android
Old 07-03-2009, 12:48 AM

Default Responsiveness of P3's UI

I've seen a video comparing the responsiveness of P3 and S9 and I find it rather slow. Has the recent firmware changed that? And how do you guys find the responsiveness?

ps.. I'm the kind who like to navigate fast and don't like to press one button and wait a while for it to display the next screen.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-03-2009, 02:07 AM

No idea about the S9 but I started out with firmware version 2.10 and use 2.14 now. The incremental changes have made the UI smoother than it was before. Depending on the date of the video you've seen, it could bear an improvement now.

What you have to remember though is that you arent going to get ipoo like smoothness, if thats what you want you might be slightly disappointed. If its sound quality and versatality you're after the P3 is one among the best.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:39 AM

Without a link to the video I couldn't really tell you. But the latest FW is good, some lag when scrolling 'back' (like songs > artist > album > music) but there are loads of cool features (like holding down back button goes to your home screen, holding down music button on home screen takes you direct to now playing screen etc) which enhance the experience too. Coverflow is pretty laggy but it is laggy on every player.
The UI isn't super-crazy fast but is nice, responsive and well thought out. Maybe I'll post a quick vid for u if you really want...

Old 07-03-2009, 06:45 AM
Banned

It's nice and smooth, still room for improvement, but much better than 1.15 EU which the player shipped with. I can't speak for the S9.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:35 AM

Here's the video by anythingbutipod using firmware 2.10. Is the 2.14 version comparable to the S9 in this video? especially when one presses the 'song' button to enter into the list of songs. In the P3, the lag is quite obvious.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:13 AM
Banned

When you press 'songs', there is a slight delay- perhaps just under a second. It's no big deal, though, and scrolling from the start of the list - I have 1600 songs on it - to the end is really quite quick. Too bad it doesn't have alphabetical search like the Sonys, but the improvements made so far and the quickness of the UI are quite impressive.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:54 AM

i find the UI can stick now and again, and a few presses is needed to get an option selected
the dragging on lists produces a blur to the text which is odd, but the slider bar does not blur the text and is faster

Old 07-04-2009, 01:08 PM

Slides smooth enough for me. If you drag on menus, it looks real good.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:17 PM

The only thing I find a bit annoying is the time it takes going from music>>artists>>>albums>>>>songs>>>>>now playing. I mean, it's not bad it just feels like when I touch an artist it doesn't go to the albums as I touch it or right after I touch it.It feels more like a second after I've touched it the screen with change. Otherwise all other aspects of the UI is fine for me.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The S9 has a bit of a lag in the scrolling of music as well (FW 2.31b). No player is perfect, but the P3 is more than acceptable. I mean, for the SQ and features you get, coupled w/the darn good price!!!! WooT,..... sounds good to me. Same as the S9 IMO. TBH, it's really about aesthetics. Which is more visually appealing to you, and if the video out feature is a selling point (some will use it, some never).

Old 07-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Anyone that worries about the smooth flow of the UI is missing the point IMO. Can you find the song you're looking for quickly? Can you get from photos to music to video lists with satisfactory thrift? The P3 is far "smoother" than the P2, but since the P2 doesn't make me tap once before I can tap again to skip a song I prefer the P2. Finding a song takes exactly the same time on either. After the new-device smell wears off I promise you won't care a bit about gliding lists.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

just a 0.xx second different than other player is not a big deal, i love my P3, very worth for money

Old 07-04-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjrock View Post
holding down music button on home screen takes you direct to now playing screen
I've found this only works with the 3 default UI's. Doesn't seem to work with custom UI icons. So you have to click, music, now playing and wait the moment for it to come up.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:08 AM

yup, custom UI's foil the press and hold of the music icon to get to 'Now Playing', perhaps the good people who've researched the Flash bit can help us with that?

Old 07-10-2009, 01:43 PM

what about when scrolling through a long song list? do u have to press down relatively hard on the screen before scrolling it? I tried the one on display and realized that I have to press down hard on the screen to scroll. But, that was in the menu section. There was little songs inside for me to try the song list.

Cuz with the itouch, all you need is a light touch and it'll respond.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:43 PM

All you need is a very light touch on all screens. Puts other touch screens to shame!

Stop the loudness war - Turn Me Up!

Old 07-10-2009, 03:48 PM

Getting to where you need to be is a breeze, scrolling big lists is super easy. Smoothness is nice I agree, the scrolling looks pretty but if you can get to where you wanna be nice & quick, thats what matters mosts. The Cowon D2 used to drive me crazy with missed / false touches... happens seldom on the p3, if at all...