android
Old 06-09-2009, 03:58 PM

Default Bluetooth headphone users, please advise

Any P3 users of Bluetooth headphones care to share their experiences? I would like to know what model phones you use and what your experiences are regarding stable connection, sound quality and battery life (both P3 and headphones), particularly if paired to a mobile also.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by bernado; 06-10-2009 at 02:55 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...io-roundup.php

Old 06-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you want decent sound quality over bluetooth then look for the Sony BT50s or JBL reference bluetooth headphones. I have both and don't have any connection problems unless I wander too far from the P3. Bluetooth is a radio frequency ins the same range as WiFi and your microwave oven, and both can interfere if not properly shielded. My Bluetooth signal will break up if I'm in the kitchen when my Wife uses the microwave, and I'll attribute that to the microwave being 15+ years old.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the interesting link Captain, I had read that (still using that Bluetooth modded set of Beyer phones you put together?).
Olley, I have been eyeing up the Sonys you mention; what battery life do you get out of the P3 when using them (an idea of any eq/ DNSe settings used would be good). Those funky looking JBLs are a bit on the pricey side for me unfortunately.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:15 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernado View Post
Thanks for the interesting link Captain, I had read that (still using that Bluetooth modded set of Beyer phones you put together?).

No, now I use Jabra BT620s and i have a pair of Sony DR-BT22s coming tomorrow

Old 06-10-2009, 11:57 AM

I had some Motorola S805s - they were okay. BT sound quality just wasn't good enough for me, weird treble. Plugged in they sounded like any average pair of headphones... not great but not bad. Pushed out some pretty good bass. Connection was good and battery lasted forever.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjrock View Post
I had some Motorola S805s - they were okay. BT sound quality just wasn't good enough for me, weird treble. Plugged in they sounded like any average pair of headphones... not great but not bad. Pushed out some pretty good bass. Connection was good and battery lasted forever.
Thanks for that, I was looking at those Motorolas but comments about their sound quality does seem mixed compared to the Sony BT50s, which would appear to be the best sounding (for Bluetooth) from what I've read on the web. Just out of interest, can you recall how long the P3 battery lasted with your Motorolas?

Old 06-10-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that, I was looking at those Motorolas but comments about their sound quality does seem mixed compared to the Sony BT50s, which would appear to be the best sounding (for Bluetooth) from what I've read on the web. Just out of interest, can you recall how long the P3 battery lasted with your Motorolas?
Actually my battery life comment referred to the battery of the headphones themselves - the P3 battery was maybe 5 hours in real world conditions (using DSNe, fiddling around occasionally with the screen etc)

The problem with BT is that for the price of an okay sounding pair of BT headphones you could pick up a kick-butt pair of wired ones... I like my BT speakers a lot more, because they aren't so close to the ear I don't notice the limitations of the SQ so much... more for just background music...

Old 06-10-2009, 02:06 PM

Bluetooth really does seem power hungry in general but it seems to be a particular issue on the P3. I have read that Bluetooth implementation on the P3 is pretty good, so I guess that's the price you pay.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Bluetooth really does seem power hungry in general but it seems to be a particular issue on the P3. I have read that Bluetooth implementation on the P3 is pretty good, so I guess that's the price you pay.
Yep, of the top of my head BT music playback is officially rated at 7 hours or something... but yeah, as a whole battery life isn't really the P3s strongest point.

I wouldn't say definitely avoid the Motorola's - if you can get them at a good price they are a decent pair of cans - but they just didn't have the quality of sound I'm grown accustomed to.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I haven't tested the Sony BT50s for battery duration. Seems like whenever I pick them up they have enough charge to connect and go. You get a cryptic beep as a quick warning when the power is almost gone, with very little time left. One thing I like about the JBls is that you can use a cable that comes with them to listen wired after the battery is dead.