android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Sony Walkman > Walkman A Series

Old 05-24-2009, 04:49 PM

Default A729 review, or how to chose an MP3 player...

Well it's been a few days now... But I finally now have an MP3 player worthy of the name!

I'm an avid user but not what you'd call an Audiophile. I keep that for my guitar gear . My headphones are Sennheiser PMX200 and I do not ever plan on spending more than 50 on ear/headphons unless I had the guarantee that they'd last me around 4 lifetimes, I could pass it on to my great-grandchildren and they'd cook me breakfast.
So far I've used:
Zen Stone 1GB (still works, I guess I'll use it as backup)
Samsung K3 (headphone jack broke after 6 months, nothing I could do, it was just after the warrantee wore out)
Creative Zen 4GB (replaced the Samsung)
And now the Sony A729

Now I've had the Zen since around December 2008. There are a few reasons why I wanted to replace it.
1) I love MP3 players and new gadgets
2) the player has a lot of bugs, crashes constantly and has other quirks, for instance, the card contents don't get integrated with the library. It should at least be a possibility (as some may prefer to not have it)

But
1) it's a fun wee thing
2) I can watch videos
3) it's VERY well suited to my needs which are player in pocket, put all tracks on random and just fast forward/backwards on tracks

So I wanted to keep those things which made the Zen fun, but in a bug free, and if possible with a better screen, player.
I set myself a budget (around 150), a clear list of what I wanted and off I went shopping, i.e. I just surfed Cnet, ABI, Amazon.co.uk and ebay

I came up with a few choices... D2, Clix2, Lplayer, iPod Nano, Sony S730, S630, E430, A730/830, Samsung Q1 and P3... But then I realised 150 was way too optimistic. Doh. So most of these went out of my shortlist and I restricted myself to 100.

So the Sonys were top choice... The A828 had bluetooth and was in my price range, but the 729 was cheaper. Both S7/6 were too expensive, and well, I could afford the A series so the E was out. Then on ebay I saw the A729 for a lowly 70 including shipping and just got it. Why? It's almost half the price of an iPod Nano. It was cheaper than the Samsung Q1, cheaper than the Cowon iAudio 7, cheaper than most 8GB Sonys... great deal!

FOR THE ACTUAL REVIEW START READING HERE!

I've had it for about a little less than a week now and here's what I got so far...

Player/interface
The player looks great. It's small enough to fit in any pockets and the headphone jack is well placed at the bottom, close to the buttons (so I place it upside down in the pocket and the jack is pointing up, and I can reach the controls easily).
The interface is brilliant. Easy to use, not particularly intuitive or 'fun', but it works, and it's quick. I've had no bugs anywhere so far. Just incredibly functional.
The instant on feature is quite impressive! But I do miss a 'random play' button like I have on the Zen. When I turn on an MP3 player, 99% of the time I'd want it to play all my songs in a totally random order. I don't do anything else with them. On the A7 I need to access the library manually and start from the first I want... It's not that annoying. But it's not perfect
However it redeems itself on the browsing: the Zen had an alphabet to the right of the song list, but you used the same controls to scroll through letters as you would use to scroll through songs. On the Sony, left/right select letters, up and down the songs. It's just one of those wee things that make you pretty happy The physical details AND firmware have clearly been well thought out.
I add all my songs to it by using it as an external drive. Not had any issue so far.
Battery life appears excellent so far but I've not been able to fully experience it yet. I've only had it for 5 days and the battery bar is still on full though.
Oh... one thing... it does take a little while to re-build the library when you plug it into the PC and add/delete anything. It's not that annoying, but it's just there.

Sound:
Well unfortunately I can't say much on this... I've been using cheap headphones so far because 1) you can't find expensive ones in the stores I've had access too and 2) well, I'm an incomeless student . So my Sennheiser PMX200 have served me since this summer and so far done a good deal of it.
However I will tell you this: there IS a noticeable increase in sound quality from the Zen to the Sony. And since the Sony is 4 times the capacity, and was the same price as I paid the Zen 5 months ago...

So all in all, music wise I'm pretty happy. All I wish was that I had a way of directly, from the front menu or as a seperate key, start randomly play all songs at a random starting point. But that's entirely specific to MY tastes and so I won't hold it against them.

Video:
Well that's where the issues starting arising... You need to pay to be able to convert your videos the right format. Thankfully ABI is a great ressource and a half hour search, note taking and researching had me downloading Handbrake, messing around with the features and...er... failing. Then another 5 minutes got me to a post which told me to use the iPod setting and just change, literally, 2 numbers. And it worked! So here's what I would advise to anyone planning on putting a video on there for travelling, bus trips, or even being on the bog : get Handbrake. A quick search on here will let you know all you need (I'll add the right links once I find them :s)
I'm adding the videos directly to the Sony's video folder and I've not run into any issues so far, all good.
I also really believe that the movie quality is better on the Sony than on the Zen.

Now keep this in mind... When the A7/820 series came out, they were Sony's flagship and expensive. I paid for mine what I consider to be quite a cheap price, but they've all gone much cheaper lately. Because of this I consider them better value, specs wise, to Cowon iAudio 7, Samsung Q1, Zen 16GB or similar. BUT do keep in mind the only one of these I have experience with is the Zen. For all I know, the others sound much better or may even be more suited to me personally... But they're usually 8GB at the closest price, which is more than what I paid for my Sony, so hopefully you get where I'm going...

Packaging/bundle:
It came with a troubleshooting manual in approximately all of Earth's languages and then some, a quick start leaflet, warrantee, EU regulations etc... Also with a CD with some softwares (including WMP11) and of course, the headphones... more on this right about now.

Headphones:
I've never used earphones before. Only neckbands. I like walking around with music, and if I need to talk I hit pause quickly in my pocket and let the neckband on my neck. Easy, comfy, and especially, safe.
With earphones I always wonder where I put them if I have to put them off. I always fear breaking them. And overall they just always felt cheap to me. Not to say they are, it's just how I felt about them: I'm way too clumsy to buy expensive earphones or IEM.
So I use the Sony with my PMX200.
I have however tried the supplied earphones with my PC, through my speakers (Logitech Z3) and WOW... the difference was really night and day. Much, much more of something which I can only describe as 'depth'. I could hear music like it was in the room, but panned allover me, not just ear right and ear left. It was a much different sensation and one that was quite impressive.
They are also very, very comfortable.
They come with 3 different sizes of those plastic bits. The smallest fit me better.
However some of the Sony player's enhancements/functions ONLY work with these headphones. They've really been designed to work together. And this to me isn't so great, though it's not bad either.
I MAY one day try the player with its supplied earphones, but I doubt. I just can't see myself leaving the house with something that looks so fragile and which I won't know where to put if I need to have a conversation at some point.

If you have any questions feel free to ask! I may add stuff as I use it more...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Banned

Nice review, and from a fellow Edinburger.. I had a Zen, too and while I was fond of its interface and features I just wanted an upgrade to something which sounded a lot better. You've got that with your Sony, and at a bargain price too.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:10 PM

Thanks, and indeed, I'm quite happy with it! And it really does everything I want an MP3 player to do. For cheaper than all the other options I had :s

I just had a mess around the test mode and increased the bass just a little. I kept the treble to where it was. The stock setting is very clear sounding but can do with a little more bass I feel.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:35 PM

ARGH the screen is already scratched! I was hoping it'd be more solid than on the Zen. Hell it's been on a hoodie pocket ever since I turned it on, or even just on my table. Never screen down, never in a pocket with anything, EVER. And still, it's got a scratch. I'd really advise getting a cover for it... Not cool... My sony style store only had a white flip-over cover for 20, scratch that (...). AMP3P in Ocean Terminal only had the silicon cover that don't protect the screen. I'm slightly disapointed. I think manufacturers should include a hard case protecting the screen with their high end players, but that's just me...
On another hand, I got me some Sennheiser CX500 to go with it...
I also tried it today for the first ever time with my Sony earphones, the ones that come with it, and it's very, very nice. It's a bit bassier than with the Sennheiser PMX200 so I had to unload some of the bass. Not sure how they sound with the CX500 yet as I've not tried, but it should be soon enough...

Old 05-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Banned

Just along from Amp3 there is a stall that sells various screen protectors/cases and stuff for phones- you might find something there.
To get a scratch off a hard plastic screen- try Brasso, it usually works

Old 05-28-2009, 05:35 PM

Well I tried it with the CX500 and the verdict is...

Fail.

Really not as good as with the stock Sony earphones. Less clarity, a bit more bass though. Just not for me. I also prefer the Sony's design, I found the CX500 less comfortable, even with the smallest tips.

Meh I'm out 36 now...

Old 05-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Well I tried it with the CX500 and the verdict is...

Fail.

Really not as good as with the stock Sony earphones. Less clarity, a bit more bass though. Just not for me. I also prefer the Sony's design, I found the CX500 less comfortable, even with the smallest tips.

Meh I'm out 36 now...
If it's not just a case of burn-in time, and you really don't like the style/fit then bad luck. I got lucky with my cx300s because they really were an upgrade from what came with my Zen at the time.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:13 AM

thanks for the review, i want to ask u a question . is there any sound quality difference between sony nwz-a818 and sony nwz-a729 ? do u know sth about that ? thanks ..

Old 06-17-2009, 08:28 AM
Banned

No- the A series all sound the same.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:41 AM

thanks mate

Old 06-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Banned

Smile Let's talk about SONY NWZ A729..

Hey I'm looking for a someone to talk about the Sony nwz a729 in great length..sound quality..ect

I'm in luv with this machine!!

Feel free to email me at Akashlad at gmail.com

Cheers
Akash

Old 06-28-2009, 07:51 PM

I found what I don't like with the CX500s. A lot of noise is transmitted through the cable moving, so that I can't use it while walking for instance, which is why I have an MP3 player mostly. Right now I'm sitting in front of the PC with a movie on and I can still hear my elbows rubbing the cable.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I found what I don't like with the CX500s. A lot of noise is transmitted through the cable moving, so that I can't use it while walking for instance, which is why I have an MP3 player mostly. Right now I'm sitting in front of the PC with a movie on and I can still hear my elbows rubbing the cable.
Lol,... cable microphonics can be a real bitch!!!!

Old 06-29-2009, 06:25 AM
Banned

I got microphonics badly with the cx300s, but not with either of my Sony phones.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
I got microphonics badly with the cx300s, but not with either of my Sony phones.
I had the prob w/the cx300's as well as my V-Moda Bass Freqs. Annoying as hell. And, same as you, not such prob w/the Sony IEM's as they go behind the neck. It really cuts down on the issue's prevalence.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:58 PM

I honestly don't get it. It really spoils the entire experience for me. Even just sitting in front of the PC watching a movie, it's not so fun.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just wear the cable up around your ears instead of letting it hang down, that reduces cable noise immensely. Wearing the cable on the inside of your shirt helps as well, or a shirt clip.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I do the "behind the neck" thing when I jog, works pretty well. Though I just switched back to the Philips behind the neck headphones for workouts. I can hear whats going on around me a bit better.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:59 PM

Thanks guys! Works with the cable around my ears though it does feel a bit ridiculous haha. But it works.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ridiculous? All the best IEMs are designed with the cable up around your ears - for exactly that reason. You really don't find any $500-1000 Ultimate Ears, Westone, Shure, etc with cables that hang down in front. I would never wear any IEM with the cable hanging down - it also looks way more stealthy, IMO.