android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon S9

Old 06-10-2009, 07:34 PM

Default Two dead s9 32gb. Reset does not fix it.

So I received my first 32gb s9 a few weeks ago. While happily transferring my music to it (using rsync in linux), it stopped responding. The screen went black, and power cycling/using the reset button did nothing. I chalked this up to bad luck, sent it back and got a new replacement.

The replacement just died in the exact same manner, although I was lucky enough to actually get to use it for about two weeks. These s9's were not abused at all aside from being transferred between my car and desk via my pocket. Windows machines refuse to recognize the devices at all. In linux I get the following output in dmesg.

Code:
usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 43
usb 1-4: config 1 interface 0 altsetting 0 bulk endpoint 0x82 has invalid maxpacket 64 
usb 1-4: config 1 interface 0 altsetting 0 bulk endpoint 0x1 has invalid maxpacket 64
usb 1-4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Both times, just before the s9 stopped responding, rsync reported filesystem I/O errors. I power cycled the s9, reattached it via usb (no I'm not using a hub), and the screen would stay black.

So, now I'm questioning the build quality of the 32gb s9. Should I bother trying another one? Or is it possibly something I'm doing?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm suspitious that your USB ports are not putting out the right voltage. Did you build the PC yourself? It's not hard to get 12v and 5v lines confused.

Another thing that will confuse any USB device is if you unplug it while the PC is still writing or reading from it. In Windows we have an options to "safely remove" a device. I'm not sure about Linux. Killing two off the same PC makes me think the PC is at fault, or at least the PC and it's user.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:48 PM

I did build the PC myself and I can quickly verify the voltage for the USB ports. However, I've been using them for flash drives, my phone and my roommate's ipods for over two years. Still that could be it.

In linux, you umount the drive which does the same thing as safely removing.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:52 PM

Heh, checking didn't take long. I took one look at the case and realized I'm plugging directly into the integrated USB ports on the motherboard. So unless Asus really screwed up...

Old 06-10-2009, 08:34 PM

in linux or unix-based
you have to eject the device and wait til its gone

ive had a similar problem on my mac where i didnt eject thinking it was on my pc
and the flash memory got corrupted..
though i was able to read from and to the s9 so i just formatted it

but yeah thinking of it..
does linux actually see the s9??
if it does format (erase) it and install the firmware
if it doesnt.. RMA

Old 06-11-2009, 08:18 PM

Yeah, amazon isn't even accepting the s9's for replacement anymore, only refunds. I guess that answers my question about build quality. Maybe they just got a bad lot.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:07 PM

Default Same Problem!

Hello, I two use Ubuntu, Dell Insperon 1525 (Laptop) I a Cowon S9 form Amazon on June 11th and returned it the next day because it stopped working, just halted, No Resources No Fonts and halted, never turned back on. The next one did the EXACT SAME THING! I really like this Device so I think I am going to use my refund money to get it from newegg who got it in stock a few days ago, hopefully it doesn't have anything to do with Ubuntu, and it is a bad batch, keep me updated on your situation.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:31 PM

Same thing happened to mine. Using Linux ( Fedora ) too. I was transfering files, got the i/o error, then I unmounted the drive, unplugged the power cord and it rebooted witht the message "No Fonts No resources." This is the third non-ipod in two weeks for me. First one died on day two, Second one soiunded so terrible, I returned it ( Sansa view 8g). and the Cowon s9, which died after one ^&*% DAY. I am so pissssseeeeeeeeeeeeedddd. Had two Ipods before then burnt in a car fire, but at least, they lasted years. MAybe ther is something to these ipods after all. Unfortunatly, I will never buy one on principole alone because they don't support the family of OS's their computers run on.

Oh another thread with the same issue.
http://www.cowonamerica.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=23964

I bought it from Newegg so wanted to add that.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:40 AM

kinda looks like its a linux issue...

Old 06-28-2009, 10:40 AM

Its a fairly new machine...so I kinda expected some bugs in it. As long as Cowon does the right thing and replaces them with brand new units, I think in the long run the positives will outweigh the negatives. we should start a thread of all the defective units Serial Numbers, that way we will know if we are getting refurbed units or new ones, and we can keep track of whats going on with the S9. anyone else game for that?

Old 06-28-2009, 11:09 AM

I don't get why so many people get pissed about getting refurbished units. So fucking what if it's used! If it works it works, if not, you're gonna get another one for free anyway.

Duke Lukem.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duderino View Post
I don't get why so many people get pissed about getting refurbished units. So fucking what if it's used! If it works it works, if not, you're gonna get another one for free anyway.
Funny thing is, I kinda' agree. If you pay $50-$75 less for a refurb, it's all good IMO. I just repurchased a 32gb S9 myself (refurb, probably the same 1 I sent back).

Besides, if it's bricked due to a software issue all you need to do is scan iAudiophile.net and find instructions to un-brick it. It's very simple, just might take a try or 2 (worked when I bricked my D2 a few times!!!).

Last edited by The DarkSide; 06-28-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duderino View Post
Hmmm. I agree with him. If you pay $300 for something new and 1 week later, they give you a used device then why pay for new in the first place. I had a new car die while driving home and got a new one. I told them I do not want the same vehicle where some mechanic has done major work on it.

Besides this isn't the point. The point is they are selling devices, which support Linux, and several have died simply by copying files. Why should copying a file completely brick a device? They should separate the OS from the file system that gets written to and run the OS in read only mode so that corrupting the file system doesn't destroy the whole device. Also, if I could at least turn the thing back on, I have a chance of fixing the device. But it completely dies and won't power up at all. Makes no sense.

Last edited by rramsdell; 06-28-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Does it state that Linux is a supported OS on the Cowon website? Then you have an issue, otherwise it's just bitching and no backup. Double check just to be sure, especially since I'd be pissed myself after 2 RMA's.

Seems that Linux IS supported according to the Cowon S9 specs page:
OS: Windows Vista / XP / 2000 / ME / MAC OS 10.X / Linux v2.4 or higher (support only for data transfer)

EDIT: Seems like the last part about "support only for data transfer" is a possible cop out/coverup for Linux probs.

Here's the page itself: http://www.cowonamerica.com/products...ech_specs.html

Old 06-28-2009, 08:37 PM

To clarify about Linux being supported. Supporting Linux for transfer only is only about saying their apps do run on Linux. Using Linux to transfer files does not HAVE to be supported actually. All you would do with Linux is write to a fat32 file system which is works under Linux. Our Linux systems at work have been writing to fat32/vfat/ext3/hpfs etc... filesystems for years. The problem lies in the fact that Cowon built a device that can be completely bricked by transferring files. Transferring files is not rocket science and Linux file transfers aren't doing anything magical. You could build a device that would not brick by possibly making the OS on the device read only and separating its file systems from the one we are transferring to. It is a design flaw imho and really disappointing since this device has an awesome screen and sounded perfect. I watched a full movie on it and it was great. Music is so clear and I cannot think of another device that I would rather have in these regards. Also Cowon has to know what is causing this kind of corruption or they should after we report these problems, because file transfers are the most basic OS operation. It should be simple for them to determine the root cause. I even bet this problem is 100% reproducible which would make it even easier to fix. But will they fix it is the question because if they do not, these will brick on anyone transferring from a Linux based system. Also it isn't a Linux problem, it is a Cowon problem because the Linux OS does not do anything whatsoever the destroy usb devices. In fact, I use Linux to transfers files to many types of mass stoage devices without issue, including ipod stuff whn I had them.

Rant over sorry. I hope this clarifies some things and helps somehow.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:13 AM

Same problem on 32GB S9. Thought it was a one-off but just got a replacement this morning, was copying a few tunes across and got the no font / no resource error. Unit is now bricked, again.

Don't know what to do except keep asking for replacements.

Hoping I am just unlucky but somehow I'm thinking there is a more serious problem.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:32 PM

Default Two Bricked S9s Under Mac OS X

I would also like to chime in since I had the same exact experience as previous posters on this thread with bricked S9s.

I was using MAC OS X 10.5 Leopard on a Macbook Aluminum for both instances so this 'problem' is probably not peculiar to just Linux. The S9 is the first device I ever had issues with on my Macbook. Past PMPs and other peripheral devices have always played nice.

My first one died on day four when I was transferring files. Just before it bricked, the files names of the files getting tranferred started coming out as garbage. There were just random strings of characters for file names instead of the names of the files I transferred over. After safely ejecting and restarting the player, I got the "No Resourse, No Font" message and I shut it down again and it never turned on again. The reset did not work either.

The second one (the replacement for the first) lasted 10 days and it also died after doing file transfers. Again, reset did nothing. Both were used in MSC mode. Both were purshased from Amazon.com in the three weeks. Incidentally I opted for a refund after round two.

I wonder if Cowon shipped out a defective lot or the S9s have issues with Unix based operating systems?

edit: I should also add that in both cases the OS complained that it could not communicate with the player sometime after it started writing garbage, and that both were transferring files fine before the incidents where they both crashed.

Last edited by darkexplorien; 06-29-2009 at 12:40 PM.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:29 PM

I just got off chat with Cowon tech support. They did not have much information but did provide to BIN files that had something to to do with the "No fonts No resoucres" issue. Tech did not say what these bin files actually do, but he wrote that the devs are now looking into this issue. I wrote to them that I will give these files out, but I also wrote that I will return my device if I don't see a perm. fix in the form of a firmware release soon.. He did not have much to add to that. Anyway, not sure how to get these files here so any suggestions?

NOTE: They informed that no one has told them about this issue. I provided links to a couple of web sites where people are complaining. I am not confident that they will actually contact me regariding this issue, but hopefully. RMA'd mine to newegg today, but if it happens again, I will return it.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:22 PM

Count me as another person with the same problem.

I've had mine RMA'd twice now for this issue (Sent to Cowon USA in California). It just happened again yesterday for the third time. It's done the same thing everybody else has mentioned.

As far as them not knowing about this, I've had a support ticket going on with them via their website now for a while which stated all the exact symptoms that have been mentioned here and as I've already said, it's been sent to them twice now to be fixed.

If anyone from Cowon is reading this, my trouble ticket number is JGC-494511 and the two RMA numbers were 33559 and 33763.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:17 PM

What OS are you running? I have been dealing with their online chat and so far, it has been no conclusive. They won't really. point black, say they are addressing it. Although, they say the new firmware 1.31 has a fix for "No fonts No resources" thing.

I'll get back with any info I obtain.

EDIT: Ok just finished with Cowon tech support. The new firmware does not seem to work. The tech actually caused the "No Fonts No resources" error to happen copying files from Windows XP OUCH!. The difference was that he was able to recover it by copying the bin files back to the device since it did not turn off. We know that under Linux the device turns off, but if it doesn't, DO NOT turn it off. Plug it back in to the USB and then you may still see the drive. At this point you can copy the firmware back to recover I think. This is not tested.

NOTE: It is kind of disappointing to not be able to call them. You cannot speak with a manager also. I would put this squarely in the "They don't really support their product " category. We may never know when or how they fix this issue. We may never know they even ackowledged that there is a problem, unless we see it specifically stated in a firmware release.

This sucks big time for me.

Last edited by rramsdell; 07-01-2009 at 02:44 PM.