android
Old 06-23-2009, 07:53 AM

Default Turning the P3 into a true phone

Hi, I'm new here and just got myself the Samsung P3. I think it is a very cool device.

I was playing around with the bluetooth phone function recently, making and receiving calls and it crossed my mind what if Samsung made a addon which attach to the connector at the bottom which turns this into a true phone. This addon would contain the SIM card and small enough to not make the P3 much bigger than it is. If this is not possible, maybe create a bluetooth addon or even a clipon to contain the SIM card and phone stuff. It doesn't have to contain any keypads as this would be provided by the P3. Just make it small enough to not make it noticeable.

I think this would make the P3 a killer and sales would just take off from there.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-23-2009, 09:08 AM

well i like this idea, i dont like phones with media capabilities but i would have a media player that had a phone .. there is a difference .. honest

Old 06-23-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maderin1 View Post
well i like this idea, i dont like phones with media capabilities but i would have a media player that had a phone .. there is a difference .. honest
Me too. Phones with media capabilities somehow feels "lacking". They try to do everything but none of them right. The P3 excels in what it does which is music and video. Just add a basic phone functionaility to it in its current form factor without adding unnecessary bulk.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Or you could just get any of Samsung's recent touchscreen phones. You'll get all of the P3's features and phone service to boot.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Or you could just get any of Samsung's recent touchscreen phones. You'll get all of the P3's features and phone service to boot.
I've tried a few of those. The UI doesn't seem "right" and overly complicated. The one on the P3 is a lot easier to navigate. They are also a lot bigger to put in the pocket. I also don't know if the music and video capabilities are as good as the P3 as they are not dedicated media players. I just want good music and video with phone abilities as a side bonus instead of the other way around.

Maybe I'm asking too much

Old 06-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Banned

Battery life would take a hit. Already I find the battery life on the P3 not that great.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:33 AM

well for me its not the point that the phones from samsung are essentially got P3 abilities, i have a possibly irrational hatred of phones/mobiles and just use them as and when necessary, so for me if it were a P3 (a PMP) with phone addon than i would go for that because then it would still, to me, be a PMP first and not a phone, also all i would personally want is phone and text and better address book, the plugin module could even house a small battery for standby purposes and use the main battery whan actually using it as a phone

i know it sounds daft but its just me, no matter ehat my phone has on it i only ever use text and calls so for me and addon would give just the right amount of functionality

Old 06-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The concept isn't a bad one, so long as the "add on" is right. I see endcaps of very cheap pay-as-you-go phones in almost every store I visit. If the adapter for the P2/P3 had such a plan with it, then it might make a viable alternative to using the P2/P3 with a real cell phone on an expensive monthy plan.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
well for me its not the point that the phones from samsung are essentially got P3 abilities, i have a possibly irrational hatred of phones/mobiles and just use them as and when necessary, so for me if it were a P3 (a PMP) with phone addon than i would go for that because then it would still, to me, be a PMP first and not a phone, also all i would personally want is phone and text and better address book, the plugin module could even house a small battery for standby purposes and use the main battery whan actually using it as a phone

i know it sounds daft but its just me, no matter ehat my phone has on it i only ever use text and calls so for me and addon would give just the right amount of functionality
We seem to think alike. I was thinking of the exact same things! I just need a basic phone + sms + address book. That's all.

Media player first and phone second. Not the other way around.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:19 PM

I don't have a BT phone, but I see the P3 has the speaker (top) and microphone (bottom) set up a lot like a phone. Also, there is an option to have the player permanently on. Battery life would suck & you couldn't SMS, but with those two features its at least 50% a phone...!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:45 AM

Default Something else that would be pretty cool is...

Accessing the internet. I know the P3 doesn't have wi fi, but PDA's and phones can access the internet using bluetooth, a bluetooth dongle and a computer. It's some internet sharing thing, I don't know how it works. Anyway, can a P3 do the same thing with opera mini or something. it would have to work with the touch screen though. Has anyone done this?

Old 09-03-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
No DNSe either, I think.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whhooottt!! View Post
Accessing the internet. I know the P3 doesn't have wi fi, but PDA's and phones can access the internet using bluetooth, a bluetooth dongle and a computer. It's some internet sharing thing, I don't know how it works. Anyway, can a P3 do the same thing with opera mini or something. it would have to work with the touch screen though. Has anyone done this?
Do you mean using bluetooth to create a modem connection o.o I never bothered to really try it, but if you have a computer with you, I don't see the point of having to set everything up to have internet on the P3 xDD maybe if they put in a full QWERTY keyboard, then I'd think about it XD

But on the phone issue......it does work well already and the ability to use it as its own phone would be nice, but I don't know if that's ever gonna happen xDD it's good though.

Samsung wouldn't want to kill their own phone sales by making the P3 uberly awesome xD although if the P3 was able to be a "real" phone I'd pick it over any Samsung phone any day......

Old 10-13-2009, 02:47 AM

not worth it!!! even if it is possible it is much better just to buy a phone it would cut down battery by a tonne and its processor would take a hit leading to even more technical glitches with the p3

Old 12-05-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashiiya View Post
I'd pick it over any Samsung phone any day......
Anybody would. Samsung, for the most part, makes terrible cell phones (at least in my experience).

This is a cool idea though, but people are right, the processor and battery would take huge hits. Maybe for the next edition of the P3, though, they could put a faster processor and bigger battery, then this might be a possibility. I, personally, also like the idea of having a media player with a phone added on (hate to admit it, but the iPhone does a decent job at this) since all I really use on my phone is text and the occasional call. It would have to have a physical keyboard/number pad though... I can't STAND virtual keyboards and number pads.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:42 AM

How do you make your P3 into a phone?
I mean like what I heard you could make your P3 into a phone by usin your bluetooth.
But how do you do that?

Old 12-19-2009, 08:39 AM

You need a cellphone compatible with that.

Basicly, the p3 conects to your phone using buetooth, and calls are transmited to the p3.
I never used that fonction so I don't know much more.
I can only adive to read both your phone and the p3's manuals.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:29 PM

I transfer some contact number from my phone to my P3. I went to my address book on my P3 and tap on one of the contact name and then tap on the number, but it seem not working at all.
how do i make it dial to call?

Old 12-21-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mL-echo21 View Post
I transfer some contact number from my phone to my P3. I went to my address book on my P3 and tap on one of the contact name and then tap on the number, but it seem not working at all.
how do i make it dial to call?
You have to first connect your phone and P3 via bluetooth. Just like you connect bluetooth headphones.

Once the P3 and cell are connected via bluetooth, the p3 dial under mobile phone will work as long as your phone has advanced enough bluetooth profiles to handle it.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Uhm IMO the iphone is a media player with a phone functionality. Great for media's (apps, vids, etc), decent at best SQ and a pretty Okayish phone functionality.

I agree with you, it does make a difference. That is why it is so popular