android
Old 06-13-2009, 12:19 PM

Default When do new models come out?

I am interested in buying a NWZ-S639 but unfortunately I can't find anywhere in the US that sells them. I doubt Best Buy will ever have them in stock - the "expected due in" date gets pushed back by one day - every single day. I talked to a saleman at one of my local stores and he said he's never seen them in stock and hasn't heard about getting any in stock. SonyStyle only sells the NWZ-S638 (at a decent price but only available in red). All online places (in the US) that I've seen except for SonyStyle either don't carry or are out of stock on the 8GB "S" models.

Looking back through the ABI news archives I see that last years E and S series were anounced in mid-late August. Does anyone know when they were actually available for purchase? Or more specifically, when this years new models will come out? I don't want to end up buying one (if I can find one to buy) right before the new models come out. I'm very disappointed in the availability of the current models. Thanks.

Matt

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-13-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMc3 View Post
I am interested in buying a NWZ-S639 but unfortunately I can't find anywhere in the US that sells them. I doubt Best Buy will ever have them in stock - the "expected due in" date gets pushed back by one day - every single day. I talked to a saleman at one of my local stores and he said he's never seen them in stock and hasn't heard about getting any in stock. SonyStyle only sells the NWZ-S638 (at a decent price but only available in red). All online places (in the US) that I've seen except for SonyStyle either don't carry or are out of stock on the 8GB "S" models.

Looking back through the ABI news archives I see that last years E and S series were anounced in mid-late August. Does anyone know when they were actually available for purchase? Or more specifically, when this years new models will come out? I don't want to end up buying one (if I can find one to buy) right before the new models come out. I'm very disappointed in the availability of the current models. Thanks.

Matt
I'm in the same situation as you. I don't have any information on upcoming models, but I check the home news page of ABI daily. Soon after I read that the Sony NWZ-S639 would be available at Best Buy, I turned to sonystyle.com and actually saw the NWZ-S639 (along with the S638) available. It dissapeared from their website soon after I saw it. I also checked the Sony Store by me, and they did not have it in stock either, even though I read on here that at least one member purchased their S series from the Sony Store. I also checked Best Buy and they had no idea what I was talking about. I saw that Toys R Us also carries the Sony players, but they just have the E versions.

That said, I purchased a 2GB Sandisk Sansa Clip to hold me over until the S639 ever does appear in stores, or if Sansa makes a larger capacity Clip. I am very impressed with the Clip, and though I need more memory, it will do for now as I don't need any of the fancy features of the S639 such as video and photo playback.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

AdvancedMP3 Players ships worldwide, and the prices are still acceptable after conversion. They're where I had bought mt S639 from: http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/...uner.3498.html

Old 06-13-2009, 06:39 PM

@eb23air: I have also bought a Clip as a temporary solution. I've seen that you have posted over in the Sansa clip forum. If you haven't seen the thread about Wal-Mart getting rid of their 8GB Clips for $49, check it out. Maybe one is available in your area?

@The DarkSide: I was hoping someone who bought an S series player from AMP3 that lived in the US would respond. I have seen their name mentioned multiple times in this forum - all in a positive manner. I emailed them three days ago and still have not heard back from them. I guess I'll have to wait until Monday and then I'll try again. A few questions for you:
- Is the S639 model from the UK the same as for the US? I'm curious if the FM tuner is set up for US frequencies (which might be the same as UK freqs?). Any other differences?
- Is the VAT subtracted from the price? As of today, the price in US dollars is $190. Does VAT get subtracted from that or is the price shown with the VAT already taken out.
- During the purchase check-out it says that the shipping address must match the billing address. I have a PO Box for billing (rural town). Was your package delivered by FedEx to your house? If so, I could try ordering with PayPal and use my physical address to ship to.

Matt

Edit: Any info on when new models come out?

Old 06-24-2009, 11:01 PM

Well, I ended up buying an S639F from Advanced MP3. A frustrating 14-day experience.

I'll answer my previous questions in case anyone else is curious:
- As far as I can tell, the US and UK models are the same (with the exception that the 16GB model isn't available in the US). The FM tuner works fine in the US.
- The price shown on AMP3's webpage includes VAT. When you place the item in your checkout basket the VAT is subtracted. Mine ended up being $170 plus $18 shipping.
- It was delivered to my house by FedEx Global Priority. In my case it was shipped from the UK on Tuesday morning and I received it on Wednesday before noon! Fantastic shipping. If your billing and shipping addresses are different, be prepared for a lengthy delay with AMP3. Even though I asked that exact pre-sale question with AMP3 and was assured it wouldn't be a problem, my order was flagged and was delayed for 4-5 days before everything got cleared up.

Matt