android
Old 07-01-2009, 04:16 PM

Unhappy Zen X-Fi 8 GB Dead After Two Weeks

I actually had been super careful with my 8GB Zen X-Fi because I had not purchased a pouch or cover for it.

But two weeks after my first use, I went to turn it on...And nothing happened.

I figured that the battery had lost it's charge, so I plugged it into my computer and nothing. The power LED on the Zen stayed dark and my computer wouldn't acknowledge that it was plugged in. The reset button didn't work, either. It turned into a $130 paperweight.

Now I had read about the reliability issues that a minority of people have had with the Zens, so while I don't enjoy having to deal with it...It wasn't a total surprise. I purchased it from NewEgg which has a reputation for fast replacement within the 30 day return period, although it took $7.50 to ship it back.

A new replacement Zen X-Fi is on it's way from NewEgg. Now if this NEXT one dies prematurely or acts up, I think that I will join the "Anything but Zen" crowd.

Addendum: Yes, I really liked my Zen while it worked.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-15-2009, 05:17 AM

Default Update

I received my replacement Zen X-fi from Newegg and I am running it through it's paces.

Even though the first one is a dud, I love this thing.

I have some upper frequency hearing loss from an industrial accident, and with the Zen X-Fi's higher output and equalizer it's much easier to tune to the frequencies that I can hear.

MIT OpenCourseWare
videos play without conversion and live on a 16gb SDHC card...With such things, SDHC integration is not a big deal.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:59 AM

Great that things work fine for you now !

Old 08-20-2009, 04:42 AM

Well, my replacement lasted a little over a month and then it died just like my first. The unit won't power on, nor be recognized by my computer when I plug it in via USB. I am very disappointed to say the least.

That's it for Zen X-Fi and Creative music players in general in my opinion. Whether it has substandard components failing, poor engineering or something wrong with their quality assurance practices...The Zen X-Fi is a dismal failure.

I'll put in to Creative for a replacement/repair under warranty, but only under principle. I'd rather have my damn money back.

I only wish I had kept my collection of bookmarks to different players I had made while researching them, but I deleted it after buying the Zen X-Fi.

Anything but Zen. Anything but Creative.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggeek View Post
Well, my replacement lasted a little over a month and then it died just like my first. The unit won't power on, nor be recognized by my computer when I plug it in via USB. I am very disappointed to say the least.

That's it for Zen X-Fi and Creative music players in general in my opinion. Whether it has substandard components failing, poor engineering or something wrong with their quality assurance practices...The Zen X-Fi is a dismal failure.

I'll put in to Creative for a replacement/repair under warranty, but only under principle. I'd rather have my damn money back.

I only wish I had kept my collection of bookmarks to different players I had made while researching them, but I deleted it after buying the Zen X-Fi.

Anything but Zen. Anything but Creative.

I understand that your player has turned out to be a faulty one and I'm just as disappointed as you are, but then the number of cases in which Zen X-fi has performed up to it's potential has been in majority, so one can't really comment whether there was some major mechanical fault in it's making.

As far as your research goes, I don't think you should be very disappointed since there are many new players in the market now, with a lot of price and feature variations, so it should be pretty interesting for you to go out and search for the best one according to your preferences. And of course, the feature provided by ABI where you can compare the players will help you a great deal.

Best of Luck

Tags
broken, dead, return