android
Old 05-31-2009, 11:31 AM

Help Help with converting DVD's please!

Hi. So, I've run through the threads and looked at the posts on ripping and converting DVD's for my P3 and my problem is that I'm a doofus and can't get it to work. I've tried Handbrake, DVD Decrypter and VLC and really I'm just looking for a programme which (correctly) assumes I'm an idiot and has a big button saying 'record' and then simply allows me to drag the result into the P3's Video folder, where it will play first time. DVD Decrypter is as close as I've come - it downloaded the film, but then when I dragged it into the P3's Video Folder it said it couldn't find it.

Can anyone suggest a programme for imbeciles, which will work simply & easily?

Many thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-31-2009, 01:19 PM

I would have suggested "Super" but you have to know which VOB file to convert and then what format to convert it into and other settings too.

I think DVD decrypter is probably the most id10t proofed dvd ripper out there overall.

I think what you need to do, is use DVD Encrypter, then use EmoDio to put the video on the P3. EmoDio automatically converts most movie formats into a format specifically for the p3. You have less controll on file size that way but hopefully DVD Encrypter does it at a much higher bitrate and Frames Per Second (FPS) than what the P3 can handle, then EmoDio will cut down the FPS and Bitrate to correspond with what the P3 can do thus also shrink the file size.

Good luck, you might need to do a little research and learn some of the technicals of digital video and audio.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:24 PM

Unfortunately there is no program that allows you to press 'rip' and the DVD is magically on your computer. However, I do recommend this as a virtual idiot proof solution.
Download 'anyDVD' - run it in the background
Download 'handbrake'
AnyDVD will 'decrypt' on the fly. Run handbrake, pick the ipod touch pre-set, change the sound to stereo, hit encode and thats it! Choose 2pass encoding for better quality, choose the size of your output file to choose the final size of your file.

Spending ten minutes familiarizing yourself with the Handbrake options is a good idea. If your really trying to condense down your file size try altering the sound settings. I have episodes of Futurama at 35mb per ep! Ripped from DVD, sound sampled at 22.1 mono.

I've ripped a couple of DVDs this way and it does work well.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:42 PM

Default Well...

Thanks, guys. I've loaded EmoDio and ripped the films with DVD Decrypter and Emodio can't see them on the hard drive, even though they are clearly there. EmoDio also finds my music but regards it all as 'Unknown Album', even though it names the tracks with no problem.

*Sighs*

Thank you for your help. (Any more suggestions - please!)

Old 06-01-2009, 05:49 PM

Screw EmoDio for converting video....

AnyVideoConverter works easy and any number of programs to convert for iPod Touch

Give AVC a shot...you can put the movies on to your P3 fast and easy.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:51 PM

DVDVideoSoft Free iPod To Video Converter is the smoothest one I've tried though...AVC might have a few hiccups and you gotta try more than once.