android
Old 06-23-2009, 05:30 AM

Default P3 Died while copying files

I am having a problem with my P3. Before I contact samsung and try and have it replaced I was wondering if anyone here saw the same thing, and had any ideas on how to fix it.

I was copying over a few mp3s to the music directory on the p3, and one file failed to copy. It said it could not read/write the file, and stopped copying the file. I tried it again after verifying that I could in fact read and write to the file on my filesystem. I then tried to copy over a different file to the P3. It started to copy it, got about 1/2 way when all of a sudden it turned off. The screen went solid black, and the computer said it was improperly disconnected. I unplugged it and tried to turn it back on, with and without pressing in the reset button on the bottom. Nothing works. It simply will not turn on, or do anything at this point.

I suspect one of two things, One it is on in some software loop and is not taking any input so the reset is not working. or more likely two the battery died somehow and it is not taking in a charge at all.

Has anyone else experienced these type of problems with the YP-P3?

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-23-2009, 09:14 AM

Doubt it is the battery.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:38 AM

If you dont think it is the battery what would you suspect it to be? Any ideas would be helpful, as I am currently living in Germany for work, and its difficult to deal with samsung here as I dont really speak the language.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:31 PM

upon further inspection I also do not think it is a battery issue any more. When I connect the device to my laptop and perform a scan of the usb bus. The devices does show up. It just does not show up properly. It shows up as

Code:
High Speed device @ 2 (0x26200000): .............................................   Composite device from unknown vendor
    Device Descriptor   
        Descriptor Version Number:   0x0110
        Device Class:   0   (Composite)
        Device Subclass:   0
        Device Protocol:   0
        Device MaxPacketSize:   64
        Device VendorID/ProductID:   0x140E/0xB057   (unknown vendor)
        Device Version Number:   0x0100
        Number of Configurations:   1
        Manufacturer String:   0 (none)
        Product String:   0 (none)
        Serial Number String:   0 (none)
    Configuration Descriptor   
        Length (and contents):   32
            Raw Descriptor (hex)    0000: 09 02 20 00 01 01 00 C0  32 09 04 00 00 02 FF FF  
            Raw Descriptor (hex)    0010: FF 00 07 05 82 02 40 00  00 07 05 01 02 40 00 00  
            Unknown Descriptor   0020: 
        Number of Interfaces:   1
        Configuration Value:   1
        Attributes:   0xC0 (self-powered)
        MaxPower:   100 ma
        Interface #0 - Vendor-specific   
            Alternate Setting   0
            Number of Endpoints   2
            Interface Class:   255   (Vendor-specific)
            Interface Subclass;   255   (Vendor-specific)
            Interface Protocol:   255
            Endpoint 0x82 - Bulk Input   
                Address:   0x82  (IN)
                Attributes:   0x02  (Bulk no synchronization data endpoint)
                Max Packet Size:   64
                Polling Interval:   0 ms
            Endpoint 0x01 - Bulk Output   
                Address:   0x01  (OUT)
                Attributes:   0x02  (Bulk no synchronization data endpoint)
                Max Packet Size:   64
                Polling Interval:   0 ms
I wish I had a dump of the usb bus before the device crapped out so I could compare the two.

I am leaning more now to it being a software issue. I will try and let the battery run out completely. Then charge it off the wall to see if it boots back up.
If anyone else has any ideas I would be glad to entertain them.
Also I tried contacting samsung again here is germany. They gave me an address to ship the unit to to get it fixed, but when I look up the address in google maps it does not exist. So its looking more like I am on my own with this. :-(.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:02 PM

Have you tried a reset?

Old 06-23-2009, 04:23 PM

Yea, resetting may fix this.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:39 AM

I tried resetting it a bunch of times. I tried simply pressing the reset button, pressing it and pressing the power button at the same time. holding it in while pressing the power button, pressing the reset as I held the power button, and really any other permutation I could think of. Is there some other "magic" reset method I should try?

Old 06-24-2009, 01:51 PM

not to my knowledge

have you tried it in a different computer? (just asking since the problems seems to be in the USB identification...)

Old 06-24-2009, 03:19 PM

Who did you get the usb info ?
I don't know how windows does it, but ubuntu do identify it a Samsung YP-P3.

My guess would be a problem with the internal memory. Does the screen shows anything ?

Last edited by EowynCarter; 06-24-2009 at 03:26 PM.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:34 AM

when I had a problem with the P3 suddenly not recognising any files, which occured part way through a download, I updated the firmware and this worked for me. If the PC recognises the device still would this be possible?

Old 06-25-2009, 08:42 AM

He said the device does not even turn on. I don't think it would be possible to reinstall the firmware.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:15 PM

Default P3 crash while transferring file

Hi,

Mine froze and became unresponsive to resetting.
The problem was solved for me by reformatting the P3 memory from my computer. I have a MAC and did this through Disk Utility. I thought after that my P3 memory got corrupted in some way by me ignoring the 'do not disconect' message.
I saved my files before reformatting. I needed to download the games again from the Samsung site else I was up and running again.

Nigelm

Last edited by nigelm; 06-25-2009 at 02:30 PM.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:42 PM

Hey Morgo,

Shitty luck my friend, I'm not sure how much help I can be, but I'll give a couple of general troubleshoots I've used when my various MP3's have gone on the fritz.

Also, these instructions are for windows XP but they should generally work for Vista as well.

As a side note, sometimes it can help if you can take out the battery from the player and plug in the player without the battery that can help to stop any kind of software cycling and at least let you get at drive recognition.

Firstly, if I remember the specs of the P3 it's set as a MSC which can make things a little bit easier. (Once again, these will only work if you can at least view the player as a drive in your windows explorer when you connect it to your computer. If you can't even view the player, then sorry I can't be more help, and you probably want to get hold of Samsung)

BUT! If you can view your player as a drive in windows explorer, read on.

My first suggestion is to right click on the drive that the P3 is listed as (I'd imagine it's E: or F: depending) once you've right-clicked on the drive, there should be the option to format the drive. It'll wipe the drive clean (shouldn't get rid of the original filing hierarchy but it will delete all files within the filing hierarchy), I've done this with one player, and it cleared the problems up nice and quick. Of course I've done it with another and the memory was so corrupted it couldn't even complete the format, for that, I give option two.

Connect your player, (preferably without the battery in) and keep it connected to your computer through the whole process.

If you can view the player as a drive, note down the name of the Drive that the player displays as... (E: or F: or whatever)

Once you've done that, Press the windows start button and pull up the 'Run' function (just above the shut down button)

In that box enter this command:

chkdsk x:/f (x: will be the drive that you noted the Samsung listed as, like E or F)

This will fix the drive and will clean up any errors on the disk. (Of course you may have already tried both these options) but if not that might just help.

Good luck!
"How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortunes of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it..." - Adam Smith

Old 07-01-2009, 03:08 AM

Hi everyone.
Firstly thanks for the responses, and sorry I did not respond sooner, but work has been killing me, and I have not had a chance to work on this for a bit.

EowynCarter. I got the info using lsusb. If you could do one as well, and give me the output from that so I can compare it maybe helpful in figuring out what is going on. The fact that you say it is shown as "samsung yp-p3" for you does not bode well for me :-(.

electron. Yes i have tried in on multiple machines, a linux machine, an osx machine, and a windows machine.

MojoPatrol. The device doesnt get properly recognized when plugged in so I can not mount the device under any machine. I did call samsung, but it was very difficult to communicate with them as I dont speak german. The man gave me an address to mail the device to, but because of his accent I was not really able to understand it.

My current plan, is to let the battery die completely since I can not take it out, and then try and reconnect it, and hopefully it will come back to life. If that does not work I will try getting in touch with samsung again.

Once again thanks for everyone's help.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:08 AM

Hi to you all!

Unfortunately I have the same problem here as described by morgothan. The player is "dead" and will not be recognized by my computer (Windows & Linux).

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgothan View Post

My current plan, is to let the battery die completely since I can not take it out, and then try and reconnect it, and hopefully it will come back to life. If that does not work I will try getting in touch with samsung again.

Once again thanks for everyone's help.
Did this solve your problem?

Many thanks for any help

Peter

Old 04-11-2010, 08:49 AM

I donīt know many about the p3īs firmware, but i know from my friendīs iPod touch that pmps also have a BIOS. The iPod had a kind of recovery mode like my old Sansa e260... if the p3 has this mode too, you can try this way, but donīt ask ME, i donīt know about this....???

Why donīt you send it to samsung...??

Old 04-12-2010, 05:14 AM

Hi Carsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsten View Post
I donīt know many about the p3īs firmware, but i know from my friendīs iPod touch that pmps also have a BIOS. The iPod had a kind of recovery mode like my old Sansa e260... if the p3 has this mode too, you can try this way, but donīt ask ME, i donīt know about this....???

Why donīt you send it to samsung...??
Many thanks for your reply. There is a "reset-button" which does not work. So I contacted Samsung this morning and they asked me to send it back. I tried to avoid that and was hoping for another solution.