android
Old 12-04-2006, 07:56 PM

what if my songs are japanese stuff :/

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-04-2006, 08:00 PM

and btw... just stick in the folder is WAY easier...

Old 12-04-2006, 08:02 PM

I don’t know about the language, but you shouldn’t have any problems tagging jpg’s to your songs. What or how are your song names displayed (characters or words)?
Check MediaMonkey, Mp3tag, or search the form for alternate programs.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-04-2006, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
If your tagging from Amazon via MediaMonkey, it’s better to check the file size and correct as Slaughter has stated before you tag to your Music. Example: after Amazon, Google, etc brings up the album art, right click the album art and save to your hard drive instead of taging it then. Check the .jpg with any good photo editing software of your choice (300x300, and under 32kb). I have found that 50% of the time what you get from the net is not what will work with my e260, so I correct and save to HD. Once done, to imbed with MediaMonkey, highlight all the songs you want to tag, right click in the area where the album art displays and click edit album art properties, click add and follow the prompts to imbed your corrected album art from your hard drive. If you understand this method and follow it, it works 100% of the time.
Thanks for the info. So, I tried what you suggested... I removed the album in question completely from my Sansa, saved the .jpg again from amazon.com, resized in photoshop to 200x200, filesize= 27.9kb. I even renamed it folder.jpg. Then I did what you said, went back into MM and found the songs, highlighted and edited album art properties... and it still doesn't work. The only thing I could possibly come up with is that I'm trying to embed it to .wma files vs. mp3 files... I don't know if that would make a difference though.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:58 PM

.wma files dont use id3 tag i believe... the easiest surest way is just to stick album art.jpg, or folder.jpg into the album folder... and btw, the song MUST be in an album folder... can't be in the artist folder..

Old 12-05-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kururu View Post
.wma files dont use id3 tag i believe... the easiest surest way is just to stick album art.jpg, or folder.jpg into the album folder... and btw, the song MUST be in an album folder... can't be in the artist folder..
I checked it out and I'm pretty sure you're right. I have the 280 and was just converting to .wma to fit more songs onto it. I wonder if a program such as mp3tag (which supports .wma tagging), would be more effective? It's just strange, all the files I have loaded on the sansa so far are .wma format, and tagged through MM. Yet some art does not display, while other art does. I have the files foldered first by artist, then by album name, and in the album folder i have the cover art... I guess I'll need to keep exploring, see if I can come up with a solution.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
It's not a common problem because album art works perfectly fine with this player, embedded or dropped into the folder of the album. When it doesn't work, it is typically user error. So embed 32k or less images in your tags, or drop the art into the album folder. I get all mine from amazon.com and resize to 300x300 and I have never had a problem.
that's not exactly true. Sometimes it's the result of incomplete or inaccurate instructions in this forum.

At one time, WMP11 did not work with Sansa's for down loading album art:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter
As for now, I don't know of a way to use MTP mode with WMP11 and have it transfer album art. Some one has mentioned possibly getting ti work in MSC mode, but that defeats the purpose of using WMP11. So enjoy WMP11 w/o album art, or use WMP10 which works fine.
and:
Quote:
WMP11 works with embedded album art, but not jpg in the folder album art. If I remember corrrectly, some who have tried reverting back to 10 could not get album art to work again. Apparently some WMP11 code is left behind that prevented 10 from working with album art.
and:
Quote:
Per the WMP11 documentation, the e200 does not support WMP11 album art transfer. Sandisk needs to release a compatible firmware.
certainly not the most clear, consistant manner of instruction. You can see how someone may read these comments and be confused. Plus, some people will post something like, "yeah, I have all my album art for my music. I just drag + drop it into the sansa, and it works every time!"

only problem, they always forget to mention whether it's in MCS or MTP mode, or if the art file has been renamed to "Album Art" or "Folder" or whatever.

So, all this conflicting direction leaves a lot of people trying to do exactly what was posted - step-by-step - and still not get it to work.

We have seen these same questions asked by new Sansa owners all the way back to April. And yet we can't establish a sticky thread for FAQ's or sure-fire instructions on how to get this stuff to work. Over at epiZENter.net, which is a fansite for just Creative DAP's there is ONE SINGLE moderator there, and he has compiled a Library of Congress of reviews, instructions, information and data about the Zen players. We have an army of moderators here - 3 or 4 alone for the Sandisk forum - but we can't get a sticky started?

If the method for transferring album art, playlists, videos, photos, etc. changes every month, or with every firmware upgrade, then I can understand all the confusion over just 2 or 3 simple processes for transferring album art.

But otherwise if we are confident that a certain method will work 90% to 95% of the time, then all we should have to do is sticky it somewhere, then point/link to it for anyone who asks in the future. Sorry if I sound like I am ranting, but I was one of those people early on that had a hard time understanding how to get the art on my sansa because the directions were never accurate, or complete.

As for me, I do not use WMP - either 10 or 11 - but use Media Monkey. I always tag my music with MM. I sync my music with MM 70% of the time, and drag + drop with Sansa explorer %30 (MTP mode). About 70% of the time with both methods I get the album art to transfer. For the rest I just switch the Sansa to MSC mode, and then drag + drop the art into the album folders, and rename it to "Album Art". With this method all art dragged using MSC mode shows up on my Sansa.

Still, it would be nice if there was one sure-fire method to get ALL my music onto my Sansas, and have the album art show up, in one all-in-one process. I'll keep watching the threads if any one can confirm to a high degree if there is such a process ( I mean like 10 out of 10 users verify a working process, instead of 2 saying one way works, then 2 saying it doesn't work for them).

Old 12-05-2006, 08:07 PM

Default Album Art 100% of the Time via MediaMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacene View Post
Still, it would be nice if there was one sure-fire method to get ALL my music onto my Sansas, and have the album art show up, in one all-in-one process. I'll keep watching the threads if any one can confirm to a high degree if there is such a process ( I mean like 10 out of 10 users verify a working process, instead of 2 saying one way works, then 2 saying it doesn't work for them).
Ok Lacene, I’ll take your challenge on giving directions, but I strongly recommend you read the help files, as this is where I learned the how to and I am not an instruction writer. Currently I own the e260, use it in MSC mode and only rip my own music. I rip with MM Gold at VBR ~ 192kbps – Very High Quality + and imbed the album art into the Mp3 files. I also use Mp3tag to edit entire artist at a time, shorten long file names, etc., etc., etc. (Sorry but you’ll need to read the help files for Mp3tag).

Steps w/MM:
1. Insert CD, once you see tracks appear, click tools, get album info from Freedb, and click rip selected CD to hard drive.
2. Once step 1 is completed go to Artist click on the appropriate album and all the songs appear on right side (these songs are already tagged if you set your settings correctly, ID3v2 only). Click on first song and shift click onto the last song.
3. Click tools, auto tag from Amazon. If the album art appears rather than clicking on auto-tag (if you do, not all your album art will work and you risk the retagging from Amazon), right click on the album art (cover), save as picture. This will allow you to check the file size in windows explorer and keep your original tags the same (you can correct file size with your picture editing software if needed). Import the picture by right clicking in the album art area (lower left of MM), click edit album art properties, click on add button (lower left within new window). This will allow you to import any picture from anywhere on your hard drive or where you saved the picture. Under this button make sure you have Apply to all tracks on the Album checked (if you want to do the whole album at once). As long as the picture is 32kb or less, this app will imbed it to the mp3 file.
4. If the album art does not show up in Amazon, click tools, scripts, Google art finder. If the album art you want appears follow step 3. If the album art does not show up on the Google window you can change the search terms, if that does not work you have a drop down that can be changed to check Itunes. If that does not work, you can scan your album art and edit with program of your choice and imbed with MM (2nd part of step 3). If you do not have this script installed on MM, you can pick it up here: http://trixmoto.net/mm/search.php?all=scripts (Google Art Finder 2.6).

PS As you can see I do not write help files for a living, hope you can understand as this method works 100% of the time for me. LOL

Old 12-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I see how it is confusing, but I am clear in each quote above, you just need to put the pieces together. My advice to everyone, there is no need to use WMP11 now, unless you use Urge. Use MTP mode with WMP10 (auto-sync), MM, or Winamp and you will have no problems with album art. And I don't recommend embedding art because of the size restrictions and having to tag each song, but these are only my opinions on the subject.

As a mod, I don't feel it is my duty or other mods duties to create every sticky. There are plenty of people who come here everyday who can create something. I have time to answer a few questions here and there. I would love to write an Album Art guide since I can get it to work 100% of the time as well as a QuickTime Conversion guide, but I don't have the time, or patience to do it right now. I spent way too much of my time working to get the first firmware out to everyone and I am taking a break for a while. So be patient and someday in the next month or two, I might write the guides. Feel free to start an Album Art guide and we can sticky it.

How To Remove the Hebrew Beta firmware

Old 12-05-2006, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Ok Lacene, I’ll take your challenge on giving directions, but I strongly recommend you read the help files, as this is where I learned the how to and I am not an instruction writer. Currently I own the e260, use it in MSC mode and only rip my own music. I rip with MM Gold at VBR ~ 192kbps – Very High Quality + and imbed the album art into the Mp3 files. I also use Mp3tag to edit entire artist at a time, shorten long file names, etc., etc., etc. (Sorry but you’ll need to read the help files for Mp3tag).

Steps w/MM:
1. Insert CD, once you see tracks appear, click tools, get album info from Freedb, and click rip selected CD to hard drive.
2. Once step 1 is completed go to Artist click on the appropriate album and all the songs appear on right side (these songs are already tagged if you set your settings correctly, ID3v2 only). Click on first song and shift click onto the last song.
3. Click tools, auto tag from Amazon. If the album art appears rather than clicking on auto-tag (if you do, not all your album art will work and you risk the retagging from Amazon), right click on the album art (cover), save as picture. This will allow you to check the file size in windows explorer and keep your original tags the same (you can correct file size with your picture editing software if needed). Import the picture by right clicking in the album art area (lower left of MM), click edit album art properties, click on add button (lower left within new window). This will allow you to import any picture from anywhere on your hard drive or where you saved the picture. Under this button make sure you have Apply to all tracks on the Album checked (if you want to do the whole album at once). As long as the picture is 32kb or less, this app will imbed it to the mp3 file.
4. If the album art does not show up in Amazon, click tools, scripts, Google art finder. If the album art you want appears follow step 3. If the album art does not show up on the Google window you can change the search terms, if that does not work you have a drop down that can be changed to check Itunes. If that does not work, you can scan your album art and edit with program of your choice and imbed with MM (2nd part of step 3). If you do not have this script installed on MM, you can pick it up here: http://trixmoto.net/mm/search.php?all=scripts (Google Art Finder 2.6).

PS As you can see I do not write help files for a living, hope you can understand as this method works 100% of the time for me. LOL
Thanks for the effort, Ray! Unfortunately, I know that I have this possibly genetic problem of needing to type out epic essays to get the simplist ideas across. Because of this, I certainly understand how some would not want to read the posts I post completely, as it may take all day :P . But as I posted above, my main issue was not tagging my music with album art. I basically mirror you in regards to all programs you use, and tag my music the exact same way.

My concern *was* finding a sure-fire way to transfer album art to my Sansas AFTER they are tagged. As I said, I roughly succeeded with 2/3rds of my library, but had quite a bit left off. I learned how to complete the transfers by reading most if not all the threads I could find about dragging the .jpg's in MCS mode, so I'm OK now. But it took a lot of left and right turns before I finally resolved the issue. I still would like to see that all-in-one process, though. Thanks again for your help!

Old 12-06-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the effort, Ray!
I was trying to post a step by step method that works 100% of the time for me and is really not hard to do. Hope it can help some newbie’s.

Quote:
I still would like to see that all-in-one process, though. Thanks again for your help!
As far as a program that you just push a button and all is done is wishful thinking, as I have had to scan a good 10% of all my album art cause I can’t find the album art anywhere on the web.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:45 AM

Quote:
As for me, I do not use WMP - either 10 or 11 - but use Media Monkey. I always tag my music with MM. I sync my music with MM 70% of the time, and drag + drop with Sansa explorer %30 (MTP mode). About 70% of the time with both methods I get the album art to transfer. For the rest I just switch the Sansa to MSC mode, and then drag + drop the art into the album folders, and rename it to "Album Art". With this method all art dragged using MSC mode shows up on my Sansa.
Now I think that there are two possibilities in Media Monkey: either try to write album art as tag or just link to album artwork file. I always use the 2nd one. MM does not write artwork into MP3 as a tag but always creates an extra file, then shrinks it to somewhat about 200x200px and renames to "Album Art.jpg" while synchronization with sansa in MTP mode.

I NEVER had any problems with this procedure!

Old 12-07-2006, 10:41 AM

Quote:
As far as a program that you just push a button and all is done is wishful thinking, as I have had to scan a good 10% of all my album art cause I can’t find the album art anywhere on the web.
I don't believe that it should be much of a problem doing this. As I said before, already a large portion of album art that's embedded gets transferred to my Sansas in MTP mode. Just about a third does not. Maybe it has to do with the file size, or resolution, of the art. Maybe one day I'll check for any pattern. The one's that do not transfer during syncing, though, I have to drag in MSC mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vygi
Now I think that there are two possibilities in Media Monkey: either try to write album art as tag or just link to album artwork file. I always use the 2nd one. MM does not write artwork into MP3 as a tag but always creates an extra file, then shrinks it to somewhat about 200x200px and renames to "Album Art.jpg" while synchronization with sansa in MTP mode.

wow, I always have problems with this method! In MTP mode, either syncing (with MM or WMP11) or dragging using the sansa explorer, I simply cannot get separate .jpg files to cross over. Windows seems to not let me. I get an error msg saying that the .jpg file is not supported, and that I should "skip" it.

With the album art placed in the album folder as a .jpg - either named "album art" or "folder" - when I sync the music using MM or WMP11, the music files transfer, but the .jpg files do not. Once again, I'm left to drag the art over in MSC mode.

It's no big deal, really. I have working methods to get viewable album art for all my music on my Sansas, and it only averages around a third of my downloads, so it's not that bad. I never sync my entire library, but rather choose to sync certain albums or music files at a time, so it'll never be a large mess to clean. Thanks for the help, guys!

Old 12-07-2006, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vygi View Post

vygi, all my album art is written to tags (ID3v2) with MediaMonkey and works 100% of the time if I drag & drop or if I sync it. I am only using MSC and have not tried my method in MTP, but I don’t see why it would not.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:46 AM

I'm going to attempt to give a step by step procession which may help shed some light on the difficulties I've been experiencing... A simple example, I have two purchased cd's 311's "Self-Titled" (S/T from here out) and "Don't Tread On Me" (DTOM from here out). Alright, so first things first, I rip them to my hard drive using MusicMatch, mp3 at a 192 setting. After this, I use a media converter to alter the format to a 96 bitrate .wma for my Sansa (The mp3s are kept on my comp). The wma files I save in a temp folder called "converted", which then has the folder "311", and inside this "S/T" and "DTOM", inside of each goes their particular tracks. So, I refresh my library on MediaMonkey, finding these new .wmas. Lookup album art on Amazon, find required pictures. Edit pictures to 200x200, making sure they're under 32kb in size.

When all is said and done, the art for "S/T" works, but the "DTOM" does not. This makes absolutely no sense at all to me.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psucavvy View Post
So, I refresh my library on MediaMonkey, finding these new .wmas. Lookup album art on Amazon, find required pictures. Edit pictures to 200x200, making sure they're under 32kb in size.

When all is said and done, the art for "S/T" works, but the "DTOM" does not. This makes absolutely no sense at all to me.
psucavvy, Did you imbed it directly from amazon or did you save to your HD, edit it and then imbed it? Second did you edit anything else on the file (Artist, Album Name, etc.)? Did you move the file within MM after you imbedded it? Are you syncing or dragging and dropping? Did you try refreshing just that song/album after you were done? Did you remove ID3v1 tag? Try retracing your steps and I think you’ll find the solution. I had a similar problem once and retraced my steps and cleared the issue. I’m basically doing the same thing. I only use MSC, only drag & drop and all album art is working 100% of the time.

Old 12-09-2006, 08:55 AM

Ray, I was embedding directly from Amazon, AND saving and editing on my HD... I figured out that starting over was beginning to work. Yesterday I removed one of the albums in question and started from the very beginning by converting mp3 to wma. I then used mp3tag for the album art, and used drag and drop onto the player, and it worked. I guess this is what i'll do with all albums, i was so turned around with everything. It will be time consuming but once I have it done I won't have to worry about it again. Thanks for your thoughts

Old 12-10-2006, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
And I don't recommend embedding art because of the size restrictions and having to tag each song, but these are only my opinions on the subject.

Slaughter, Just a small side note to your opinion, with MediaMonkey you can simultaneously imbed the album art to all songs within an album at the same time.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:30 AM

I got my E250 last week and also had problems with the art, it just wouldn't show. I did everything mentioned in this thread and it didn't work. To make a long story short and illustrate that not all jpg's are created equal, I loaded the jpg's in Irfanview, resaved with "Save As..." and loaded into my Sansa... and it worked.
I have no idea why, something in the original jpg was not to Sansas liking.
It was 200*200 jpg's and original was less than 32k too.

Oh, the originals was downloaded from a website

Old 12-11-2006, 01:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Slaughter, Just a small side note to your opinion, with MediaMonkey you can simultaneously imbed the album art to all songs within an album at the same time.
Thanks for the tip, but with a few hundred albums it would still be a task and after taking a couple months to finally get all my music tagged properly, I will take a break and use the art in folder method for now.

How To Remove the Hebrew Beta firmware