android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung P3

Old 06-06-2009, 03:50 PM

Default How many charge cycles before battery gives maximum duration?

I'm getting a little dubious about the battery in my P3. I'm only getting around 4 hours maximum (probably less), in sessions of 20 minute useage in bluetooth mode. I use it exclusively for music with screen set to time out quickly and speaker disabled. It's been through 3 charge cyles so far. I have it Bluetooth paired with my mobile which I know takes a major hit on the battery but even so, I would expect better timings than that. My ancient T9 way exceeds that, also in bluetooth mode. I have a master EQ set and occasionally a DNSe bass boost, but that's it.
I've read the thread detailing battery life with bluetooth enabled gives fairly respectable results. That hasn't been my experience so far. I'm getting ready to send this back now unless the battery life starts to pick up.

Last edited by bernado; 06-09-2009 at 07:28 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-06-2009, 06:11 PM

only 4 hours? wow, yeah, that does seem odd... it might be defective

Old 06-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Banned

4 hours is poor. You could have a defective unit.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:46 AM

I'm beginning to think the same. I think I'll do one more charge then do a test with bluetooth and everything else off. I'll post back my findings.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:51 PM

Your bluetooth is zapping the battery power. I only get about 6 hours tops with bluetooth speakers, DNSe, street on, DNSe Equalizer bumped up a little, Clarity on and Upscaler on. And that's with locking the screen off for the full duration and never touching the player again. With a volume set at 20.

When I looked at the song periodically, I only got about 4 hours being the screen also seriously zaps the battery.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat39 View Post
Your bluetooth is zapping the battery power. I only get about 6 hours tops with bluetooth speakers, DNSe, street on, DNSe Equalizer bumped up a little, Clarity on and Upscaler on. And that's with locking the screen off for the full duration and never touching the player again. With a volume set at 20.

When I looked at the song periodically, I only got about 4 hours being the screen also seriously zaps the battery.
I got a lot more using Bluetooth with speakers- I ran a test and posted it somewhere on here..

Old 06-07-2009, 05:21 PM

Looks like the battery is fine. It's been playing 12 hours straight now (without bluetooth) and still showing full bars on the battery display. I'll let it finish then charge and try again with bluetooth engaged, but I'm not expecting much development on that front. Pretty much game over for me as I bought it very much with that function in mind so I didn't miss potentially important calls. As I say, my old tiny T9 had a much better battery performance in that respect so all in all a bit disappointing.
Looks like this will be up for sale pretty soon

Old 06-08-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
I got a lot more using Bluetooth with speakers- I ran a test and posted it somewhere on here..
Yeah, I saw it, but you also had most options turned off and a volume of 12 if I recall.

Where I have most options on and a volume of 20. Extra CPU and higher op-amp means more watts being used.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernado View Post
Looks like the battery is fine. It's been playing 12 hours straight now (without bluetooth) and still showing full bars on the battery display. I'll let it finish then charge and try again with bluetooth engaged, but I'm not expecting much development on that front. Pretty much game over for me as I bought it very much with that function in mind so I didn't miss potentially important calls. As I say, my old tiny T9 had a much better battery performance in that respect so all in all a bit disappointing.
Looks like this will be up for sale pretty soon
sorry to hear that man, I have yet to actually get my P3, so I can't say if you unit is really defective or not... good luck finding a replacement player though

Old 06-08-2009, 03:15 PM

I can confirm now the battery is not defective. I tested it with no Bluetooth, volume on 20 (connected to some Portapros to give it a bit of a load to work with), some master eq set but no DNSe. I got 27 hours straight audio playback, with occasional screen activity due to me checking battery status. I reckon in the real world I'll get 24 hours audio playback (without Bluetooth) on those settings. Which isn't bad and short of a Sony player, probably up there with the best (remember, this is a 'real world' estimate, with some EQ and half decent volume).
I'm about to repeat with Bluetooth enabled and paired to my mobile, so we'll see.
Edit - I repeated the test, this time bluetooth paired to my phone. I checked after six hours to find the P3 had died already! I thought it would have done better than that, being left alone with no screen activity. Pairing with a mobile is clearly out the question for me with that kind of performance. The only way for me to keep this player now is if battery performance is better connected to bluetooth phones, which in turn would be paired to phone and P3. I hope so because in all other respects this is quite a nice device. That of course means yet another purchase and using the inferior bluetooth audio quality. I'll do some more digging around in the P3 Bluetooth forum

Last edited by bernado; 06-09-2009 at 10:47 AM.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:47 AM

In case anyone's interested, I've updated my post above

Old 06-10-2009, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the test, bermado*^_^*