android
Old 07-03-2009, 05:52 PM

Default found wierd small dots on the p3s screen?

i was looking at my samsung p3 today, which i have had for four days, and i noticed these rows of very tiny dots on the screen while it was turned off. the dots first seemed like scratches or dust, but when i couldnt wipe them off i realized it was something else. i can only see them when light is shining on the screen. the dots are spaced slightly apart and cover the whole screen. i was wondering if this was on all the p3s or if i have something wrong with my screen. any help is great, thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-03-2009, 05:59 PM

Its on all of the players

Old 07-03-2009, 06:28 PM

phew! that is a major relief. any idea why? i mean its not like its very attractive...

Old 07-03-2009, 06:37 PM

they're just little sensors for the touchscreen. I have the same dots on my touchscreen cellphone

Old 07-03-2009, 07:03 PM

they measure charge, to find out where you are when you make the circuit. Its what is used to register your fingers.
(I cant find a direct link to this info, so I'll just post an explanation)
"Capacitive touchscreen panel is coated with a material, usually indium tin oxide, that conducts a continuous electrical current across the sensor. The sensor therefore sends a precisely controlled field of electrons in both the horizontal and vertical axes - meaning where you touch it, the screen senses it, and sends the signal both horizontally and vertically. The human body is capacitive as well. Capacitive sensors work based on proximity, and do not have to be directly touched to be triggered."

Old 07-04-2009, 07:10 AM

I guess you are probably referring to the touch grid. There is a pretty clear screenshot of it in the pocketables P3 review, under the Controls section.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:10 PM

You can only see it under a certain light, I'm surprised you noticed it at all!

Old 07-04-2009, 01:07 PM

Usually seen under sunlight, for me at least.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:09 AM

OMG! P3 STD!

Na, just kidding, that's perfectly normal. There's two types of touch screens, one with pressure sensors (Like the LG Dare) and then ones that can sense electrical currents (Itouch, P3, S9, ect.). Because your body has a constant electric charge (like perma-static, but very mild) when you touch the screen the screen as gebal and cabez refered to, senses that electric charge and allows you to do all the wonderful things touch screens allow for. Btw, I have an LG dare, and even pressure sensor touch screens still have a bit of those dome type thingys, so I wouldn't worry about it, I don't think your going to loose street cred for that, at least I hope not.
"How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortunes of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it..." - Adam Smith

Old 07-06-2009, 06:05 PM

We cant judge him for his mistake: we're nerdy enough to know how a captive touch screen works
and I'm sure if you had a touch or any other device with a captive touchscreen you'd notice them. Sometimes, there is no way of avoiding an ugly feature...

Old 07-07-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoPatrol View Post
OMG! P3 STD!

Na, just kidding, that's perfectly normal. There's two types of touch screens, one with pressure sensors (Like the LG Dare) and then ones that can sense electrical currents (Itouch, P3, S9, ect.). Because your body has a constant electric charge (like perma-static, but very mild) when you touch the screen the screen as gebal and cabez refered to, senses that electric charge and allows you to do all the wonderful things touch screens allow for. Btw, I have an LG dare, and even pressure sensor touch screens still have a bit of those dome type thingys, so I wouldn't worry about it, I don't think your going to loose street cred for that, at least I hope not.
Then how come when it is in my pocket, and I forget to put it on hold, it is able to skip songs? Does that current travel through my pocket, etc?

Old 07-07-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triarii117 View Post
Then how come when it is in my pocket, and I forget to put it on hold, it is able to skip songs? Does that current travel through my pocket, etc?
Interesting you mention that actually, the interesting thing about a Capacitive touchscreen is that it measures movement of electrical currents. When your finger touches the screen, because your a great conductor of electricity at that point you've touched the screen, the charge that runs across the screen decreases where you've touched it, because that charge is partially running through you. The sensors on the screen then measures proximity and location on the screen based upon where there was a decrease in the electric current. So essentially, yes the current does travel through your pocket, when the screen touches up against your pocket or your body or if your pocket rubs up against your leg (generating friction and static), if that touch is sustained that cloth can conduct a mild electrical current or that static jumps across to the screen, the screen will detect that change in current and will sometimes (improperly) measure proximity and cause things like song changes.

@ Gebal: Sorry about being an idiot, I have a terrible tendency of stating the obvious
"How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortunes of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it..." - Adam Smith

Old 07-07-2009, 11:15 AM

Wow, I can't see this at all, mind you I have only had mine for half a day so far but I had a very close look.

Normally I can notice them on tablet PC's etc.

Stop the loudness war - Turn Me Up!

Old 07-07-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoPatrol View Post
Interesting you mention that actually, the interesting thing about a Capacitive touchscreen is that it measures movement of electrical currents. When your finger touches the screen, because your a great conductor of electricity at that point you've touched the screen, the charge that runs across the screen decreases where you've touched it, because that charge is partially running through you. The sensors on the screen then measures proximity and location on the screen based upon where there was a decrease in the electric current. So essentially, yes the current does travel through your pocket, when the screen touches up against your pocket or your body or if your pocket rubs up against your leg (generating friction and static), if that touch is sustained that cloth can conduct a mild electrical current or that static jumps across to the screen, the screen will detect that change in current and will sometimes (improperly) measure proximity and cause things like song changes.

@ Gebal: Sorry about being an idiot, I have a terrible tendency of stating the obvious
Ah, that makes sense

Old 07-08-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triarii117 View Post
I noticed it did that with me sometimes. Also when wiping with a cloth to occassionally. A way to fix the problem of it activating or skipping tracks etc while in your trouser/pants pocket is to simply turn it screen outwards