like I was in a nightclub 30-40ft away from the band, hearing it live.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjojo View Post
Ditto what Dreamnine says...

I really don't like anything that adds any echo quality to the sound. Maybe the others do ever so slightly but I don't notice it so it's not enough to show up...perhaps if people use some crazy $400 headphones it happens.

To me Clarity 1 does what I would want 3D to do anyway...when I tried Clarity 1 it made me feel like I was in a nightclub 30-40ft away from the band, hearing it live.
May I ask what headphones you use? I have a pair of Sennheiser IE7s on the way, and those are kind of pricey. Maybe I will give impressions on how they make the different settings on the P3 sound after I get them and maybe burn them in.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:41 PM

Only been using $29 Sony mdr-ex36v's but have others in the house. When I first set the graphic eq settings I used some old school Sony headphones that were around $80-100 back in the 90's.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:11 PM

all flat + DNSe sound enhancement ONLY.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:41 PM

I have myDNSe set at 0/2/1/-1/0/2/2 Clarity 2 and Bass 1. Im hoping people dont think this is a stupid set up.lol. i just think it sounds so much better than a flat EQ. Just sounds deeper, clearer and richer to me. I use senn hd485, mx90 and cx350. Sounds great with all of them.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:00 AM

It really depends on your headphones. For my SoundMagic PL12s I just use Clarity set to One, the rest blank.
For my KSC75s I use the EQ set (left to right) 2 - 1 - 0 - negative 1 - 0 - 1 - 2 and bass boost on two.
For my Phonaks its the same as the KSC75s except bass boost is on one.

Or sometimes I just go el-naturale with my Fiio - they all sound pretty good, but DSNe Clarity enhancement doesn't quite hold up with seriously high-end headphones, IMHO...

Old 05-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Banned

The 3 DnSE presets are handy for different phones or music.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:06 AM

does anyone use street mode??

Old 05-21-2009, 02:17 AM

Never used it for more than a couple minutes...do you like it?

It seemed like from what I read is that it's function it to increase the volume of background sounds. I kinda got a sense of that but either way, it's not something I would want to do to a song anyway.

3D seemed kinda funky too.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:20 AM

Hey guys, I'm wondering what the Playlist DNSe setting is under Sound Effects?

Old 06-19-2009, 09:37 AM

3D and Bass on 3
Clarity on 1
as for EQ
10 9 6 6 5 6 4
All on the + side of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
Flat EQ Bass1 Clarity1 .Everything else disabled

That actually sounds pretty good.

Also, out of curiosity, what do most of you set the main EQ found under settings>sound at?

Old 06-19-2009, 09:52 AM

I use street mode when at work or when picnicking at the park because of all the ambient noise around. I work in a warehouse.

It tends to boost the vocals a bit as far as I can tell. Helps to actually hear the song when in a noisy environment.

Also this is when being paired with bluetooth speakers so don't have the benefits of noise reduction of IEM's.

Also, I use a bell curve setup on the EQ being that both high and low frequency fall off much faster and sooner than the mid range frequencies. So when standing 20 feet away on a flat EQ you hear mostly mid range and very little bass and highhat/cymbals. So my EQ usually sits around +3 +2 +1 0 +3 +5 +7. This pushes the lows and the highs to travel as far as the mid range does. So even when stepping away from the sound source, you get full sound reaching your ears.

And since I use mp3's I use the upscaler and notice better highhats and cymbals.

I also use clarity 2 and bass 3 or 4 when in the noisy environments to help out the low and highs as much as possible.

When using IEM's I drop the bass setting to 2 or 1.

Hall is only good if you want to sound like you are in a huge auditorium like concert. Reminds me of some shows I've gone to see and it has that resonatey sound to it. Rarely used.

3D is good if you are in a quiet place to enjoy the expanded stereo effects. Very nice on closely set speakers (1 piece stereo speakers). Makes it feel more like regular seperated stereo speakers that are well placed.

I hope this helps.

Ciao

Addendum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Bad View Post
Hey guys, I'm wondering what the Playlist DNSe setting is under Sound Effects?
If this is the one that has on/off as the option, it tells the player to use the playlist DNSe that was attached with the playlist if you use emodio. In emodio you can do DNSe settings, name them and then attach them to playlists you create in emodio.

Essentially, you can have different DNSe settings for each playlist and it will use the ones associated to the playlist if you put that setting to "on"

Last edited by TomCat39; 06-20-2009 at 10:49 AM.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:07 AM

Also, out of curiosity, what do most of you set the main EQ found under settings>sound at?[/QUOTE]

I just leave it be!

Old 06-19-2009, 11:24 AM

Ah ok, I set it to flat, but on the +1 or +2.