android
Old 05-19-2010, 07:34 PM

Default Bluetooth controller

Is there anything like a bluetooth controller where you can adjust the volume or change tracks? I'd like to keep my p3 in my pocket when I'm out and about. I used to have an external control that was integrated into the mic line, but I see that it's not possible yet. It was really convenient and I hate pulling out my p3 every time I want to adjust the volume or change the track. Anyone? Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-19-2010, 09:32 PM

something like this!

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2006/11/6091.ars

Old 05-20-2010, 01:49 AM

I could imagine to use the base device of a motorola sound pilot s705 or another BT-Headset with removable base device.

But I can't see the benefit you expect. You exchange one device by another.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:35 PM

I'm not quite sure what you mean, I actually don't think you know what I'm looking for. Let me clarify myself since I have some time now.

I'm looking for a bluetooth device that I can strap to my wrist. This device has pause/play, skip, and volume controls. Something similar to the Nike Amp+ or the Sony Ericsson MBW line. I would keep my P3 stowed away while I use this wristband device to control it and not have to pull it out every time I want to change tracks.

I guess another question I should ask is, could the P3 support such a device?

Old 05-22-2010, 01:04 AM

It could but it's usually tied to a headset device. I think it's part of the AD2P profile for "advanced stereo sound". But it may just be part of the original headset profile that gives the external device controls over the parent device.

It is possible. But not sure if the P3's current firmware would support only using the control parts without also demanding the stereo signal to also be piped via bluetooth.

It's been awhile since I've done any reading on bluetooth profiles and their uses and specifications etc. I've forgotten some of the details. I do know that there are bluetooth headsets that let you control volume and track switching via bluetooth. So it's quite feasible, just not sure how "supported" your request is, in the P3's current state.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggetz View Post
I guess another question I should ask is, could the P3 support such a device?
Yes....it could support 'such a device' this all day long. It is part of the AVRCP profile of Bluetooth. Most AVRCP devices do not target your desired use because apparently they don't see the need you do. I surely don't. Apple does and doubt that anyone else see this 'need'. There are controls you can get intergrated into headphones. There are pedants for taking the BT stream and converting it back an audio jack which also can control the player remotely. Those are your known choices. Either will accomplish what your looking for minus a wrist strap.

If Nike used a standard BT profile instead of a hacked version, it would also work with any othe BT device which supports AVRCP. They don't so it won't.

Your apparent problem is you want a device identical to ipod accessory....why don't you just get an ipod? Get an ipod, buy a BT headphone, or get a BT to audio jack adapter. Those are the choices.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:46 AM

Well, in my situation, I use public transportation in Korea everyday. In the mornings, people are elbow to elbow, and it's a hassle to wiggle for more elbow room in order to play with my controls. It would be much easier to hit a button on my wrist to do so.

There are products like this: http://www.geardiary.com/2009/08/02/...th-wrist-band/

To me, this seems a bit useless. But, maybe to some people, it's a God send. So, I think my idea would be a tad more useful that the one just presented. I wouldn't have a problem with the inline controls, which is what i'm used to with my Sony Ericsson cellphone - and I loved it. Too bad most if not all of them are made for ipods. I already have a pair of Custom 3's on the way, so this idea is basically useless.

Why not get an ipod? Cause Apple makes it. And BT headphones suck.

Maybe those low quality Chinese engineers haven't thought of this idea yet? I think I'll shoot them an email....

Old 05-24-2010, 03:17 PM

Hello,

I sometimes use this little guy for the P3... http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Bluetooth-2-...item3cad5a8cce

It's nice to use when I'm working in a dusty environment and want to keep the P3 safely out of the way. There are other sellers as well of the same device.

Good luck

Old 05-25-2010, 06:28 AM

That is actually.....an EXCELLENT idea! I'm getting those Custom 3's, and I carry a messenger bag every day. This can act as a clip for my earphone cord to my bag's strap as well as a music controller! I'm just a little concerned, cause I won't actually be using the bluetooth headphone part, it might drain the battery more than I'd like. Also, while pairing this, would it allow me to still plug into the wired port?

I found this on the web, and it's pretty sexy. Just not sure where to buy it yet.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/25...showimage.html

Thanks for the tip, it really helped!

Old 05-25-2010, 07:58 AM

Hey, just dug around one of my favorite places to shop online:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8422

same thing for $13 shipped worldwide. I like it.

I'd be hesitant if I actually found a wrist band with the features I'm looking for, but it turned out to be unsexy. This works much better.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
This can act as a clip for my earphone cord to my bag's strap as well as a music controller! I'm just a little concerned, cause I won't actually be using the bluetooth headphone part, it might drain the battery more than I'd like
Any device that supports both AVRCP & A2DP will connect with both profiles and your net power savings will be zero. The A2DP will be active regardless of whether it is being used or not. It doesn't care if you are still using the player's headphone jack. It may be the same or more if the jack is active along with A2DP. It all depends on your volume settings. Surely, you're not saving any battery on the player with the sceme you devised.

An AVRCP only device (which seems to be very rare) without A2DP probably wouldn't save enough to matter because it still would have a 100% duty cycle connection just as A2DP. I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if the AVRCP profile is nothing more than bits embedded in the A2DP word stream. AVRCP only in that instance would transmitting the same word size with only part of it containing valuable data. The rest would be nothing but still transmitted.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:00 AM

You will find that with Bluetooth enabled, you will get lucky to get a solid 4 hours of use out of it. Bluetooth drains the battery very quickly.

Just fair warning.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:59 AM

I get between 5-7.25 hours of continuous use depending on volume.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:30 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh1969pa View Post
I get between 5-7.25 hours of continuous use depending on volume.
Wow, I never got so lucky..... Then again I think I put my volume to max being I used the BT speaker volume to control it.

I ended up buying a black and decker pocket power to get another 4 hours of use to make it through my work day.

Good to know, lower volume gets you more BT time. Thanks for the tip.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:09 PM

Seems like alot of crap can determine the battery life besides the obvious stuff (EQ, DSNe). Some headphones and speakers do better than others. Maybe the RF conditon on them is better. The better the antenna placement, the less the player has to gain up to keep the connection. If I pair it with a SBH600 or Sony DRBT-50, I cut the volume setting down on the player and increase it at the headphone. Since they have more than enough battery capacity, I hit the headphone battery harder. Also, EDR is suppose to lower consumption. Using an EDR compatible headphone or speaker along with the EDR capability in the player in theory should help.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Is there anything like a bluetooth controller where you can adjust the volume or change tracks? I'd like to keep my p3 in my pocket when I'm out and about. I used to have an external control that was integrated into the mic line, but I see that it's not possible yet. It was really convenient and I hate pulling out my p3 every time I want to adjust the volume or change the track. Anyone? Thanks!
Hi! Has anyone found good answer to this question? I'm looking for such AVRCP controller too. Now, when it's winter it's not so easy to find my phone under jacket, especially when I travel by bike or public communication (I always use wired earphones there but the integrated controller isn't sufficient). I'd love to have wireless mobile phone controller with switch and volume adjustment able to strap to my wrist or bike.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:42 AM

You can use every BT headset supporting the AVCRP profile.

F.i. http://www.handybeutel.de/telefon-he...igaset-m2.html

The desciption says that it can be used for remote controlling of a BT audio device, what is exactly what you want.

The only bad things are the BT transmittion of the audio stream with the A2DP profile, what can't be switched off on the P3, while my Windows Mobile device can do this and the missing volume control.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froes View Post
The only bad things are the BT transmittion of the audio stream
Thank you, this is similar solution. The most painful drawback you meant I believe is the endurance of accu (due to audio stream transmission). Moreover I can't be sure if my phone (this is not Samsung P3, I found this thread looking for controller) do not stop audio transmission through wires when switching to A2DP. I highly prefer wired earphones.
Turning off audio stream source as you suggest (Windows Mobile) may not be effective to save juice in clip. But of course your solution is worth attention if there's nothing more fitting my needs so once again thanks for your reply.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:48 AM

But, whoa, much closer to my needs is this Atomic9 - beside being not too wieldy and with superfluos loudspeaker, it looks interesting.