android
Old 05-21-2009, 04:26 PM

Unhappy P3 is Plastic!

OK - so all the reviews tell us the P3 is a brushed metal case. Samsung would like you to believe that, but truth told, it is plastic with a brushed metal foil sticker on the back. I never noticed this before. I unfortunately discovered it is plastic as my poor P3 fell to the concrete and the corner chipped (P.S. screen is fine and still works like a charm - so it can still be considered a tank somewhat). The front surround, back cover and the chromed trim are all plastic. Very nice quality plastic, but plastic...

I still like my P3, but if one of your decisions to buy it is because it is a metal case, then here's your info to debunk it. And if this was your only reason you wouldn't buy it - well you're a little confused as to why you'd buy this fantastic player anyhow .

T~

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Banned

Ok.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:30 PM

Being plastic probably protected the insides better...things that don't have give to them are really hard on the insides when there is an impact, unless there is cushion and padding in there.

Only thing I didn't like about the body is that the back actually gets scratches fairly easy, not like an iPod Touch but still pretty damn easy, more so than....plastic.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Of course. The P3 sells for less than the P2 does right now. They had to cut costs but fool the reviewers into thinking it was a quality build. The P2 is actually stainless steel, but reviewers thought it was plastic and dished it for that reason.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:38 PM

That explains why the player is such a light weight. All metal would push its weight to over 100 grams.

Also, if it was all metal I think it would have got in the way of bluetooth functionality.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

oh what...that's BS, if they're gonna take the trouble to paint it metal, might as well make it out of metal!

i just think that metal feels much more reliable than plastic, no matter how strong the plastic might be...

Old 05-22-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouswonderer View Post
oh what...that's BS, if they're gonna take the trouble to paint it metal, might as well make it out of metal!

i just think that metal feels much more reliable than plastic, no matter how strong the plastic might be...
Though I cant say whether it's metal or plastic, I wouldn't be surprised it was just a layer of metal foil over a plastic layer. And people thinking its metal will give us the age old placebo affect; because people think its made of nice materials they'll believe it is a harder/better/faster/stronger device, even if the better materials are all part of a complex lie. And anyway, a tuff-luv silicon case is like 10, so spend the money you saved instead of buying an s9 or itouch on that and enjoy that touch screen which we know for a fact is made of glass!

Sorry for pun, was listening to daft punk, and as I wrote better/stronger I couldn't resist doing the whole thing

Old 05-22-2009, 04:53 AM

I've just done a tapping the P3 on my teeth test (to the great amusment of my fellow workers) and my feeling is that the back and sides ARE metal and not stick on foil stuff.

On the back, it does look like it could have a brushed metal looking sticker as it is slightly raised from the rest of the case. But if it is then it is still stuck onto metal. Maybe it is there for re-enforced protection.

However the front bit that holds the screen is plastic.

Paul

Last edited by FoxUk; 05-22-2009 at 05:00 AM.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:57 AM

gebal - you seen the daft hands video on youtube? It's pretty cool...

P3 is durable regardless...I've watched it and the Q2 go through some strong abuse from my babies. Seems like the Samsung company is tough on build quality QA.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjojo View Post
gebal - you seen the daft hands video on youtube? It's pretty cool...
Sure have, and the one with the dancing girls with boxes on their head too

Back to the topic, if there's any company I know will have give me products that are well put together, it's samsung. So if they do happen to have a plastic back on the p3, I dont loose any trust in the structural integrity of the device, and from the quick play I had at argos with one it seems to me that the build quality is great, so there is really nothing to worry about

Old 05-22-2009, 07:16 AM

no, Im pretty sure its metal... I agree with circuswonderer...

Old 05-22-2009, 10:38 AM

Good stuff, never seen the daft bodies one...put the daft hands on my wife's iPod and she never gets tired of it.

Someone should sacrifice their P3 on video to reveal the truth about it flat out.

I never thought the one I used to have was plastic covered with a very thin sheet of metal. I always take new devices and twist on them, tap hard on the backs and sides, shake the crap out of them, etc. Either way we all know there are plastic compounds out there that are better than most common crappy steel-alloys, especially aluminum.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:43 AM

Default I will try to get some good photos...

As I said in my original post, I dropped my P3 and chipped the lower corner. If it were metal, it would have most likely dented (though I know metal is capable of chipping, but not as common). It scuffed the chrome off the plastic trim too to show a white plastic beneath. I'm not implying that the P3 is any less of a product for it. It is still a solid piece of work. The glass held up and all seem to still be functioning fine.

I will try to post some photos early next week, as I'm out of town for the US holiday.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:00 PM

got in before me, I was about to ask for pictures
I still stand by my point that it's probably a good idea to buy a case anyway, and the sort of people who want a player for the material its made of will be...
1)To protective and caring for their product to let it be dropped
2)to clumsy, so will invest in a player that looks tougher
3)In an environment where having a case would be a given anyway

though try and get the pics up soon, will be interesting to see what you mean

Old 05-22-2009, 01:02 PM

From what I've read here so far, I can infer that the case of the P3 is metal but with a plastic layer on top followed by a metal coating.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:00 PM

Samsung's official description is "solid metal finish", which is nothing if not ambiguous.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Editor

From my review:
Quote:
However, like its predecessor, the P3 is housed in an aluminum backing with a plastic face, but I will note that black plastic material they used on the face of the player blends extremely well with the aluminum back.
The top half is plastic the back is indeed metal with another layer of metal veneer to prevent scratching.
Quote:
One of the issues with the P2 was that this metal back was painted and often times scratched. The metal backing on the P3 is painted too, but they solved the scratching problem by adding a brushed aluminum veneer so finger prints and scratches are no longer an issue. This is one of the many examples where Samsung clearly learns from its experience.
trust me its metal...

Old 05-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Too bad it's aluminum. No way to test with a magnet.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Banned

Mine still hasn't a scratch in almost 3 months use. I abuse my Clip all the time, including dropping it in a cup of coffee once.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:02 PM

Regular or decaf?