android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung P3

Old 06-05-2009, 04:27 PM

Default How easy is it to change tracks without looking?

If the P3 is in my pocket, for example.

This is the ultimate factor for me between a P3 and S9.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Samsung Moderator

Impossible as you can only change tracks with the touch screen.
So > S9

Old 06-05-2009, 05:00 PM

Not that tough IMO. Jeans pocket is awkward, jacket pocket not so. Simply slide your finger across the screen to the left (if player is upside down in your pocket) for next track, slide to the right for previous. May require an initial tap to 'wake' the screen. Quite easy really.

Impossible if you want more advanced selection than next/previous. Unless you're a Jedi...!

Old 06-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Samsung Moderator

But to be honest, if that is "quite easy", how could it be called on the S9 with real buttons? "Super maxi ultra easy"?

Old 06-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Banned

It isn't easy- that's why I've never used my P3 outside..I bought a Clip for ease of use when I'm out and about.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It's super easy if your P3 is in a pocket (any pocket within 30ft or so) and you are wearing bluetooth headphones paired to the P3. Most stereo bluetooth headsets have track +/-, Volume +/-, and play/pause controls on them.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, between the S9 and P3, the S9 is definitely easier to control. Those hardware buttons up top really make a difference. During the time I had the S9, I'd say it's a perfect pocket player, as you never need to pull it out in public to change a track.

Last edited by The DarkSide; 06-05-2009 at 05:58 PM.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
It's super easy if your P3 is in a pocket (any pocket within 30ft or so) and you are wearing bluetooth headphones paired to the P3. Most stereo bluetooth headsets have track +/-, Volume +/-, and play/pause controls on them.
Bluetooth headphones suck, though.. One more device that needs charged and the SQ on the ones I tried made them seem like a (not so cheap) toy.
And they kept cutting out- with both my mobile and the P3 in a shirt pocket not 3 feet away.
Get the S9 I say.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:24 PM

but the s9 buttons are on the top, with the jack at the bottom. So at least in jeans or an inside blazer/suit pocket it would be no easier than the side swipe on the p3, if you're not out to damage your headphones so have the plug facing up. I'm saying this as a teen student, so my jeans are tight and I'm regularly wearing a blazer ( and then a suit next year in sixth form) so if your wearing cargo pants or whatever the results might be more in favour of s9, and if you want hard controls the X1000 is probably the best set up with a touch screen.
But really, if this is a big factor, shouldn't you be looking for players designed to be controlled with physical hardware? Like the Zen, zune, even the spinn?

Old 06-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Banned

If you wear tight jeans -like Gebal- you shouldn't really have any DAP in your jeans pocket...It's not gonna be good for the headphone jack. Better in an inside breast pocket or jacket pocket. That's why I like the Clip so much tbh - I can just clip it anywhere and still be able to fully control it.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I wear decently loose (not those funky azz huggers) jeans, and I didn't have any difficulties changing tracks on the S9.

As for the X1000 series, it's got great SQ, but it's not worth the money. Also, you have to take "Hold" off to use the controls w/the Sony, and may accidentally access the touch screen. Defeats the purpose of keeping it in a pocket to change tracks, as it's not easy to do.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:45 PM

Easy for me. my shirts always have breast pockets. but I have blindly controlled it in my pants pocket several times. All you need to do is memorize where all the icons on the screen are. If you can't do that put a tape marker on the side and try to line it up with play/pause/next track on the screen. just feel for the tape and you'll always know where the main buttons are. This won't work with tight jeans.

You can also try turning the brightness all the way up, and looking at the screen through your pants. Although I don't expect it to work during the day very well.

Last edited by shinobi00; 06-06-2009 at 08:50 PM.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:32 PM

...hmm samsung should make a update where wen u hold the volume up key the track changes, and vice verca with the volume down key...
thats how it used to be with my sony ericson phone...

Old 06-07-2009, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astarman View Post
...hmm samsung should make a update where wen u hold the volume up key the track changes, and vice verca with the volume down key...
thats how it used to be with my sony ericson phone...
If they use anything, it'll be the touch strip at the bottom: slide along to skip song, hold end for volume, press middle for pause
(2.2, anyone?)

Old 06-07-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebal View Post
If they use anything, it'll be the touch strip at the bottom: slide along to skip song, hold end for volume, press middle for pause
(2.2, anyone?)

yea that would be nice... but isnt there a volume key on the P3?

Last edited by astarman; 06-07-2009 at 08:38 AM.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:33 AM

but its at the top, not that practical for pocket use especially because they're so small its hard to distinguish them from the speaker, hold/power button, filler and one another.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:12 PM

Hold volume plus to play the next song, and hold volume down to play the previous song when the screen is locked !!
By this, we can:
1.Save more battery life without unlocking screen.
As we all know, the screen is the biggest consumer of battery life.
2.Change songs without seeing the screen. That's really convenient!
3.This is very easy to come true,and samsung just add some program code to the next Firmware!
4.If anyone of you knew Samsung's official email address/phone number or someone works for samsung, please tell them the good suggestion.
Also you can tell me the official email address and i'll send to Samsung.
The more emails we send,the earlier will be the dream come true!!
Thanks !!

Old 06-07-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mq4ever View Post
3.This is very easy to come true,and samsung just add some program code to the next Firmware!
yea it should be really easy, if they have programed the code press volume up make volume louder... then all they hav to add is hold volume to change tracks...
learnt that in school rofl

Old 06-08-2009, 07:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
Bluetooth headphones suck, though.. One more device that needs charged and the SQ on the ones I tried made them seem like a (not so cheap) toy.
Of course there are cheap bluetooth headphones and there are great ones. I find any of the $50 stereo wrap around ones are still better sounding than the stock earbuds. Spend a little more and you'll find Sony or JBL headphones that match the sound of Sennheisers or any other headset in the same price range. Many will also pair with your cell phone and let you take your calls. Once you conclude a call your music will resume automatically. I've got four different bluetooth headsets and 3 out of the four sound great and don't break up unless I move out of range. Yes, you have to charge them. Their battery life is about the same as the P3's though. Not a big deal to plug them both (P3 and headset) in to charge at the same time.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Of course there are cheap bluetooth headphones and there are great ones. I find any of the $50 stereo wrap around ones are still better sounding than the stock earbuds. Spend a little more and you'll find Sony or JBL headphones that match the sound of Sennheisers or any other headset in the same price range. Many will also pair with your cell phone and let you take your calls. Once you conclude a call your music will resume automatically. I've got four different bluetooth headsets and 3 out of the four sound great and don't break up unless I move out of range. Yes, you have to charge them. Their battery life is about the same as the P3's though. Not a big deal to plug them both (P3 and headset) in to charge at the same time.
I didn't like any of the ones I tried, and struggle to see the point of them really; they're never going to come close to a wired set SQ wise.